• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

with Tots !  Tots make everything better

where's the Mayo ?   I dip in mayo, usually plain, some times doctored.

try 1/3 ketchup, 1/3 chili sauce and 1/3 a balsamic or sherry vinegar

or Russian dressing made with Cain's mayo

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Dinner was grilled sachicha. My Syrian Jewish Grandmother use to make this.

A throw back to the Spanish influence on the Jews who fled Spain in 1492

One of my cousins took her recipe and the kosher meat to a butcher and had him make like 30#. I've made it but it's been a long time

045e3c57d0bdbf2170d2660dcd307613.jpg

4b661774e8ba43bc0eb3525938b650f4.jpg

Was tasty and brought back memories of her

• Like 16

Dinner was grilled sachicha. My Syrian Jewish Grandmother use to make this.

A throw back to the Spanish influence on the Jews who fled Spain in 1492

One of my cousins took her recipe and the kosher meat to a butcher and had him make like 30#. I've made it but it's been a long time

045e3c57d0bdbf2170d2660dcd307613.jpg

4b661774e8ba43bc0eb3525938b650f4.jpg

Was tasty and brought back memories of her

Looks tasty, scoob.

I  googled sachicha and got nothing relevant. How's it different?

• Like 3

Large mustard greens (kai choy, 芥菜) stir-fried w/ garlic & peanut oil.

DSCN4095a_800.jpg

Beef short ribs stewed w/ fresh "far koo" type Chinese mushrooms, jicama (sar kot/got), garlic (lots); seasoning included salt, some Maggi sauce, ryori-shu & etc.  Eaten w/ mei fun (thin rice noodles).

DSCN4100a_800.jpg

• Like 4

Looks tasty, scoob.

It is spelled "saLchicha", but it just means "sausage" in Spanish, usually fresh but could also refer to cured sausage. There are hundreds of variations, so searching for "salchicha" is too generic.

Looks tasty, scoob.

I googled sachicha and got nothing relevant. How's it different?

Sorry, It's beef, it has baharat spices used in Syria , it's kosher and it's spelled wrong[emoji4]. This is the way it was pronounced by the Syrian Jews around me and Enrique is correct the Spanish is Salchicha which I should have added in my post. And as you can see the casing is small and is lamb. Salchicha is typically a type of fresh sausage.

Sunday Gravy Shot!!

Sausage and Meatballs

IMG_7870.JPG

Kids aren't a fan of onion bits..So  I usually float an Onion Bobber in my sauce.  then peel the petals off.  Stewed onion is killer

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 10

Its good to have Morels

Looks tasty, scoob.

Looking in "Aromas of Aleppo:  The Legendary Cuisine of Syrian Jews", their recipe for Salchicha is ground beef, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper and salt.  For two pounds of beef there is a lot of these spices.

• Like 1

Looking in "Aromas of Aleppo:  The Legendary Cuisine of Syrian Jews", their recipe for Salchicha is ground beef, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper and salt.  For two pounds of beef there is a lot of these spices.

Yes it uses a lot of dried spices.  Every cooks baharat spice mix is their secret weapon.  What makes thieir food better and different than their neighbors. 

My Grandmother's has a lot more ingredients than that but I can't recall at the moment what they are.  Can post the recipe when I get home and look in her cook book.

That would be lovely, thank you scubadoo97.  The Aromas of Aleppo is a beautiful cookbook and reading the history is now really very sad.  The recipes look fantastic and I will be trying a few of them in the coming months.

Scored this Thai style sticky rice cooker and made a roast game hen and papaya salad from Pok Pok.  The grilled eggplants are from Global Grill which by the way is a fantastic little BBQ book with all kinds of ethnic recipes.

DSC00752.JPGDSC00753.JPG

From David Thompson a chicken and mushroom steamed soup.

DSC00756.JPG

DSC00755.JPG

• Like 9

I just got home from working on the rental house and I'm starving.  Ann and Okanagancook I'm DROOLING!

Last night we had venison meatloaf that I stuffed with sharp cheddar.   And, beans and mac and cheese.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 13

That would be lovely, thank you scubadoo97. The Aromas of Aleppo is a beautiful cookbook and reading the history is now really very sad. The recipes look fantastic and I will be trying a few of them in the coming months.

This is her spice mix for 15 lbs of salchicha

2.5 oz pickling spice. Finely ground

2.5 oz salt

*1/3 cup or 5 oz "mama spice"

1/3 or 5 oz cup nutmeg

I have an uncle that uses 5 oz of black pepper and 5 oz of Accent in his spice mix

* "Mama's" ultra secret spice mix as written in her cook book

5df52c3dd4cb1021df7589ef464889b8.jpg

Sorry Mama[emoji56] but as you know food is meant to be shared.

2 cans allspice

1 can black pepper

1 can clove

1 can nutmeg

1 can paprika

1 can ginger

1 can accent

1 can cinnamon

The cans refer to the McCormick spices in a can

There is a note that says equal parts of all spices [emoji6]

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 8

Linguine alle vongole.

EV olive oil, chopped smashed garlic, hot red chili flakes, ground black pepper, soaked/cleaned littleneck clams, clam juice [bumble Bee], Sauvignon Blanc, a bit of salt, al dente linguine [Rustichella d'Abruzzo], generous chopped Italian parsley.

DSCN4106b_800.jpg

• Like 7

Paul, tell me more about that gravy please.

Shelby I can tell that I would have an incredibly fun time eating at your house. Meatloaf stuffed with sharp cheddar, AND mac 'n' cheese?!?! YUM!

hurray beautiful linguini alle vongole. The clam juice is an absolute sine qua non in this dish...

• Like 1

Anna – your bits and bobs dinner looked perfect to me.  My favorite meal out is 2 or 3 different ‘small bites’, so your meal would have suited me.

dcarch – everything looks gorgeous, as always, but that shrimp on dirty rice was whispering to me.  I’ve got a new recipe for BBQ shrimp that I want to try and I think that dirty rice is just the perfect side dish!

Paul – my mother used to do onion bobbers, too, since I didn’t like biting into them.  Then she’d pull it apart and drape it over some garlic bread and eat it rolling her eyes and moaning.  Too much for me – I finally tried it and it became a favorite treat!  Thanks for bringing back that memory!

This supposed-to-be-a-snack turned into dinner the other night:

med_gallery_3331_114_171910.jpg

We ate so much, we just never got hungry again!

I went a little trashy tonight.  We’ve been craving something that I used to make all the time when we were young and broke – Tamale Casserole:  canned tamales, canned chili and shredded cheese.  I hardly make it anymore, but when I do we devour it:

med_gallery_3331_114_15057.jpg

The side dish was something called Corn Puppy Casserole:

med_gallery_3331_114_40786.jpg

This recipe was from a book called The Black Family Reunion Cookbook.  It was published in 1991 by the National Council of Negro Women and has an introduction by Dorothy I. Height.  I’ve had it on my wishlist forever and Mr. Kim gave it to me for Christmas this year.  It’s a wonderful read.  I didn’t actually find many recipes that I wanted to make, but the stories and history make it special.  I think that this recipe is the ancestor of that ubiquitous pot luck dish with canned corn, canned creamed corn, Jiffy corn muffin mix, sour cream and butter.  And to be perfectly honest, I think that the descendant beats the oldster.  This was stodgy and bland and not at all ‘corny’ enough.  There is an odd thing about the cookbook.  It doesn’t specify brands except for one – Crisco.  Every single time that oil or shortening is called for they specify Crisco.  There is no mention of it, but I can’t help but believe that Crisco sponsored the book in some way.  Plated:

med_gallery_3331_114_47485.jpg

I also served another one of those slaw/salad kits:

med_gallery_3331_114_143131.jpg

This was the first one we didn’t care for.  It was supposed to be bleu cheese and bacon, but the bleu cheese could have been ranch for all the flavor it had and the bacon was nothing but smoke.  

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 8