• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fun With Pork Skin

Shelby

After grinding up our venison and a bit of pork, I was left with a bit of pork skin.  I decided to make homemade pork rinds.  It's one of the most fun things I've ever done in the kitchen.  I know, I know probably many of you have done this....but if it's been a while, I highly suggest doing it again  :biggrin:   

Like I said, this piece of skin was not very big, but I thought it would be the perfect size for me to learn on.

photo 1.JPG

I used kitchen shears to cut the skin in to small squares.  I wouldn't do them bigger than this because they really puff up when you fry them.

photo 2.JPG

Next I brought a pot of water to boiling and placed the skins in for a little over an hour.  They curl up a little after boiling.

photo 3.jpg

I put the boiled skins in a ziplock and let them rest in the fridge over night so that the fat under the skin would congeal which makes it easier to scrape off.  See the white part?  That's the part you want to remove from the skin.photo 4.JPG  photo 5.JPG  photo 1.jpg

All scraped 

photo 2.JPG

I was left with a pile of fat that I'm going to render down this evening.

photo 3.JPG

All loaded in the dehydrator

photo 4.jpg

Done!  I dehydrated them for about 10-11 hours at 155 degrees F.  At this point you can store them in a bag in the fridge for quite a long time.

photo 1.jpg

Last night I decided to fry them to see if I got everything dry enough.....and, I just couldn't wait any longer to taste them  :laugh:

I heated the oil to 400 degrees F and in they went

photo 3.JPG

POOF!  These are SO fun to fry.

photo 4.JPG

I seasoned them with Tony's and happily munched away  :laugh:

photo 1.JPG

I had to test them you see because my husband came home with these

photo 2.JPG

So, I will be doing this process again today hopefully to have them dried in time for some Super Bowl snacking.  Oh, and I'll have a lot more fat to render too.

Something fun to do on this rainy Saturday  :smile:

P.S.  I might have eaten a couple of pieces after I took them out of the boiling water.....pretty tasty with some salt and pepper........

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 17

Very nice! I wish my spouse would come home with that sort of surprise!

I've been wanting to make these for a while but I don't have a dehydrator (I doubt I'd use it much) and am reluctant to use my crappy oven for the purpose... so I guess I'll have to stick with fresh ones from the local Mexican mart for now. On a related note, pork skin can

instead of frying. So you could dehydrate a bunch of them, keep them on hand, and puff them on demand without the need for oil -- most convenient! I wonder how well seasoning would adhere to them given that they wouldn't be coated in oil.
  • Like 2

Pork shoulders were on sale at $0.90 a lb. Got a ton of them. :-)

So cut them up for the freezer. The big bones were also frozen. They were sawed on my table saw into small pieces for stock and marrow.

Now pork skin!

I did basically the same as you Shelby, except:

1. Fat was scrape off in one piece. Easier and faster.

2. The whole skin was put into the dehydrator. After drying, I just crack it into little pieces. Saves room in the dehydrator and faster. 

3. I put the fried puffed cracklings in a plastic container, sprinkled some seasoning on them and shake, shake, shake. More even coverage, and a lot less seasoning was needed.

Yep. Superbowl. Actually not bad for health, basically not much fat at all, fried in vegetable oil.

dcarch

• Like 2

Very nice! I wish my spouse would come home with that sort of surprise!

I've been wanting to make these for a while but I don't have a dehydrator (I doubt I'd use it much) and am reluctant to use my crappy oven for the purpose... so I guess I'll have to stick with fresh ones from the local Mexican mart for now. On a related note, pork skin can

instead of frying. So you could dehydrate a bunch of them, keep them on hand, and puff them on demand without the need for oil -- most convenient! I wonder how well seasoning would adhere to them given that they wouldn't be coated in oil.

Next pan ready to boil.  My hands are SORE.  Pig skin is tough to cut.  The pieces got a bit bigger towards the end lol.  These pig skins have FAR more fat so I'll have a ton to render.  I guess this means I really, truly have to learn to make a decent pie crust.  :blink:

photo.JPG

• Like 3

Ever tried pig skin jelly?

That looks really good!  I am doing that next time with some.  Thank you!

Shouldn't you fry the skins in the rendered fat?  Just seems more economical.  :)

It does!  :laugh:

what is " Tony's " ?

and Ive forgotten what a rainy day is like

Tony's is a slightly spicy cajun seasoning.

http://www.tonychachere.com

I haven't made puffed pork rinds in a while, but when I did, I would either boil the skin whole, or pressure cook it. You're right, Shelby, cutting raw pork skin is tough! Much easier to cut once cooked... also like dcarch said, it's faster to scrape the fat off the whole piece.

I used to fry in peanut oil (it's the only oil I keep a large enough quantity to deep fry in) which was very tasty.... as for the dehydrating step, I'm jealous of your dehydrator - I've used my crappy gas oven - always a pita...

If you don't want to fry, I've read that you can puff the dehydrated skins in the microwave. I've tried it before, but my initial tests were not nearly as puffy, crispy and light as when I fried them.

• Like 1

That's happened to me before - I think it's because they weren't dehydrated enough... excess moisture will keep them from puffing fully... but then again, they also won't puff if they're not boiled enough. After the boiling step, the skin when hot should be VERY fragile. If it's not, then it's not done.

• Like 1

I tried this method a while back and my rinds turned out really chewy on the inside. What did I do wrong?

You don't need to have a sheepskin to make great pork skin.  :raz:

1. Cook the skin well. Remove all fat.

2. Dry the skin 100%  (12 hours in a dehydrator)

3. 400F heat.

dcarch

porkrind.jpg

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

How in the world did you make the spirals?  Very cool! 

Sorry! Didn't see your question until today.

Simple. Real simple. Makes snacking more enjoyable, especially when you have friends.

After boiling, roll the skin into a roll and refrigerate. (not freeze).

Next day, slice the rolls into thin slices and dehydrate, etc.

dcarch

• Like 1