• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plenty vs Plenty More

thelittlechef7

As the title suggests, I'm looking to get Ottolenghi's book Plenty or Plenty More. I am not a vegetarian, but after perusing through a friend's copy of Plenty I loved the imaginative recipes. 

Between the two, which do you prefer? Or, if there are other options for veggie dishes, I'd love to hear them.

"Plants, like algebra, have a habit of looking alike and being different, or looking different and being alike; consequently mathematics and botany confuse me."

As the title suggests, I'm looking to get Ottolenghi's book Plenty or Plenty More. I am not a vegetarian, but after perusing through a friend's copy of Plenty I loved the imaginative recipes. 

Between the two, which do you prefer? Or, if there are other options for veggie dishes, I'd love to hear them.

Since no one else is jumping in, I more enjoyed Plenty More than just plain Plenty.  I have read them both but I do not have them here to compare side by side.  Nor I have cooked from either.

Have you looked at Nigel Slater's Tender?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Just took a look at Tender; it looks good! But alas I have no access to a garden of any sorts. Maybe at another time in my life. 

Thanks for the response, I might get Plenty More then.

"Plants, like algebra, have a habit of looking alike and being different, or looking different and being alike; consequently mathematics and botany confuse me."

Just took a look at Tender; it looks good! But alas I have no access to a garden of any sorts. Maybe at another time in my life. 

Thanks for the response, I might get Plenty More then.

My only garden is an apartment balcony.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I don't have even that. Nor a windowsill; I'm in the basement apartment...

I am jumping to conclusions here so you are welcome to knock me down in midair. I am interpreting your response to mean that even without a garden Tender is worth reading.

I have never had the slightest interest in gardening. My daughter plants herbs in a couple of containers at the front of my house and I will occasionally commit herbecide when I purchase a pot of herbs to keep on my kitchen counter. But after reading both volumes of Tender (volume two is about the fruit in his garden) my mind is playing tricks on me. I see a couple of containers of radishes perhaps with some tiny lettuces and a tomato plant. I hope this insanity passes soon.

But even without a garden his descriptions of the way he uses vegetables and fruits in his kitchen is incredibly seductive.

Incidentally nobody has mentioned Vedge by Rich Landau and Kate Jacoby. Their recipe for roasted cauliflower on a bed of kimchi mayo is swoon-worthy.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 8 months later...