• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

pasta looks nice and creamy

the way i like it

what's your method ?

Easy Peasy :)

Sautee onions in some butter, add chopped garlic...cook for a bit.  Deglaze with white wine. Cook until wine is almost gone.  Add a cup or two of heavy cream.  Cook until it thickens a bit.  Add proteins if you wish.  Add 1/2 cup or so of grated parm. cheese.

• Like 1

So, this happened:

cb latkes.JPG

I had leftover corned beef. I was thinking about corned beef hash, but I was really jonesing for latkes. So I combined the two. With some homemade apple butter, these were pretty outstanding.

• Like 13

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Tonight's dinner. Was so good i felt it belonged in this thread. If not i will remove it. I am starting to love my new electric pressure cooker more then my sous vide equipment. These short ribs took an hour and the mashed potatoes took 5 minutes in the pressure cooker aswell. The sous vide still has a purpose of keeping reheating or holding food at 135F till everything else is ready.

100_6263.JPG

• Like 13

Various meals.

--------------------------------------------------------

Noodle bowl.  Fish tofu, snow pea pods, baby kai-lan, bunapi-shimeji mushrooms, sliced negi and thin egg noodles; in a spicy sesame broth (taken from a Sun Noodles Tan Tan fresh ramen pack).

DSCN4337a_800.jpg

Some of the baby kai-lan.

DSCN4342a_800.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------

Pork belly slices stir-fried w/ garlic, cincalok, rau húng quế, chopped scallions.  White rice.

DSCN4346a_800.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------

Itek Tim.  White rice.

DSCN4348a_800.jpg

DSCN4350a_800.jpg

• Like 5

Really lovely food all..  

Last night i just cooked for my wife and daughter.. i had a huge lunch and was too full by the time dinner came around..  . I had one trout in the fridge from yesterday.. i cut out the filets and made a stock with the head and bones. 

16924989042_a2f167ed75_c.jpg

cooked the fish in a butter and oil and served over quinoa..  The sauce, was fish stock, a little wine, lemon, butter and capers.  

16900364256_c34aed9a47_c.jpg

• Like 10

BKE :

Nice, very nice, small sauce pan w the lip

Im fairly sure I have the same one.

mine, of course might be a bit better.  just a bit.

:raz:

:laugh:

it does something for the Soul to cook with stuff that's beyond 'Nice'

its the Right Stuff

now of course we are all dated and Induction Rules

sigh.

http://eshop.e-dehillerin.fr/en/induction-copper-sauce-pan-16-cm-xml-243_269-1231.html

and 

http://eshop.e-dehillerin.fr/en/induction-copper-curved-saute-pan-20-cm-xml-243_269-1242.html

more sighs

BKE :

Nice, very nice, small sauce pan w the lip

Im fairly sure I have the same one.

mine, of course might be a bit better. just a bit.

:raz:

:laugh:

it does something for the Soul to cook with stuff that's beyond 'Nice'

its the Right Stuff

now of course we are all dated and Induction Rules

sigh.

http://eshop.e-dehillerin.fr/en/induction-copper-sauce-pan-16-cm-xml-243_269-1231.html

and

http://eshop.e-dehillerin.fr/en/induction-copper-curved-saute-pan-20-cm-xml-243_269-1242.html

more sighs

Is yours 18 k gold too? Edited by BKEats (log)

5% salt with a pinch white pepper. Pellicle. 4-8h Cold smoke. I used apple chips in my smoke generator here because it was the only chips I had. Usually alder wood. The apple is good though.

• Like 2

Thanks Dave. I do something similar but with a higher salt brine, closer to 10% salt with dark brn sugar. I do refresh it in water prior to storing away to form the pellicle. I also use a cold smoke generator and smoke for 2-3 hrs.

last night was a simple dinner.  Around noon, the idea of making a fried shrimp sandwich entered my mind.  We had spent some time on Tybee Island this summer and wondered to myself, why haven't we been eating more shrimp since then.   Well, the answer eventually dawned on me.  The shrimp in Georgia, the ones pulled right out of the ocean are so much better than what is available to me along my daily shopping route.  

In order to compensate, i made a shrimp oil, that I eventually turned into a mayonnaise.   Then, went on a 5 mile run to build up the appetite. 

There is my set up.  You can see the shrimp breaded in a mixture of seasoned corn meal and flour.  You can also see my homemade shrimp mayo in the little dish with the spoon sticking out of it.  

the little orange there, i used part of the rind in the oil. 

