• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Tri Tip

Shel_B

A friend is bringing a few tri tips by later this AM.  What's the best way to cook these puppies?  Never cooked them.  Grilling and barbeque are not possible at this time.  Thanks!

... Shel

The best way to cook tri tip is to grill it. Guess you are looking for the second best way to cook tri tip since you state that you can not grill or barbeque them at this time.  :wink:

To approximate grilling, this cast iron cooking technique from Alton Brown works well, http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pan-seared-rib-eye-recipe.html.

Edited by curls (log)

If you have a sous vide setup, or can jury rig one, hold them for 4 hours at 125f or so and sear them in a hot pan or broiler to finish. You could also put them in a low temp oven at 225f or so until your internal temp is 125f then sear. You don't want to take them past medium rare or they will be tough.

• Like 2

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Took some time to find out  what it was, but we roast it.  I love making  Perma frost / backward roast with  it.   Easy and so lovely,  but the meat has to be frozen solid and you sleep most of the cooking process  and the meat is served as a  cold cut. 

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

[...]  You could also put them in a low temp oven at 225f or so until your internal temp is 125f then sear. You don't want to take them past medium rare or they will be tough.

OK, that'll work.  I do something similar with pork chops ... Thanks!

... Shel

• 5 years later...
On 2/1/2015 at 4:12 AM, mgaretz said:

If you have a sous vide setup, or can jury rig one, hold them for 4 hours at 125f or so and sear them in a hot pan or broiler to finish. You could also put them in a low temp oven at 225f or so until your internal temp is 125f then sear. You don't want to take them past medium rare or they will be tough.

In my usual fashion, I winged-it with a tri-tip before doing my eG research. I have done sv tri-tip before, but this time I went for low temp oven, at least in part to help warm up the house (it is winter here, after all).

125 F seems really low - I was shooting for about 58 C, but hit 56 C. I fussed with the temperature a lot during the cook, starting with a 200 C oven then dropping the temp after 15 min to around 120 C. Then dropped some more as the internal temp seemed to be rising too quickly - I was aiming for 3-4 hours cooking. What was interesting was that the temp rise completely stalled out at an oven temperature of ~70 C so I had to bring it back up again.

I did like the way the surface dried out nicely and kept the spices.  and the fat rendered some compared to sous vide, but it ended up as rare I care for and too rare for my beloved. I'm thinking next time trying about 90 C until it gets close to temp and then maybe dropping it to hold internal temperature for an hour. After that, maybe a quick sear under the broiler.

My oven has far too many options, I started with heat from above and below but the bottom wasn't getting dry so I switched to heat from above plus the re-circulation fan. So maybe try convection.

Sorry, no pictures - we got to the "need to eat -now!" point.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

@btbyrd good slicing image. I am a California girl so Santa Maria Tri Tip is moi. Never ever done low and slow. In my book I want a little "crust" and a juicy rest. This New York Times article is pretty much what I know. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016919-grilled-or-oven-roasted-santa-maria-tri-tip

Edited by heidih (log)

17 hours ago, rotuts said:

@btbyrd 

please consider posting that Vid in URL form ?

thanks

Let's see if this works...

https://youtu.be/gmxHmuV4vTU

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown