• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 1)

Paul Bacino

Note: This is part of an extended topic that became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it into shorter segments; the preceding part of this discussion is here: Dinner 2014 (Part 7)

Wild Alaskan Salmon brought to me by my Patient/ with a Jasmine tea Glaze
Farro salad- Pomagranates, pickled golden raisins, orange segmants, lime zest
Japanese sweet potato mash
Crispy leeks

I served this w/ 2013 Chateau Lestrille --12$ wine a must buy / mostly Semillon/ this has a wonderful acidty that will go great with many dishes

16228411689_cd9f9f61f2_k.jpg

Cheers from SNOWY --- OMAHA

16228411689_cd9f9f61f2_k.jpg

Edited by Mjx
Note added. (log)
  • Like 14

Its good to have Morels

Last night we had a mini-Thanksgiving redo for 4 people. 12lb turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed redskin potatoes, sugar snap peas and gravy. The turkey was the freebie I got from the supermarket after Thanksgiving. It cooked up perfectly, must be because of the smaller size. Saved the carcass to make soup, and leftovers will be enjoyed tonight.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Yesterday I was so busy that somehow meals were largely forgotten. By late afternoon I was on the verge of chewing on my stainless steel refrigerator! Dinner was still almost 2 hours away so I tossed together this salad

image.jpg

Romaine lettuce, roasted butternut squash, Blue cheese and bacon bits. It took the edge off while I prepared this

image.jpg

Very small duck breast that was brushed on the flesh side with a combination of marmalade, orange zest, honey and thyme. It was then sous vided for one and a half hours and crisped on the skin side in a cast iron skillet. It is cross posted on the citrus cook off topic.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 16

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Nina,

Your salad looks lovely. What is the dressing?

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Had a friend around today and as we're not going to have the opportunity to cook anything for Chinese New Year I thought I'd cook a chinese meal for us all. Chicken rice again, golden sand lobster with crispy thai basil, steamed black bean razor clams with lobster roe, fish fragrant aubergines and broccoli with chinese bacon. image.jpg

• Like 15

people keep bringing things to my house..  some lamb sausages..  A brief inventory showed that I only had large carrots, onions, celery and some lettuce as vegetables..   I took a large sweet onion and cooked it down.. added beer and butter, a large whole grain mustard.  

Served with rye bread and dijon mustard.  

grilled the sausages and then let it meld with the onions and mustard. grilled fresh rye also brought to the house.   

16423517275_07da668bf1_c.jpg

• Like 15

Prawn--I want one of those razor clams

BK--Lovely sausages.  At least someone brought food this time lol.

My Superbowl dinner was not traditional at all.  Mainly because I could not have cared less who won.  I was pleased, though, by the outcome since Seattle kicked my beloved Broncos butts last year.  

The Asian market had the tiniest quail I've ever seen.

photo 1.JPG

I floured and browned them, made a mushroom gravy and baked until super tender.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 13

Some weekend meals. Perfect weather to cook with single digit temps and more than one foot of snow at the door.

Risotto alla milanese. I started by cooking shallots in veal bone marrow and that made everything extra creamy.

Photo Jan 30, 8 22 59 PM.jpg

Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin with peas "a la francaise". Adapted from Eric Ripert's www.aveceric.com. 

Photo Feb 01, 1 46 19 PM.jpg

Roast beef tenderloin with potato and arugula salad.

Photo Jan 31, 8 46 28 PM (1).jpg

• Like 15

Anna, the dressing is creme fraiche, some preserved Meyer lemon peel, lemon juice, shallot, salt and olive oil. emulsified with a handblender, if it is smooth stir in some poppy seeds.

Thanks so much.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Ann – hot chicken sandwiches with gravy are perhaps my favorite food in the world!

Super Bowl noshes – Mr. Kim’s Chili:

med_gallery_3331_114_127618.jpg

Buffalo Chicken Dip:

med_gallery_3331_114_58754.jpg

Ooey, gooey insides:

med_gallery_3331_114_32576.jpg

This stuff comes out of the oven nuclear hot and people were blistering their mouths to get to it.  It is just the perfect football food – hot, rich, cheesy, spicy and you pile it on tortilla chips!

I also made a lemon icebox pie for dessert:

med_gallery_3331_172_92777.jpg

• Like 11

Wow !

KS

your Super looks so tasty

Im interested in the

Buffalo Chicken Dip:

I have a lot of SV chicken and turkey in the freezer

and I love 'Fritos' and TJ's has some scoops. ...........

everything I see youve had looks soo good for Football

Wow !

KS

your Super looks so tasty

Im interested in the

Buffalo Chicken Dip:

I have a lot of SV chicken and turkey in the freezer

and I love 'Fritos' and TJ's has some scoops. ...........

everything I see youve had looks soo good for Football

Thanks!  Here's the recipe: http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/DIPSSPREADS/Buffalo_Chicken_Dip.html  

One time, I mixed it all up and made it into wontons!  That was possibly my most successful dish I've ever made.

• Like 1

""  I mixed it all up and made it into wontons!  ""

i can see this

I put stunning BBQ wings  ( left overs  go figure ) into wontons a long time ago

and they were outstanding

no more leftover wings these days ....

Grilled chicken thighs with coconut tamarind glaze - something I make whenever I open a can of coconut milk and don't use the whole thing.

A new to me recipe, roasted coconut cauliflower rice - not bad but if I make it again I will increase the coconut oil (I should have known as this came from a "healthy" website) 

coconut caulirice and coconut tamarind chicken.jpg

• Like 5

Crappy photo. Lamb loin with charmoula sauce and couscous with roasted fennel and mushrooms from Fine Cooking Winter 2015.  Couldn't be bothered to sous vide the loin.  Just grilled it for three minutes a side.

DSC00749.JPG

• Like 4