16930686782_ebd8b8b306_z.jpg

16747703030_1a83bd14ec_z.jpg

my wife's.  my camera/phone was upstairs so i asked her to take a photo or two.  arugula was tossed in lemon juice and olive oil, salt and pepper. 

16745772819_076931157c_z.jpg

miss k's

16309592554_26b35f0436_z.jpg

What i would say is, I have purchased shrimp perhaps three times in the last two months.. the first time was from my local grocery store and it was filled with that sodium phosphate shit.  if a seafood contains that, like a scallop, or pretty much anything, the entire dish is ruined.. like, throw it in the garbage.   

This time, the shrimp was free from that chemical, it was just tasteless, compared to a sweet fresh shrimp.  the shrimp oil i made, was definitely the most shrimp flavored component but, it was still apparent i was eating a bland shrimp.   

in recent years, i have been reluctant to stop my one go to place on Mott Street, Chinatown but, they have live shrimp and that is most likely my best bet.  

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 13

A couple of quick meals from this week after work.  Roast pork sandwich with cherry peppers, arugula and swiss cheese (leftover pork from Sunday)

pork sandwich.jpg

Spaghetti with roasted peppers, breadcrumbs, and egg

spaghetti with peppers.jpg

• Like 14

why certainly..I just bought the shell on shrimp, no heads, 1.5 lbs.. After shelling and cleaning, i just took the shrimp shells and put in a pan with grapeseed oil, a couple of baby carrots, half a rind of a small orange, salt, pepper, smokey paprika, a dash of sugar and salt and a little tarragon.  Let it cook together for maybe 30 minutes..   Went for a jog, came home, after it cooled, strained and used that oil in a regular mayo recipe.   

I am sure there are better versions out there, i really just used what was on hand. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 2

Roast pork sandwich with cherry peppers, arugula and swiss cheese (leftover pork from Sunday)

The world needs more roast pork sandwiches.  :wub:  Thanks for posting the picture.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Marinated sliced chuck eye beef stir-fried w/ garlic & baby kai-lan.  White rice.

The beef slices were marinated w/ Shaohsing wine, double-fermented soy sauce, vegetable oil, ground white pepper, chopped garlic, corn starch.  Tossed in a very hot pan w/ peanut oil then reserved; the baby kai-lan went into the pan w/ more oil plus more chopped garlic, stir-fried, then the reserved beef went back in; seasoning adjusted.

DSCN4359-55_C_800.jpg

DSCN4362a_800.jpg

• Like 10

Cont'd with our recent Halibut purchase

Bacino's Halibut Cioppino

IMG_7916.JPG

I used the term lightly  (  Cuz i like it )  :rolleyes:

Made with spot prawn head stock/ roasted tomato stew (  last year's inventory )/ Halibut seared in Tomato Evoo with garlic/ and the basic Miropoix

• Like 12

Its good to have Morels

BKEats I have found to my consternation that farmed cheap shrimp from Chinatown tastes better than allegedly wild-caught stuff from upscale places uptown. I go to the seafood place on Mulberry just north of Bayard, on the west side of the street.

liamsaunt great food photos. You have got it down.

Patrickamory, someone just told me that they have really nice Georgia Shrimp at Chelsea Market.  I will have to check your spot out.. I drive through Chinatown everyday.. The live ones they have at my place in C-Town are nice and sweet, just small.   Depending on my route and traffic and actually time of year because i don't use the sidewalk vendors in the summer, i go to several spots..   The shrimp I bought the other night were bought in Elizabeth NJ.  

Last night, I made a clam and scallion risotto.  I had watched Lidia Bastianich make it the other day.. One of the few cooking shows I still watch is Lidia's.  I think she is a great cook and I love her mother.  So she made this clam and scallion risotto.. I recreated it with a few additions of my own.,  

I didn't have any other bottle of wine opened besides, Shaoxing Cooking Wine so, I went with that.  Used red onion instead of shallot, I used a fish stock I had in the fridge mixed with water. 5 minutes after the first ladle of hot stock was added, i threw in .17 gross of clams. I used about 2 cups of risotto.   With about 12 minutes left to go, I added a half a strip of bacon that was finely diced and also a pinch of saffron.  At the end, 2 tablespoons of butter and a small handful of parm.   

It was so freaking good, the recipe surprised me at how good it was.  My wife said, if this was a restaurant, we would come back to this restaurant for this specific dish.  

Sorry, this is the only photo I have.  It's funny as we were saving a bowl for my daughter's art tutor, as I usually make her dinner on nights she comes over.  Some how it got lost along the way. 

16737760307_98c83593f2_c.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 11