• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Staging at Alinea

dcgaviola91

I just lined up a stage at Alinea in a few weeks and have a few questions for anybody that has done one there before.

Are crocs acceptable in the kitchen? I have worked in several kitchens and have had different responses.

I am obviously bringing my knife bag but are there any tools that I definitely need to bring.

And also if anybody has comments on their experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Like 3

I'd just ask. Ask your contact person about any dress code specifics and at the same time ask about any special tools outside of the usual suspects that you should bring. If I was, for whatever reason, unwilling to ask, based on the fact that you've encountered problems with it in the past, I'd probably err on the side of caution and assume it wasn't okay until I knew for sure. Why get off to a negative start over something as simple as wearing a different pair of shoes for a day?

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I just lined up a stage at Alinea in a few weeks and have a few questions for anybody that has done one there before.

Are crocs acceptable in the kitchen? I have worked in several kitchens and have had different responses.

I am obviously bringing my knife bag but are there any tools that I definitely need to bring.

And also if anybody has comments on their experience would be appreciated. Thanks!

Check out youtube. I think you can find videos on how they operate.

dcarch

• 2 weeks later...

dont wear crocs, get birkis, or something without holes in them. If you need a good shoe, check out mozo.com. make sure you have your own basic tools, micro plane, peelers, etc. Anything really specific they will have. Keep your knives sharp and your hands clean

A vision without action is a Daydream; Action without vision is a Nightmare.