• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

Coussinet of potato, smoked salmon and imperial ossetra caviar

TKj0v3ul.png

X3HbC49l.png

A beautiful dish but a pretty costly one too, it seems to me. :-)  The Imperial Osetra, plus (I presume top-notch) smoked salmon alone probably (at usual retail prices) would be running around $150+ for the amounts shown in the pic for the one plate? Then if one factors in the labor costs (the potatoes and other stuff is relatively cheap by comparison) this one plate might be around $200+ in a restaurant sense...

Your circumstances clearly are very privileged, considering also the other amazing dishes you show with all sorts of exclusive ingredients.  Good for you, certainly.  I for one can't match the bounty of your available ingredients but shall savor looking at (and imagining eating) the dishes you create.

Yesterday - more of the congee made here; reheated w/ more water added; then served w/ thinly-sliced negi (white part), chopped scallions, deep-fried shallots, ground white pepper, a raw egg.

DSCN4018b_800.jpg

Mixing everything together (hot/warm congee) also cooks the egg partially but the "velvety nature" of the raw/partially cooked egg (Cantonese "wat") is present and is the desired effect and texture.

• Like 5

image.jpg

Leftover pork chop, duck fat roasted carrots, pickled cabbage and sweet soy and butter glazed potatoes.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A beautiful dish but a pretty costly one too, it seems to me. :-)  The Imperial Osetra, plus (I presume top-notch) smoked salmon alone probably (at usual retail prices) would be running around $150+ for the amounts shown in the pic for the one plate? Then if one factors in the labor costs (the potatoes and other stuff is relatively cheap by comparison) this one plate might be around $200+ in a restaurant sense...

Your circumstances clearly are very privileged, considering also the other amazing dishes you show with all sorts of exclusive ingredients.  Good for you, certainly.  I for one can't match the bounty of your available ingredients but shall savor looking at (and imagining eating) the dishes you create.

Just finished a dinner party..leftover caviar and truffles...a perk of cooking for a billionaire...

51QN3DGl.jpg

• Like 8

Hey BKEats,

Great looking chix sandwiches!

I admire your extraordinarily generous spirit.

It's obvious that you enjoy cooking and making your friends feel comfortable. Where I come from it's customary to bring prepared food to the homes of folks who have just been blessed with a new child to help take some of the load off them. No one I know would dream of expecting new parents to cook for them.

Childbirth is a joyous event, but also very stressful and tiring. Can you say "sleep deprivation"?

I'm glad you can draw the line and go on "lockdown". I know you need the rest.  :smile:

ETA:

Is it safe from danger of explosion (and under what conditions) to cook foods in an unopened can? I've not tried it, but have seen them blow up on neighboring campsites when they were placed in campfires. This would be handy in a hurricane power outage if it can be done with no risk.

Edited by Thanks for the Crepes (log)
  • Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

Leftover sous vide pork chops.  Essentially just the rib bones, but with some tasty bits attached.  Reheated by sautéing in butter.  Unsalted butter if anyone is watching.

Mashed potato -- and after forty five years of failed experiments I can finally reproducibly prepare a perfect mashed potato, to my taste anyhow.

Thirty second haricots verts.  The apotheosis of green beans.  So sweet, so crisp, yet tender and bright green.

A full liter of M.R.  Much of it on the tablecloth.  Always a festive touch.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Hey BKEats,

Great looking chix sandwiches!

I admire your extraordinarily generous spirit.

It's obvious that you enjoy cooking and making your friends feel comfortable. Where I come from it's customary to bring prepared food to the homes of folks who have just been blessed with a new child to help take some of the load off them. No one I know would dream of expecting new parents to cook for them.

Childbirth is a joyous event, but also very stressful and tiring. Can you say "sleep deprivation"?

I'm glad you can draw the line and go on "lockdown". I know you need the rest.  :smile:

ETA:

Is it safe from danger of explosion (and under what conditions) to cook foods in an unopened can? I've not tried it, but have seen them blow up on neighboring campsites when they were placed in campfires. This would be handy in a hurricane power outage if it can be done with no risk.

Thank you. I believe it's my job as my wife's caretaker to feed her and my other child while my wife is nursing. Sort of, she feeds the baby and I feed her. I have prepared all of her meals since the baby was born 45 days ago. But, in terms of friends, they know I am a lunatic. We are opening a restaurant in the next few months and have had a catering company for the last 10 years so, I feel people are either intimidated or just assume we are covered. Which both is true. I grew up with the same ideals as you. Whenever a friend of mine has a baby we arrive with trays of food. Lasagna portioned out and a tray of chickn cutlets is the minimum.

In terms of canned food and cooking in the can, I can only speak for dulce de leche. As long as the can is completely submerged, you are safe from explosions. I used my huge stock pot so I didn't have to add water.

• Like 1

In terms of canned food and cooking in the can, I can only speak for dulce de leche. As long as the can is completely submerged, you are safe from explosions. I used my huge stock pot so I didn't have to add water.

I don't understand the physics of this.

BKE, you are a better human than I....I'd have put the house on lockdown weeks ago  :laugh: .  Your chicken sandwiches are something that I would love to have in front of me right now!

Paul--I love veggie lasagna.  Yours looks wonderful and so cheesy.

Anna--I must try to make potatoes like those.  

I have some pork tasso that I've been trying to use up.  So, I made a split pea soup with some andouille and I added tasso towards the end.  I can't make split pea soup look pretty  :unsure:

photo 4.JPG

To go with, turkey sandwiches on homemade buns.  Excuse the ugly cord in the background.  And the scrap bowl.

photo 3.JPG

• Like 9

We left all of our Pot Roast leftovers with our friends last week so we decided to have it again Friday night – on noodles:

med_gallery_3331_114_55020.jpg

With rolls and green beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_89081.jpg

Bite:

med_gallery_3331_114_17453.jpg

Sometimes I think that this is why I make Pot Roast – tonight’s dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_107198.jpg

Pot Roast soup – made with all the leftovers and added peas.  Served with a packaged salad/slaw mix – kale and cabbage with a creamy onion/citrus dressing and bacon and sunflower seeds:

med_gallery_3331_114_24212.jpg

We are really liking these things.  They taste good and last for a couple of days when dressed.  

• Like 13

Kim--I don't find myself craving pot roast too often, but I would if I looked at that picture all the time!  Looks delicious!

Norm--Great looking Korean food!

Blah dinner last night.

Roasted chicken, brussels sprouts and stuffing.

photo.JPG

• Like 5

Oh my, I would choose that as my last meal before being hung or put before the firing squad.  I have yet to make a decent chilie relleno after years of trying.  Do you drop some batter in the skillet, and set chilie on top and then add more batter to cover?  So far that has worked the best for me.  That is a beautiful meal!