• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

it was recent.. let me see..  

Rice Is Twice As Nice (#118)

Creamy Clam and Scallion Risotto with Tomatoes and a Neapolitan Rice and Meat Mold are served. [26 minutes] icon_tv-g.gificon_cc-fancy.gif

Edited by BKEats (log)

Ill have to dig 118 up

season 2  :  217  she does Clam & Scallion Risotto and Pappa Al Pomodoro w Clams

looked it up :

its the same dish w the same foot-age !  must be twice as good !

i thought only the Test Kitchen stole stuff from themselves !

now Ill hunt for some clams  ........

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

BKEats I have found to my consternation that farmed cheap shrimp from Chinatown tastes better than allegedly wild-caught stuff from upscale places uptown. I go to the seafood place on Mulberry just north of Bayard, on the west side of the street.

I disagree about the flavor of those shrimp, and the farming practices are so heinous.

In any event, I like the frozen, wild Gulf or Key West shrimp they sell at Whole Foods.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

big fan of vertical chicken

my weber is almost thawed out.  about a foot and a half of snow to go !

weber + GrillGrates + 'smoke-tube' = painless verticals, w no flare up.

Im sure whole chicken on sale will match the Melt.

• Like 2

I had a craving for beer battered onion rings last night.  Twas a good thing to go along with basketball.....and a chili cheese dog.

I finally found a recipe that I like for the rings.  You soak 'em in beer and a bit of cider vinegar for a while.  Great flavor and softens them a bit so that they don't slide right out of the batter (I hate that).

photo 2.JPG

• Like 12

Soooooo  how did you do My Dinner ?

a Nice S.A. wine with that ?  two bottles you say ?

:huh:

so  what are you having ?

BTW  a billion years ago, a resident of mine was from SA.  this was the time of the embargo.

he went home and brought me back two bottles of SA Red.  A bit like Zinfandel.

they were stunning and delicious !

as he and one of his friends were my Guests at the Four Seasons ( NYC ) for Lunch

in the Pond room. no less  .... he did order a second bottle of wine ....

( no I did not pay for it :  it was an honorarium for a few lectures I gave ....  why anyone would want to listen

to me is a different story .... )

I wil say  The Swells at the 4 S  ie the staff, servers, etc treated us with with great attention, and a bit of

kindness   ie they figured out we might not get back there Any Time Soon !

when the Dessert Trolly came by, we had a large tranche of each item on it !

and yes, I did a little Rubber Necking.  not too much

and yes, an expense account goes a long way.

I still have the ash tray

some where.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Tonight we had roasted chicken wings with rosemary, beautiful rainbow chard sauteed with garlic in olive oil, and yellow corn on the cob. I'm not sure where the corn came from, but it was pretty good for out of season and hit my craving for summer just right.

The meal was garnished with some "Scarlet Pearl" grape tomatoes from Mexico with surprisingly good tomato flavor for this time of year, and HUGE (almost 3 oz. apiece and not hollow) strawberries from California that were some of the best I've ever eaten out of season. Very fragrant and sweet.

I can't wait for warmer weather, and local produce, but this was a really good meal, and it helped thaw out my soul a little after a very harsh winter, although I realize it wasn't as bad here as for our Northern east coast neighbors.

• Like 5

> ^ . . ^ <

Soooooo  how did you do My Dinner ?

a Nice S.A. wine with that ?  two bottles you say ?

( no I did not pay for it :  it was an honorarium for a few lectures I gave ....  why anyone would want to listen

to me is a different story .... )

I think they got off cheap, Rotuts!

Kim, I hope you're feeling better!  Chili looks yummy.

Jo, an omelet sounds good about right now.  Don't get stuck in the mud!

I had one of those nights last night where I didn't feel like cooking.  But, when you live in the sticks, one must either cook....or forage in the fridge for some super old leftovers.  Feeling uninspired, I remembered we had corned venison languishing deep in the meat drawer.  So, I decided on corned venison hash, eggs from down the road, brussels sprouts, a push around (that's what my husband calls bread with his meal....something he can use to "push around" his food lol) and a bit of homemade hollandaise sauce.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 8

this isn't really new, i do this type of thing all the time :  " Curry-ish " but w a slight twist that will be a keeper :

this is CkCurryIsh w some SV CkBr.  the curry this time was Maya Kaimal Vindaloo simmer sauce. I just don't simmer in these

sauces, heat them up on the stove, then add the pre-cooked main item

Mise :

Curry Mise.jpg

I used chopped spinach instead of the usual thawed peas.  I liked it.  and the new ingredient is

chopped tomatoes.  Tomatoes and Rice go very well together I think, and I frequently forget this.

esp. when chopping up Winter Greenhouse tomatoes.  I also added grated FzGinger to the rice after it finished

cooking in the cooker.  the spinach, tomatoes, ginger, a tiny bit of Penzy's curry power and some butter

go in the cooker and heat themselves up.

and the Gem of the Show  : the rice cooker

RiceCooker.jpg

its pretty old now, a National  ( ie panasonic ) 10 Cup flat bottom model.  they seem to come in 5 cup

and 10 cup.  the 10 cup allows plenty of room in the cooker for MixIns.

and the final dish :

CkCurry.jpg

didnt have any Fz Naan, but the tomatoes added a lot to this dish, and will be a regular addition

as long as I have some around.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 10

Spaghetti with tuna.  I was not sure if I would like it, but this was actually pretty good.  I used the jarred Ortiz tuna in olive oil.  I am trying to clear out the fridge before a trip to Paris next week, so I am pretty much down to pantry stuff.  

tuna linguini.jpg

• Like 7

• Wild striped bass fillets, pan-fried (simply salt & black pepper); with new-season (New York) flash-sautéed asparagus. Dressed w/ a reduction of fish stock (additionally simmered w/ parsley) made from the bones & head & etc of the bass.  Parsley florets garnish.

• Fried rice, from 2-day-old basmati rice, w/ just chopped scallions & rice bran oil; topped w/ more scallions.

DSCN4367a_800.jpg

DSCN4371a_600.jpg

ETA: The fish stock was made with the meaty fish bones, chopped-in-half head & fins & whatnot, water, Sauvignon Blanc, salt, sliced de-stringed celery, sliced carrots, half a yellow onion finely sliced, finely sliced Tokyo negi, some dried bay leaves, a small handful of black peppercorns.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 10