• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

Shelby – that cracklin’ cornbread had my jaw hitting the keyboard :wub: .  I haven’t seen cracklins since pork became “the other white meat”!

CP – Don’t worry about coming up to standards.  I used to worry about that myself, but others here assured me that the kinds of foods that I cooked were welcome and interesting and ‘worthy’.  I have wondered whether I shouldn’t start a “Boring food that I make all the time” thread!  :laugh:  I really like seeing both types of cooking.  The regular, everyday is interesting to me because WHAT PEOPLE EAT ON A REGULAR BASIS is fascinating, I think.  We have such a diverse group here that it makes for really interesting viewing.  And the out of this world dishes and techniques that I will probably never attempt are interesting on a different level.  I'm impressed with the skill involved and thrilled that folks will make a home meal that surpasses many restaurant meals I've had.

Last night was doctored up canned Brunswick stew and tunafish sandwiches:

med_gallery_3331_114_146445.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_110282.jpg

• Like 12

20150219_160152_zps1950a1df.jpg

I bought   4 ham roast  on offer and they now live in my freezer.  One was  turned into  pulled pork tonight, baked in the oven and with a German smoky beer as company.  It turned out lovely and had a nice crust. 

20150219_162418_zps53274434.jpg

We had in tortilla since it is the easiest way to get  my kid to eat anything at the moment. She is still not well from the cold that hit the whole family.

Thank you all for the kind words,  it just that I cant afford being all posh and  have the latest gadgets,  I  live on a very fixed income,  slightly above minimum standard in Sweden, I do my best with what I got.

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 12

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

• Teochew-style steamed Silver Pomfret. Partially steamed w/ scallions, Shaohsing wine, salt, ginger, scallions; fish retrieved, liquids & stuff discarded, all other stuff (tomatoes, salted plums, fresh ginger & scallions, chopped/sliced pickled mustard greens (harm choy), sliced heong koo, etc etc)  added and steaming finished off.

• Braised (stove-top) winter-type bamboo shoots w/ shiitake mushrooms (dried "heong koo", reconstituted), smashed garlic, wong nga pak (Napa cabbage) hearts, chicken stock, peanut oil.

• White rice.

DSCN3980a_800.jpg

DSCN3973a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 7

Shelby,please tell where you obtained that soup bowl. I love it!

Thank you so much!  I love them, too.  They are from a place called Clay Coyote.  I've bought pottery from them for years.  They used to make the most wonderful wine goblets.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/claycoyote?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav

Also if you google them they have a website.

• Like 1

Thank you so much!  I love them, too.  They are from a place called Clay Coyote.  I've bought pottery from them for years.  They used to make the most wonderful wine goblets.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/claycoyote?ref=shopsection_shophome_leftnav

Also if you google them they have a website.

You have such great taste, Shelby. I checked the link and could not see your bowls but there are plenty of other special ones. Thanks again!

You have such great taste, Shelby. I checked the link and could not see your bowls but there are plenty of other special ones. Thanks again!

If you email them (email is on their website) or message them through Etsy and show them that picture, I'm almost positive they would make a set for you.  I ordered a second set a while back and it wasn't shown on their sites.  They are really nice people.  AND those bowls are the perfect size for soup.  Not too big and not too small.

• Like 1

image.jpg

Sous Vide pork chop with spinach that was seasoned with salt pepper and a dusting of nutmeg.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Argh mm three of my absolute favorite ingredients in one dish!

Cat Poet your posts are always interesting and I think Kim hit the nail on the head when she said that everyday cooking is as interesting as experimental or high-end cuisine. (That said I don't find your cooking to be particularly everyday, at least where I come from.)

So many delicious meals posted recently...

• Like 5

Last night, homemade sopes with chicken, queso oaxaca and beans. here the fried masa boats are being reheated  

16579844905_6701d4da75_z.jpg

accompanying the sopes, were a spicy salsa and a salsa fresca with avocado.  

16392793400_224415a27d_z.jpg

they were really good.  the salsa fresca was so bright for the dead of winter.  

15960056043_9a0a62f689_z.jpg

• Like 9

This was from the other night.. We were cooking from the freezer.. the last of the lamb we purchased.. it is well over a year and the meat is still really delicious.  

