• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freeze Dryers and Freeze Dried Food (Part 2)

TonyC

13 hours ago, palo said:

Sounds like something I might like but what is the initial investment?

As well the process taking 48+ hours seems like a lot of electricity usage.

p

I have a Kill-a-Watt on the power cord.  Our cost per KWHr here is 8.6 cents and a typical 24-28 hour batch uses about $1.70 of electricity.

• 1 month later...

Heh Gang! Just got my machine and it's up and running well. One of the things that is taking me time is knowing how much I can get on a tray. Like eggs. I know now that I can do 18 eggs per tray, medium eggs, hens just started laying a month ago. And I am tracking my times on things. 3 bananas per tray...

I think I've read every post on Part 1 and Part 2 and I've not seen anything to give me clues. I've searched the internet and not seen much either. Did I miss it? Just a simple list with total batch time would be helpful too. How many apples? That way I will know how much to buy, beg or borrow!

Oh, by the way, tray holds 1 quart of colostrum, and I would assume milk too.

Edited by EweLady (log)

I am not sure, I can buy freeze dried but I don't know the loss of IG. I am calling around to see who has a tester. I've read that 50% could be lost, in that case just halve the water. But there may be no loss. Currently we deal with it frozen but it's slow to thaw and when you need it it's usually an emergency so it would be much faster to have it in the freeze dried state. And of course you can NOT microwave it. And I'd have more room for food in the freezer!

Edited by EweLady
add a word! NOT~~~ (log)

10 minutes ago, chefmd said:

@EweLady Ahem, how do you use freeze dried colostrum?

I was afraid to ask!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

A colostrum update... well it didn't re-hydrate well. The fat stayed as fats. Globs of butter which would never pass through a nipple on a lamb bottle. Additionally the quality tested below average. Not worth all those hours for sure unless I can figure out a way to break up the butter.

But, pulled pork is amazing! I had smoked two pork butts on Saturday for a cookout on Sunday and ended up with quite a bit left. Which I sort of planned on. Froze a bunch but decided to try two trays as an experiment. Two trays of meatballs (halved, something I think I saw mentioned on this forum) because I got them at a bargain and the two trays of meatballs took about 22 hours. I lost track of the time because I freaked out when I found it was done when I got up!!! And the trays had turned back to ice. So I set it to dry for an hour and everything was fine.

• 1 year later...

Excellent news! Harvest Right now offers an oil free scroll pump. They were testing a couple when I went through the facility in Utah - I had told them about mine and they decided they needed to find a way to add one to their options that wasn't outrageously expensive - looks like they have succeeded. It's around $1500 - which is very reasonable compared to the industrial ones out there. I think I paid close to that for the used one I purchased from e-bay. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Haven't fired up the freeze dryer for a while (noisy even with the scroll pump) - but @Alleguede showed up the other day with 5 lbs of frozen raspberries that are apparently required for the upcoming workshop (at least that's how he sold it). 48 hours later - all freeze dried.

• Like 6

• 5 years later...

I recently panic bought freeze dried skittles and Charleston Chews as last minute gifts from a local vendor.  I never bought or liked the conventional versions of skittles and Ch-chews ever, not my kind of candy.

BUT,

When these things are puffed by freeze drying, it's a whole different story.  The crunchy airy-ness is highly satisfying.  Hard to describe, but the flavors are not intensified, but more rounded.

There was also Fr Dried Bit O Honey, but I didn't try that one yet.

If you see some around, give it a try.

• Like 1