• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Please help me identify what organ meat/offal this is?

somanytoes

what the heck did i just ate?, really curious what this is, and i don't think its tripe either, it might be pig's uterus, but it looks kinda different from what i am seeing on the internet, where the uterus is shown to be smooth instead of looking like "corn on the cob" texture as u can see if u enlarge the photos. thank you!

002.jpg

001 (1).jpg

For the pig's sake I hope it's not her uterus.

I'd guess tripe though I am not an expert in variety meat.

it may be tripe but what kind of tripe then?, i tried to compare it with beef tripe and its kinda diffrerent. 

I can's seemto find anything that look the same on the interwebz

it may be tripe but what kind of tripe then?, i tried to compare it with beef tripe and its kinda diffrerent. 

I can's seemto find anything that look the same on the interwebz

Why did you eat it?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have never seen that organ in a pig or a cow or a lamb or a turkey or a rabbit.

Too small for a pig anyway. It is possible. I am not 100% sure

Look at this dish of fish intestines and you may see some almost identical parts.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_juLNrbUUgpw/TSadN3Ufy_I/AAAAAAAACDg/id7E0a3pl9U/s640/PB203471.JPG

dcarch

hmm..now that does look pretty similar to what i had...so maybe it is fish intestines?...except imo, what i had had a porky-ish smell to it...

Can't you/couldn't you ask the person you bought it from?

i did. and i think they said pig's stomach, but pretty sure that's not right...there was a language barrier. got it from hong kong supermarket in edison nj

Kudos, I cant imagine being served that at a restaurant , let alone buying it raw at a grocery store without a label. You my friend, got a set on ya.

it was labelled as uterus, but a google search quickly disagreed w that, also the "butcher" said stomach, which google also disagree with...so i'm kinda confused. aso it said that it was "prepared"/meaning cooked already...but then another person who works there said its not cooked yet....

...alas, i decided to to ask the ppl on the internet if they had any clue...seems everyone here is also kinda unsure. o well

You said you ate it. How did you prepare it? Did you just boil and eat. I would imagine it was chewy.

boiled it. with salt. lots of salt  ate it. reminds of of chicken gizzards( when its cooked to be crunchy, not the braised way where it becomes extremely tender)

Your definitely more ballsy then me. Braised tender i could handle, but crunchy would definitely get the gag reflex going. Thought reminds me of eating raw pickled chicken hearts when i was a kid.

Edited by FeChef (log)

Don't totally dismiss the pig uterus theory. Pigs have very long uterine horns which are tubular with folds running the length on the inside. The smooth surface is on the outside of the tube. Your item looks like a tube spit along its length and sort of turned inside out. Both the muscular wall layer and the folds look too thick to be a mammalian intestine. I was not taught much fish anatomy in veterinary school so can't comment about their intestines.

Edited by cyalexa (log)

Your definitely more ballsy then me. Braised tender i could handle, but crunchy would definitely get the gag reflex going. Thought reminds me of eating raw pickled chicken hearts when i was a kid.

Raw pickled chicken hearts?  Please to explain who prepared this and why you ate it. 

Raw pickled chicken hearts?  Please to explain who prepared this and why you ate it. 

My grandma's husband pickled them. He would always dare me to eat one. He told me they were raw, but im thinking he was joking and they were probably boiled first. I eventually ate one. It was chewy and crunchy. Did not taste bad, but not good either.

Pig "fallopian tubes" (生腸), as they are popularly called, largely split lengthwise and cleaned up.

ETA:  They would correspond with those "long uterine horns" that cyalexa referred to above.

Anatomically and scientifically speaking, uterine horns and Fallopian tubes are different structures. The "culinary definition" may differ from the true scientific definition. 

• Like 1