• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Equipment buying dilemma

Nut chef

So I looking now, at the vacmaster.vp112,and anova pro,would love to get them both but I'm not able,so the question is,get the vp112 sealer and cheapo immersion circulator,or get whatever sealer sins you can even cook food sous vide in Ziploc bags,and get the Anova Pro circulator? What makes more sens in your opinion guys?

Their arguments to be made for both sides. The question is would you use the vacuum sealer for anything other than SV or that all you want it for? If that's all you want it for than go for the better circulator and don't worry so much about the vacuum sealer. If on the other hand you have other things you would like to vacuum seal then you are probably better off going for the better sealer.

It also partly depends on what kind of things you envision using SV to cook. If you're planning on doing things that require precision temperature control such as eggs etc. the better circulator may be a good bet. However if you are just putting in doing meats with longer cook times than a little variation won't make much difference.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Why do you think you need the Anova Pro rather than the other models?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I believe he meant the other anova models.

Yes.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

On what scale will you be cooking? Home Anova can move some water.

What sort of temp precision do you need really? Unless you plan to dabble at the lower limits of safety...and why bother with that?...+/- 1  degree is more than good enough...and home anova is more like  +/- 0.5 degrees

Edited by gfweb (log)

I have the first generation Anova and I am more than happy with it.  If I were buying now I'd look into the Anova pro.  Now that they have redone the user manual I can recommend the Polyscience 300 chamber vacuum sealer.  (Why they would have released a chamber vacuum sealer with such a messed up manual I do not know.)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

what is the point of SV  for your purposes

answer that carefully and it will lead you down a path that will be worthwhile for you.

I generally try to buy the 'next thing up' for something I know interests me.  think innards of computers etc

as I dont want to buy that item again for some time.

I started with the SousVideMagic and the Weston vacuum sealer.  both items a bit pricy but that was a long time ago

but I did my home work and took some time making those decisions.  it worked out very well for me

as there are two secret weapons one should consider as part of an ( extended ) SV armamentarium :

a good freezer, a large beer cooler , and patiences to wait for sales on the Cuts of Meat you enjouy

whoops that might be three

after all, you can add/upgrade anytime if this ends up being the Cat's Meow for you

I did.  have a chamber vac w and oil pump..  its fantastic but Id bin SV'ing for several years

still working on making space in the always full freezer ....

When I last checked prices on circulators (curiosity - not shopping) the Anova "Pro" model was about 2x the price of the Anova base models.  Anova base models were 200ish and VP112 was 600ish.

If you're comparing a set up consisting of (1) Anova Pro + ziploc bags @ approx $400 or (2) "Cheapo circulator and VP112 chamber sealer @ approx $600 + price of cheapo circulator (and there are no "cheapo" circulators), then I can only suggest door number 3:  Anova base model and decent strip sealer,  $200 each @ approx $400.   The Anova base model compares well to the Pro model for most applications.  Strip sealers have their limitations that can be worked with.

Unless there's something magic that the pro Anova offers that you really need, I see no reason to buy it over the normal home models. The "degree of precision" is exactly the same, and there are few occasions in a home cooking scenario where you'd want or need to circulate 15 gallons. If you're using it in a commercial kitchen, that might be a different story (though there you still might just be better off buying two Anova One circulators rather than a single Pro).

So if it's just for normal, non-commercial use... get a cheap circulator and a chamber vacuum. It's hands down the better option. No contest.