• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shake Shack: your taste(y) view ?

rotuts

I follow the Markets, after all, its Value Entertainment. 

Shake had its IPO, etc

following an article on McD, it mentioned McD's competitors.

I didnt know that Shake had grass fed beef for its burgers

Is this is so, and you've been to The Shake, can you taste the difference w G.F.Beef ?

Ive had a few sirloin steaks  ( SV of course ) and it does have a different taste to

grain fed and finished beef.

Yeah, their burger is awesome. Definitely my fav of the "high end fast food" joints (direct competition with Five Guys, IMO, and the Shack's beef is noticeably better)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do not notice the grass-fed taste at Shake Shack.

What I do notice, however, is the uneven nature of the prep -- the burgers seem to vary a lot in juiciness.  This says something positive about the meat sourcing, but it can make for a soggy bun when you weren't expecting it.  Which is grosser than gross, and produces a trauma flashback to boot -- anyone here have a childhood rich in burgers on toasted wonder bread??? -- and then I want my money back so than I can redirect it to the trauma therapist.  Sigh.  

I have had some good burgers at Shake Shack, however, for what that's worth.   I don't go there anymore, tho.

• Like 1

I don't think it's grass-fed beef. 100% all-natural Angus beef is what their menu reads.

I like Shake Shack's burger, and I like some of the other offerings even more (concretes, hot dogs are both good).

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

many thanks

it will be a bit of time until they get to me

I look forward to it, except the lines.

a great shame  In'N'Out is not near me nor you.

''ask for the sauce for your fries.  3 x "

just saying

Fortunately, I'm able to time it when there are minimal lines, especially at some of the other locations (86th St. springs to mind. As does the location near Dupont in DC).

We'll be in San Francisco next week, and might have to snack on an In 'n Out.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

We'll be in San Francisco next week, and might have to snack on an In 'n Out.

Going to the Artisan Cheese Festival, by chance? 

If not, but you have free time, the Friday and Saturday evening events are really fun. Given all the food and drink included, both are well worth the cost of admission.

http://artisancheesefestival.com/

• Like 1

Not grass fed but delicious.  The beef tastes beefy and it has fat in it.

I think Shake Shack is the perfect burger.  I like the bun.  I taste butter and a slight sweetness.

I will stand in line, I will eat them in the cold, I will share mine with squirrels.

Who will not accept bun pieces.  They only want meat.  And they will take it from you with their furry little hands.

• Like 1

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

• 3 weeks later...

OMG

( been waiting to use that for a long long time.  once seems enough, though )

I had to exchange a few items at my Local LLBean.  its about 3-4 towns over, in a Very High End Outdoor Maul.

you know, Apple, Victoria Secret, etc  all the Top Stuff you need.

and Boom ! they had a Shack Shack !  after LL, it was 11:01, ( lucky me ) and they had just opened.

No Line !

I had the 'SmokeShack' a cheeseburger w applewood bacon and chopped cherry pepper and ShakeSauce

they gave me one of those Beeper Thing-ies, even though I was the only one there.  I guess personal tech is important these days.

I asked for it "legally rare'

it came to $ 7.16  seemed a bit steep while I was waiting for the Beeper to light up.

I picked it up in this trendy looking brown paper upright bag, with handles  ( please re-cycle me it said all over that bag.  it wasn't a small

bag either .....     and in that bag the burger was in one of those old fashioned thing cardboard open faced boxes.

the bacon was perfect, and not greasy.  it was thick cut and Im guessing a single rasher cut in 1/2 to fit the bugger

( BTW  FD :  Im a BaconSnob now that i have 12 10 lbs of Benton's bacon in the freezer   :raz: )

the cherry peppers had just the right amount of bite for me, and the shake sauce ( I take it its their version of mayo )

was nice. and the cheese was melted

it came to $ 7.16.   I thought this a bit high, but after  inhaling it  ( actually I took a bit of time ) this seemed fine

this was the best burger ive had in as long as I can remember

I don't count the 'steam' burgers Ive made in the CSB, they are a different animal.

over all I give it a 4 star out of 5.  Id give it a 5 if they asked if I wanted to do without the trendy bag they wouldn't 

recycle   

I count my blessings its 3 - 4 towns away.  but that's only 25 minutes if you study the various traffic patterns

and can get there when there is no line !

:laugh:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

I guess I'll have to keep and eye out for Shake Shack now. That sounds luscious!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

best burger ever it was  and it was really rare !

left me with the kind of 'inner glow' you're really looking for.

on 'occasion'

beats In'N'Out, 5 guys, and even my own non-Steam burger.

Ill now have to figure out a few more excuses to get back  to LL.  Im sure I can find something to 

'return'

:huh:

BTW the burger I has was the one you see on this page :

https://www.shakeshack.com

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Ooh, the SmokeShack burger.  Now you're talking.  Definitely their best burger.  Those hot peppers with the bacon seal the deal.

The key to a good Shake Shack burger is getting some crispness on both sides of the patty.  That crispiness, to me, if what makes a Shake Shack burger so good.  If I had one concern about expansion it's that they'll be able to maintain quality control of the patties.

At some place, like Five Guys, it's more about the fries, but Shake Shack is about the burger (preferably with a draught root beer.)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

A bit of a bump 

i had occasion to go to my ' Local ' SS

about 20 min away

i had some business at LLBean , that  SS is right there !

I got my Usual  :   the SmokeShack , a might fine burger w just the right amount of cherry-chili

an item I only know about through them

delicious it was.

I decided to get a Shake 

I chose vanilla , and it was thick and fine

I brought 1/2 home

and it was still fine cold but melted.

my discerning palate  ( or not )  detected a hint of coconut oil or what not in the Shake

I had nothing else to do so went to the SS site to find out abrout ingredients

I didn't fine ingredients

I found nutritional information , and an allegy spread sheet.

its not that important

don't they have a ingredient list ?

what exactly is in that Shake ?

it still tasted nice BTW