• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stoves and Ovens: Wolf? Thermador? Bluestar? Viking?

cfbuchanan

Can the installation problem be fixed?

According to the repair man, there is no problem. The range was installed correctly. It vents out the back like it is supposed to.

Sorry -- I misread your post.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

• 4 years later...

So in a couple weeks I'll be moving into a condo that has a Viking range. I guess it's a 30" model, 4 sealed burners with a small grate in the center. Did the home inspection, and even on high heat, each burner doesn't seem to produce much of a flame. I'm used to gas stoves where high means a veritable torch of blue flame - on this Viking, it's pretty sedate and the flame does not appreciably rise above the burner cap.

Is that normal for Vikings? I put my hand a foot or so over the burner and it was bloody hot, so I'm not sure whether something is wrong or not.

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Call your gas company -- *almost* all of them offer free inspection of residential gas appliances, and will adjust the air/fuel mixture (or provide other easy fixes) free of charge.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Last Viking range I had had a combination of 15,000 and 20,000 BTU burners - significantly higher than the usual home range. Aside from others' comments, verify that the regular is right (whether by setting or replacement) with the type of gas you're using -- LP or natural gas.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I am one of the many disciples of Fuchsia Dunlop, and now devoting a great deal of my cooking to Chinese, and particularly Sichuan food.

Like most home chefs, I am frustrated by the use of my western -- in my case Viking -- stove, and the problem of getting enough heat into my food quickly enough to sear it without steaming.  I have gotten some improvement by switching to a cast iron wok, which seems to get a good bit hotter than my carbon steel wok, but its still not quite what I would like.

I read the post about the WokMon below, and will consider that, but it looks a bit scary to be using in a home kitchen, and I'll need a stool to reach up and cook over it.  I see that Viking makes a special grate with a wok cutout that theoretically will allow the base of the wok to get into closer contact with the flames.  I'm wondering if anybody has used this, and can comment on its effectiveness.  Thanks.

http://www.allvikingparts.com/CWGT_Wok_Grate_for_Custom_Series_p/cwgt.htm

I don't think that grate will make much difference unless the heat is centered under the wok.

I don't think it will be a magic bullet either, but I was hoping that by lowering the "bowl" of the wok, it might engage the flame closer to the bottom.  Was hoping that somebody might have some insight, before buying one, to see if there is any marginal difference at all.

• 8 months later...

Does anyone have experience with the Wolf steam convection oven?  As part of a kitchen remodel we're considering getting one and I'm wondering how well it works, especially for bread baking (it has a bread setting).  Any input on performance of the oven would be appreciated.

• 2 years later...

What are, generally, the maximum cooktop BTUs of the high-end ranges? ~15,000 to 20,000 BTUs?

What's the approximate diameter of the burner itself?

I'm considering setting up a high BTU outside searing station. devil2.gif

:smile:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I have the Bluestar Platinum with the 25K BTU burners, and I now find it difficult to cook on other stoves.  I had also considered a Capital range, which as far as I know is the only other range available in the US with 25K BTU burners, but I preferred the Bluestar for the "Garland" shaped burners and the ability to fit a wok into a burner without a ring.

While the Platinum burners are excellent, the oven is much less so, and some elements of the range design are ridiculous to the point of un-useability (i.e., I find the griddle absolutely worthless and for aesthetic purposes only because of the lack of real grease traps), and I have found Bluestar's customer service unresponsiveness to be horrible.  If I had it to do over again I would consider a Capital range, or if I had enough space just go with the Bluestar cooktop (which is really better for Chinese cooking which I do a lot of), and put in a Rational or other good oven system (i.e., Wolf, Capital).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

My regular Blue Star I think has 18K BTU burners.  They are plenty hot enough for me.

For Chinese cooking there is no such thing as "hot enough," and there are times when I wouldn't mind even more power, but the 25K BTU works much better than my old Viking, and I think that 25K is near the limit of my ventilation cababilities.  I have 8 burners, but find myself cooking mostly on the 25Ks, even for Western food.  There are many cooking tasks for which hotter is better, that you don't realize until you have the power to do it.  

• Like 2

Can you guys give me an estimate of the diameter of the ring (or whatever) of burner orifices at the widest point? 5"? 6"?

Thanks!

:smile: