• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

Thanks, Okanagancook, for that post. (What you consider a crappy photo is something I'd be proud to manage. :-D) I love chermoula, and with lamb loin that sounds like a great combination. I'm behind on my magazines, but I'll be sure to look into this issue.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

scamhi,

I have rarely seen such a relatively simple meal that looked quite so appetizing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks, Okanagancook, for that post. (What you consider a crappy photo is something I'd be proud to manage. :-D) I love chermoula, and with lamb loin that sounds like a great combination. I'm behind on my magazines, but I'll be sure to look into this issue.

The recipe is on page 49 and it is from their "The Best of Fine Cooking:  Cookfresh" series, Winter 2015.  I used a mortar and pestle to make the charmoula rather than the blender with water added as directed in the recipe.  It also makes a ton so I cut back on the quantities and I still had some leftover to put in the freezer for next time.

Here's a roasted beet salad that I threw together with some random leftovers:

Roast beets, beet puree (roast beets, lemon juice, salt, and butter), rye crumble, cherry tomatoes, micro beet greens. The beets were tossed in pumpkin seed oil and balsamic, while the tomatoes were tossed in white balsamic and olive oil.

tumblr_nj68j8YkgD1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

And a dessert made from the Uchi Cookbook: Lemon gelato with pistachio crumble, beet puree, cured lemon zest, white balsamic reduction, and beet glass.

tumblr_nj68gqpMMm1rvhqcjo1_1280.jpg

• Like 10

For dinner last night, I grilled about a pound of fresh asparagus tossed with olive oil, crushed garlic and salt and pepper.  While they were grilling, I fired up the grill's side burner and lightly fried two eggs in duck fat....sunny side up, basted with the duck fat, no browning.  I threw in some diced prosciutto at the very end.  Placed the runny eggs and prosciutto over the grilled asparagus and served to an appreciative husband who poured us a very nice pinot grigio.  Some fresh sourdough bread from the Farmer's Market to sop up the plate.

I like payoffs like this....a 5 minute effort with a very tasty result and very little clean-up. 

• Like 3

Baselerd – that is a pretty roasted beet salad.

Ann_t – decadent dessert for dinner. So what did you have for dessert afterwards.  :-)

Paul Bacino – That Wild Alaskan Salmon is better than any I have seen in classy restaurants.

Anna N – your meals always make me think of Pippin’s “Fast Food My Way”.

Ninagluck - celeriac salad with walnuts and pomegranates, very tasty indeed!

Gfweb – great idea, Pork filled with spinach and prosciutto.

Prawncracker – wow! What a dinner! Especially the razor clams.

Cyalexa – you proofed that nice pork shoulder requires no sous vide.

Shelby – You have too many quails. Give me some! Please?

Xilimmns – Perfect risotto.

Kim – you are the winner of Superbowl food. Okanagancook – This is a cooking forum, not photo forum. I bet J. Child is a lousy photographer.

----------------------------------

A few recent ones:

dcarch

Super bowl wings with crispy chicken skin.

superbowlwings2.jpg

superbowlwings.jpg

Sous vide roasted pork belly with crispy pork skin

roastedSVporkbelly3.jpg

roastedSVporkbelly2.jpg

Smoked turkey

turkeythighfreeranged2.jpg

turkeythighfreeranged.jpg

• Like 11

Green pozole with chicken, adapetd from a recipe published in Gourmet. I really enjoy the flavor of this dish but both times I have made it the texture of the liquid was a little grainy from the ground pepitas. I may try to tighten it with a little masa next time.

pozole.jpg

• Like 3

I baked another loaf of ciabatta, which I had with fruit and cheeses, washed down with a sufficient volume of MR.  I confess I consumed the whole loaf in one sitting.  I was tempted to carbonate a second batch of MR but I feared it would not be healthful...not after that zombie with the peanuts course.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.jpg

Roasted vegetables topped with mozzarella cheese.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I baked another loaf of ciabatta, which I had with fruit and cheeses, washed down with a sufficient volume of MR.  I confess I consumed the whole loaf in one sitting.  I was tempted to carbonate a second batch of MR but I feared it would not be healthful...not after that zombie with the peanuts course.

You know how to live, Jo. 

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Various recents meals.

Skyline Chili, 5-way.

DSCN3793a_800.jpg

Glutinous rice w/ pork & shiitake mushrooms & stuff [commercial].  Pork, shrimp, pea shoots dumplings [Wei Chuan] w/ shrimp noodles, fresh Chinese mushrooms, gai-lan, chopped scallions, in chicken stock simmered w/ smashed garlic.

DSCN3795a_600.jpg

DSCN3798a_600.jpg

Spaghetti [Garofalo] w/ tomato sauce & sautéed Brussels sprouts.

DSCN3801b_800.jpg

Collard greens w/ garlic & chicken fat in chicken stock soup.  Pan-fried sliced King Oyster & bunapi-shimeji mushrooms sautéed w/ scallions & coriander leaves.  Fedelini [De Cecco] w/ more of that tomato sauce.

DSCN3808a_600.jpg

DSCN3811a_800.jpg

DSCN3818a_800.jpg

Short-cut pork spare ribs sautéed w/ then simmered w/ garlic/oil, various sauces (including "Drunken Chicken Marinade" [LKK]) & sliced fried tofu puffs.  Served w/ and over (sauce drizzled over) bánh phở tươi (fresh Vietnamese-type rice noodles) and barely-blanched Chinese-type spinach.

DSCN3846a_800.jpg

• Like 10

dcarch: Great to see you back posting on this thread.

Anna N - That duck breast is amazing!

Everyone's posts are salivating worthy!

Had my great nephew out from Edmonton playing volleyball against our university. He brought 2 buddies (both 6'6" tall) along for after-game supper. Knowing they'd be super hungry and big eaters, I cooked a whole 7-rib prime roast  plus 2 dozen Yorkies, and Saskatoon pie. Forgot to take pictures after I completed the Yorkies and pie...

YorkiesCloseup2303.jpg

BrendanSaskiePie2301.jpg

Didn't have anything left of the roast other than the rib bones. Gnawed on several then used the last 3 to make beef, barley, and vegetable soup in the slow cooker.

Beef & Barley Soup2310.jpg

Tonight, we had steamed pickerel Chinese style - loads of ginger, green onion, red bell pepper, lots of freshly ground white pepper (from Malaysia), a dash of soy sauce and veg oil. Sides were pan-fried tofu with oyster sauce and chili oil for dipping, and some baby bok choy. 

SteamedPickerel2313.jpg

BokChoy&Tofu2312.jpg

• Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Parbaked some meatballs then finished poaching them in some tomato sauce.  Served over buccatini with a chopped salad.

Just finished flurrying here.  Catching up on the computer then I have some chicken/turkey broth to turn into soup for the coming freeze, some bread dough rising and then out to feed the birds!

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

attachicon.gifIMG_7034.JPG

pan seared pork chop with garlic, parsley and hot cherry peppers. chicken stock, white wine and a little red wine vinegar for the sauce

I made these really pretty porkchops last night. Lots of salt, served medium rare with a side of spinach cooked in garlic. I squirted a

Little lemon over it and though it was unimproveable. It appears I was wrong

• Like 1

This is just insane

We had dessert for dinner last night.

Churro%20Waffles%20February%202nd%2C%202

Churro Waffles with whipped cream and chocolate sauce.    

The recipe is from a blog that I follow - More Than Burnt Toast

I know a chef instructor at CIA who will want this!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oh my so many wonderful dinners.  

Scamhi, I don't know if I've seen a better looking pork chop.  Looks delicious. 

I would be happy with everything in your post Dejah.  Your Yorkshires are perfect and that pie is a beauty.  But it is your Chinese dinner that has my mouth watering.   

BKEats, Suzi, the waffles really were good.  I'll definitely be making them again.

We had pizza last night.  I made the dough on Tuesday.   The pizzas were baked on the grill in the bakerstone oven.

Greek%20Pizza%20February%204th%2C%202015

Greek Potato Pizza

Margherita%20Pizza%20February%204th%2C%2

And a Margherita Pizza.

• Like 10