• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Want to expand my knowledge of wine

Hi all,

Just want to introduce myself.

I have recently started taking an interest in wine and have come to the point where I want to start learning more about it. At this point I can identify which lines I like, and which I don’t, but I really hope to be able to take it a step further and understand what makes it so that I like certain wines and that I don’t like others.

I’d also like to start experimenting with wines from different countries and regions. So far I’ve mostly stuck to wines that I know from California, but I’d like to broaden that interest a little. Any suggestions from you guys would be much appreciated of course?

I’m hoping to tap into the expertise that you guys have in the field as I’m sure many of you know a heck of a lot more than I do. If there are any resources that you guys can recommend that will help me learn about wine I would sincerely appreciate it.

Hi, welcome to eGullet.

With wine, for me it's better to start with styles that you like, then branch out.  Which styles do you enjoy?  If you like big reds, you should try some southern Côtes du Rhône.  If you prefer dry whites, maybe southern Burgundy or Touraine.

And drink as much good Champagne as possible :)

Welcome, georgetollman!

You're sure to get good advice from people like jmacnaughton, above, and he's right that you'll get better guidance if you tell people what you already know you like. You may also find this eGullet Culinary Institute (eGCI) course on Evaluating Wine useful. I did.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

keep track os what you drink.  soak off the labels and paste them in a notebook and

write down what you think.

I did this starting out, still have the notebooks.  it might be difficult to soak off labels these days, 

if so, take a pic and paste that in a spreadsheet.

there are a lot of good into wine books and then there is the internet

and of course, Trader Joes, where everything is cheaper.

Thanks all for the warm welcome. Really appreciate it.

To answer your questions, so far I've been sticking mostly to Cab Sauv wines. This is the wine that initially tickled my curiosity, but it's my goal to start exploring more. I will definitely have to give Côtes du Rhône a try as you mention.

Thanks Smithy, I will check out the course.

Those are also great ideas rotut. I should definitely start making notes on what wines I like and which I don't and then try to determine what it is in the wines that I enjoy. Great suggestion.

Welcome, georgetollman! I suggest that you check out the "wine course" that Eric Asimov is doing for the NY Times. The articles are available online through the NY Times website. Since the course has been going on for awhile, you should be able to access older articles in the archives. You may have to pay a fee.

You don't say where you're from, but it sounds like somewhere in California. If you're in the Bay Area, I suggest wine courses at the SF Cooking School given by a well-respected sommelier, Eugenio Jardim. Also, this coming Monday, sommelier and author Evan Goldstein will do a talk and tasting about South American wines (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Uruguay) at the JCCSF. Very unusual--I thought about attending but my schedule is crammed.

good luck with your wine studies!