• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting Canned Tomatoes

Shel_B

Tomatoes ain't happening now, but Toots asked for a particular dish that includes a good percentage of tomatoes.  Canned tomatoes are supposed to be a pretty good alternative to fresh, especially when tomatoes are not in season.  Roasting tomatoes can intensify their flavor, so what about roasting canned tomatoes?  Might that be a good option?  The dish Toots wants can be found here and I was thinking about roasting some canned tomatoes and then adapting them to this dish.  Any thoughts on this?

I vaguely recall someone here roasting canned tomatoes, but haven't been able to find the post(s).

... Shel

Roasting any tomatoes, canned or fresh, would alter this recipe and I suspect not in a good way.

The flavor of roast tomatoes can be very deep, but I think that would over power the rest of the ingredients this recipe. (Also they are much drier. The recipe specifically wants to keep the moisture. I agree with nickrey.)

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I found a lot of recipes  when I googled  "roasting canned tomatoes".

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

(Also they are much drier. The recipe specifically wants to keep the moisture. I agree with nickrey.)

I'm not sure- the recipe calls for peeled and deseeded tomatoes, so you're taking a lot of the moisture out of them.  If you use canned tomatoes, you should deseed them too.  I don't think I'd bother roasting them though, maybe just pat them dry and use the juice from the tin instead of the water.

I'm not sure- the recipe calls for peeled and deseeded tomatoes, so you're taking a lot of the moisture out of them.  If you use canned tomatoes, you should deseed them too.  I don't think I'd bother roasting them though, maybe just pat them dry and use the juice from the tin instead of the water.

The recipe specifically says

"

2 pounds tomatoes -- peeled and seeded

- and chopped

- reserve juices"

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The recipe specifically says

"

2 pounds tomatoes -- peeled and seeded

- and chopped

- reserve juices"

The recipe does say "Cook for several minutes, then add 1/2 cup water or juices from the tomatoes ..."  So, perhaps in this recipe, roasting the tomatoes may be somewhat self defeating. 

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel