• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frogs In Chinese Cuisine

cabrales

I have ordered frogs in New York's Chinatown more than once - the specific dish which springs to mind was Kung Bao frog at a Malaysian-Chinese restaurant which I think is at the west end of Bayard Street. I can check if anyone's interested - it's a place with a lot of cheerfuo mock-tropical decor in the big windows. The frogs were a little bony, but palatable.

I have seen big barrels of live frogs many times, but I confess I not fearless when it comes to the idea of purchasing and murdering them. As the immortal Withnail said of the chicken, "How are we going to make it die?"

Frogs are sold live in NY's Chinese food stores. When purchased the fish monger will kill and skin them. In French restaurants only the rear meaty legs are served, but in most Chinese dishes both front and bags legs are used. In an elegant prearation they may be boneless.

Kung Pao Frog's Legs (w dried hot chiles), Frog's Legs with Ginkgo Nuts, Frog's Legs with Black Bean Sauce, Frog's Legs w XO Sauce are some of the dishes you might look for in a restaurant.

By the way the Chinese name for frogs is rather poetic: 'tien gai' -- rice paddy chicken

I'm going to try some frogs' legs at a Thai restaurant this week and if all goes well, I'm sure I would order them at Chinese restaurants too.

At this particular restaurant, the frogs' legs are prepared in four ways, but none of those ways are unique to the frog dishes (meaning that chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, or squid versions of those dishes are also available). The Chinese dishes listed above seem to place the frog in a similar status as being yet another type of meat in a dish. Are there any Chinese dishes which specifically call for frogs as opposed to other types of meat?

edit: took away one word, added a couple more, moved a couple of apostrophes... y'know, the usual.

Edited by 201 (log)