• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

image.jpg

Harumi Kurihara’s Pari Pari-style chicken and steamed Shanghai bok choy.

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Made some patak "paneer" (spinach and kale with spiced fried tofu instead of cheese) last night and had enough for leftovers which lit my fire for Indian tonight

Arvi Bhaji (Jerusalem Artichoke Curry)

Chana masala with sweet potatoes

Patak tofu

Naan

Vindaloo spices grilled yogurt chicken

UsU9MOA.png

The sunchokes are head and shoulders above any Indian dish I've made before. This recipe is a keeper

http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/mobile.php?rid=misc-arvi-bhaji

Your plate

hQBOWKs.png

• Like 1

Large head-on (lots of orange hepatopancreas) shell-on shrimp deveined and marinated w/ Shaohsing wine, salt, oil, scallions, ginger; then drained & stir-fried w/ garlic, ginger, shallots, hot long green chillies, lots of ground white pepper, scallions, salt.

Kai-lan stir-fried w/ garlic, oil, oyster sauce.

White rice.

DSCN3997a_800.jpg

DSCN3990b_800.jpg

• Like 7

to start we had calamari..  the mix was one part AP Flour one part Cornmeal.

16599167091_2f5b9b0ed0_z.jpg

Served with a spicy tomato sauce.  Just the doctored jar sauce from the other night.. added a couple of dashes of the ghost pepper hot sauce i made. 

bacon wrapped trout.  deboned and stuffed with basil

16414506889_a637dcf191_z.jpg

Served with a basil mayo.. on friday's, I like using the mortar.  get all that weekday energy out. 

15978181774_1e0217501d_z.jpg<a hr

16600347075_a8e9e46637_z.jpg

16413324480_c99ae15a83_z.jpg<

i forgot, chocolate lava cake for dessert. 

16414002510_788a3fe167_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 6

Pizza with roasted cherry tomatoes, bacon, caramelized onion and garlic, parmigiano and mozzarella. I don't like my pizza crust very dark; just barely done.

pizza.JPG

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Easy dumplings. I made 3 different sorts with lamb, half fat pork and half fat pork with whole prawns. I also used preserved vegs in the mince. First dozen was steamed but the rest was cooked on the table hot pot style.

iRrAUGvFIX2JF.JPG

ibbaZvoda56Kn2.JPG

Half of the batch

iMPWQIBidaHHK.JPG

Steamed

iq991fvi8RgKU.JPG

I used these in the mince (minus the Sichuan chili mix)

iGnMlxOHrvr3K.JPG

• Like 13

image.jpg

Token dish for Chinese New Year. Ants climbing a tree from Land of Plenty.

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

BonVivant, that looks excellent and you must be incredibly busy cooking today because I noticed your post on CH around the same time as this one on EG showing photos of a completely different but equally impressive looking dinner that you made today. Well done and I love your photography.

Another pot of rice congee, for a cold day.

Peanut oil, ginger, garlic, shallots (not usually added at this point), "five flower meat" :-), ja choy (a kind of preserved mustard stem), splash of fish sauce, water, salt, simmer, uncooked jasmine rice, simmer, tau pok, simmer.  Eaten w/ scallions & deep-fried shallots.

DSCN4007a_800.jpg

A braise (stove top) of winter bamboo shoots, oil, garlic, snow fungus (rehydrated), fu chuk (beancurd skin), aka miso, water.  I think I'm forgetting something...

DSCN4010a_600.jpg

• Like 6

We had lots of people stop by  yesterday.. i made at least 24 chicken sandwiches.. brined, butter milked and then floured and fried.  Served with a basil mayo, onion, hot sauce, arugula and tomato for the most part.  When the basil oil ran out, i made cilantro mayo. some had a horseradish cheddar..  

this particular one was cilantro mayo and then the last of the salsa fresco with avocado.  trying to move inventory.. my friends an architect so, i was trying to make some type of structure..  

16403716787_b1fd1fbd21_z.jpg

this is a double:

16423997610_845c77a50b_z.jpg

i made a classic version of rice pudding.. cooked rice stirred with milk and sugar and thickened.. then i added some more milk and a few eggs, butter and vanilla.    i made dulce de leche by boiling condensed milk in the can.  

15988840904_785c216443_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 11

Sat Night Meal:  Onions

Tomato/Onion Salad

Heirloom Tomatoes/ red onion/ red wine vinegar/lemon juice/salt /sugar/garlic powder--yes Jalapeno

IMG_7854.JPG

Onion Soup

Caramelized onions in a drk chkn stock/ beef base/ sherry/ thyme /Rosamary/ crouton/Emmentaller cheese

IMG_7857.JPG

• Like 7

Its good to have Morels

How much food do you keep in the house,BKE?

I keep a lot of food in the house.. Since having the baby, we just have people show up at our house..  It's been happening like this since the baby came.. so, i like to have food if people showed up.. I had a 3 pound pork roast brining as well, that didn't get eaten.. I am going to stuff that and roast it tonight.     Today, we are not seeing anyone. we turned off the phones and told everybody that was over yesterday that we are on locked down.  As, i am leaving on a business trip soon 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 3

"" Dicksons Farmstead Meat- beef and bacon ""

I don't even know what that is  ....

I do know that Id love Right Now

and all the rest too;.

rotuts

this is what they looked like before cooking. this butcher is in Chelsea Market in NY and has very interesting cuts of meat in addition to the premade burgers.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

• Like 3

mm84321, that is even more striking than your usual beautiful platings. I especially like the border.

1. Is that dill?

2. Did you use tweezers to accomplish that precision?

Smoked salmon. Caviar. :wub:

Would you adopt me?

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

mm84321, that is even more striking than your usual beautiful platings. I especially like the border.

1. Is that dill?

2. Did you use tweezers to accomplish that precision?

Smoked salmon. Caviar. :wub:

Would you adopt me?

Thank you kindly. Yes, that is dill, placed there by my fingers, so no tweezers. I would consider adoption under a series of very particular circumstances. :)

• Like 2