We made the last pack of shoulder chops.. salt, pepper and lemon, pan fried in butter. 

Served with kale cooked with garlic and a little cream. with roasted sunchokes. 

16579717342_c66b5abe00_z.jpg

16393383020_4f85f057c7_z.jpg

lamb ribs,  cooked at a 300 hundred in the oven, then kicked up to like 400.. cumin, lemon,salt and a little butter.. served with cooked arugula. 

We need a couple more lamb.  Got to find a farm. 

15958274044_fc111e1751_z.jpg

• Like 8

Here is another dish I made with sunchokes.  I have been buying those plastic square boxes of kale and arugula at the store.. by me, it's 2 for 5 bucks..  it's a wonderful deal.  I use the arugula in sandwiches, salads, pasta and cook it straight.   Miss A was looking for a large salad for dinner.  

I roasted the sunchokes, tossed them while hot in a little truffle oil.  Then I tossed them hot in arugula, with lemon and olive oil, shaved some parm on top.  

Now the mot important thing is chopsticks.. I have long said, arugula and frisee can not be eaten with a fork.. you can stab a leaf of arugula.  you have to shovel it, balance it on your fork.. it's ridiculous.  chopsticks are the only way, not to mention, who wants to suck on metal.  

Really lovely salad.  it's a shame, it's so hard for me to acquire sunchokes.   I would want to add a Saba next time.  

16579979792_846c5a5e42_z.jpg

• Like 5

Harm Choy Tong with bánh phở tươi§

DSCN3989a_800.jpg

Special edition of this soup. :-)  Water, chicken legs, short-cut pork spare ribs, oil, sliced galangal, sliced ginger, smashed garlic, trimmed pickled mustard greens (pre-soaked), sliced tomatoes, salted plums, "aged gourmet" rice vinegar, salt, rock sugar.  Simmer till done.

§ Fresh Vietnamese-type rice noodles.

• Like 6

This jarred sauce was given to my wife as a sample.. I opened the jar and stuck my finger in.. I figured at best, i would throw it in a soup or braise that called for tomatoes.  but, it was really delicious. tasted like someone's good homemade sauce. 

Dinner tonight for me was leftover sopes.. my daughter had a couple of sopes after school as a snack and wanted something else for dinner.  Cooking from the pantry.

16585960825_03cb8dd18c_z.jpg

i have very limited jarred tomato sauce experience. but this was surprisingly good. 

16585272982_56fa98b46a_z.jpg

just pasta, sauce and cheese.  a few turns of the pepper mill and dinner is ready quickly

16400092029_b113e21bfb_z.jpg

And enough cheese for a healthy young lady. She is a tough judge my 14 year old.. her remarks are subtle but, cut to the core.  She made a point to say she liked the sauce.  and she only left three noodles on her plate. But, to be able to make dinner with my newborn on the island, strapped into a changing pad in the matter of 12 minutes, i'd say it was a pretty good dinner.  didn't have to spend 20 or 30 dollars on getting food delivered, or take a long time defrosting and cooking any meat.   it was a life saver. 

16398935650_492abc9fe1_z.jpg

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 8

Had a vac. packed bag of ribs that were smoked a few months ago become un-vacuumed so it was rib night :)

To go with was baked beans and roasted brussels sprouts.  With garlic and cracklins.  I seem to be obsessed with cracklins  :blink:

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 15

20150220_165826_zps184d6b47.jpg

My daughters and my dinner was    Lebanese kebab  with salad, feta, peppers, tomato and herb and yoghurt sauce  in a tortilla.  We had planned to get up to the Arabic bakery and get this amazing  pita bread  but due to delays  from both train and bus and the weather getting worse  we just got tortilla again.   I found a new  brand of feta cheese that is better then the expensive brand.

• Like 5

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

(snip)

Now the mot important thing is chopsticks.. I have long said, arugula and frisee can not be eaten with a fork.. you can stab a leaf of arugula.  you have to shovel it, balance it on your fork.. it's ridiculous.  chopsticks are the only way, not to mention, who wants to suck on metal.  

(snip)

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8605/16579979792_846c5a5e42_z.jpg

Or fork and spoon.  :-)

• Like 1