• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread, beef and beer.

ciderthom

I have an idea to start a festival catering venture in the U.K. using rare breed, organic beef, "artisan" bread and micro-brewery beer. Based in the south west, although venturing further afield as and when, I am seeking: recipes (preferably British or European) for one pot and/or flash cooking, historical information about salt beef methods, serving ideas (trenchers?), suppliers of well aged meat, stock ingredients, bread (does anyone know anything about trenchers? sourdough based?) and any other information that you think will be useful or relevant.

In anticipation.

Ciderthom

• Welcome to eGullet, ciderthom.

What, if I may ask, is your background that would lead you to start such a venture if you don't already have at least some recipes, haven't thoroughly already researched salt beef history and trenchers and the like, and don't already have at least some supplier contacts (or know people who do) in your region, etc.? Are you a cook/chef/caterer? Or a historian? A hotel owner? Or a venture capitalist? Or ? What particular expertise do you have - i.e. where are YOU coming from when looking at this 'idea'?

Have you done market research that supports your concept in that particular area? How did you do that if you don't have catering industry contacts? What 'festivals' do you want to service? Are there enough of those to support such a venture?  

I don't mean to throw everything right back at you, but, you asked for an awful lot of information. What leads you do this if you don't know much or anything about every area you just asked about? Nothing wrong with asking for input at all - but I do hope you were not planning on starting this business soon (as in any time in the next year or two) because it sounds as though you may have a lot more research to do - and more importantly - networks of 'useful' people/organizations to establish in that local area, before you can get it off the ground.

If this is not the case, perhaps you could narrow down your questions a bit?

It sounds like a wonderful idea - and delicious - but is it viable as a business and at what cost? Are you the right person to initiate it? These are all questions you may need to ask yourself.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 3

Right now, beef is at a historically high piece, meaning that it's being downplayed by a lot of venues. They are offering cheaper cuts and emphasizing chicken and pork specials. Anyone just offering beef had better have a very well-heeled clientele.

Anyway, agree with all of the above. You might wish to attend catering college to learn some of what you have asked plus a lot of management information that you will need. You'll need to spend several months just studying bread, IMO.

• Like 1

dunno - sounds pretty neat, actually.

well seasoned / marinated beef - 'antique breed' adds to the mystic...

sliced thin, cooks in a flash on a hot rock.

ala BeniHanna - or how about hot salt slab?

2-3 slices - what....mebbe 3 ounces/85g

served with a good bread and a good beer.

what could possibly go wrong?

isn't that what Custer asked?

• Like 1