• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Competition BBQ

gfweb

"---------Rules are made to set boundaries, to keep some kind of focus, otherwise someone might think it is OK to submit smoked pies.----------"

I understand you need some boundaries, but why you must use Styrofoam boxes? only 4 kinds of garnishes and only six sticks of ribs cut in stipulated ways?

Why, the judges can't tell true tastes if someone uses a different garnish to look pretty?

I much prefer seeing some freedom, like the Masterchef, Ironchef kind of competitions.

dcarch

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Dcarch has a point. If a contest is so strictly governed that the chili are all pretty much versions of the same thing, then it isn't much of a contest other than one to see who can get the meat done most correctly. Sort of a cooking version of those art school ads that would say " if you can make a good drawing of this (elf, dog, tree) you have a future in art".

Never having been to one...but I suspect the event is more important than the actual results. Sort of like tailgating with a purpose.

I like that

• Like 1

I've only ever cooked in KCBS comps. I was also a certified judge and judged a dozen or so contests. 

We always made our turn in box look as nice as possible, but I've seen teams go to extreme lengths to create a "perfect presentation". I pretty much ignored the garnish when judging. We were told to judge the meat. There are three scores each weighted, one each for appearance, texture, and flavor. Flavor is weighted most heavily. Because it's a meat contest, the meat appearance is what is to be judged, Basically, does this look like  something I'd like to eat. 

While there are similarities there are also lots of differnces. Rubs, wood, sauce, I don't think it's limiting. It's just staying inbounds with the basketball. 

• Like 3

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Dcarch has a point. If a contest is so strictly governed that the chili are all pretty much versions of the same thing, then it isn't much of a contest other than one to see who can get the meat done most correctly. Sort of a cooking version of those art school ads that would say " if you can make a good drawing of this (elf, dog, tree) you have a future in art".

Never having been to one...but I suspect the event is more important than the actual results. Sort of like tailgating with a purpose.

I like that

I agree!!!!

Show us what YOU'VE got and let the CROWD decide what is best!!!!

Now that's a real BBQ competition and one that I'd attend!  :smile:

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

People are being critical of BBQ contests while admitting they have never been to one, are passing judgement on what they suppose are the rules, having not bothered to listen to what has been said about them.  Some statements indicate a misunderstanding of what is BBQ.  A great deal of BBQ served in restaurants is steamed until it’s overcooked then drowned in sauce. It gives BBQ a bad name, because people think it is what BBQ is supposed to be. Some really great BBQ isn’t sauced at all.

It puzzles me that people say “what good is a chili contest if all the entries are chili?”  Indeed, what good is a smoked rib contest if all the entries are smoked ribs?

By that standard, what good are beer judging competitions if the only thing judged is beer?

Why bother rating wines if they are all pinot noir?

• Like 3

People are being critical of BBQ contests while admitting they have never been to one, are passing judgement on what they suppose are the rules, having not bothered to listen to what has been said about them. Some statements indicate a misunderstanding of what is BBQ. A great deal of BBQ served in restaurants is steamed until it’s overcooked then drowned in sauce. It gives BBQ a bad name, because people think it is what BBQ is supposed to be. Some really great BBQ isn’t sauced at all.

It puzzles me that people say “what good is a chili contest if all the entries are chili?” Indeed, what good is a smoked rib contest if all the entries are smoked ribs?

By that standard, what good are beer judging competitions if the only thing judged is beer?

Why bother rating wines if they are all pinot noir?

I agree with all of this. There's a lot of closed minded presumptiveness in this thread.

By and large the competitors and judges at a BBQ competition are in a great mood to be there. And the restrictions placed on entries are there to level the playing field.

While people's choice competitions are sure fun there's more showmanship involved than anything else. The team with the loudest/friendliest/most buxom bikinis wins. Double blind boxes forces you to shed all that and simply cook the winning food. And the rules don't specify what that is to taste like.

As an aside I've judged a number of CASI chili contests and yes you must cook your chili meat well but it's a lot more complicated than that. There's massive variance in the entries, in style, execution, and seasoning. Just like there certainly is massive variance between the 50+ teams submitting each BBQ meat.

• Like 2

I agree w jaymes about the box.  its a point of focus, not a point to blur ..

" the event is more important than the actual results."

this is like the State Fair.  USofA.  nobody in their right mind would go to one, but fun was had by all.

BBQ comps offer better food, Id hope, then the State Fair.

Ive only seen the TV show  BBQ Pitmasters, and have learned a lot on timing, brining, etc

Three teams compete for three judges.

the judges explain what they are seeing  :  box, texture  taste etc.

the box is important to a certain degree, but it focus's on the meat.

no one claims the winner is the one w the BBQ Id like best.  which is what's really important here.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Is the meat marinating machine a vacuum tumbler? I bet that'd be allowed. Jaccard is allowed, marinade and brine is allowed. You just can't use anything but wood/charcoal/pellets for your heat source.

I agree with what rotuts said about competition BBQ above. It's not "BBQ I'd like best" it's "best BBQ according to judges" you don't know what the judges like so the goal is to leave a lasting impression, with perfectly cooked meats, and no offensive flavors. The route you take to get there (trimming, brine, rub, sauce, foil, glaze) is different from cook to cook. In theory the judges are to weigh your entry on its own merits: did you pull off a delicious memphis dry rub rib that needs no sauce? That should be worth as many points as a perfectly sauced sticky Kansas City style spare rib.

But at the end of the day you're cooking for an audience. Even if you're the executive chef of your own restaurant you still have to consider what brings home the bacon from your guests even if you'd like something done differently.

• Like 2

""  you don't know what the judges like ""

in the big $$ comps, its like anything else w big $$$ :  Im sure the competitors know exactly what the judges are looking for

and cook at least a 'bit' to order  that's not a criticism, just a fact of Nature.

each comp. is looking for a style, that's why each is named in a certain way.

BBQ Pitmasters  ( Kingsford ) is a TV production that mimics the Real Comps

Myron Mixon is one of the three judges and this might be his production

No Matter  : the three judges do explain what they are looking for for each box and each box's three grades.

everyone on this show and Im sure the KC and Memphis comps know the same

this does detract from the comps, it simply is a fact of nature and money.

too bad Im not the King of Judges.  Id be goooooooooood at it.

PS :  my epithet on the Circuit would be Rotuts, One more Bite

PSS Too late, Ive trademarked it and have a patent pending.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Is the meat marinating machine a vacuum tumbler? I bet that'd be allowed. Jaccard is allowed, marinade and brine is allowed. You just can't use anything but wood/charcoal/pellets for your heat source.

No BBQ Guru, and no sous vide either.

Yes, that's what I won, a vacuum electric marinating tumbler.

If they were to have one category, anything goes category. It would be so much more fun. Imagine, Ribs! Free-form cooking. Present it, cook it, season it, boil it, steam it, BBQ it, plate it, garish it any way you want --- If it taste good, looks good, you win that category.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 1

Cool prize! It would be cool to own one of those as my isi can only pressure marinate about two servings at once. I've competed in BBQ comps before with additional chefs choice and dessert categories and these are usually "anything goes" for garnish as well. I think garnishing with $100 bills might get you disqualified though.

One year I submitted crawfish étouffée but didn't win, I believe the filet mignon took it.

I'm back. Just spent a great eating and parading weekend in New Orleans with friends.

Many friends who are teams competing include such diverse occupations as restaurateurs, landscapers, butchers, retirees, wine sommeliers, educators and on and on. Not everyone rides a bike. I do recommend judging at Bikes, Blues, and BBQ in Fayetteville, AR. Great event with over 500,000 bikers around. Top teams in this part compete there.

How good was that étouffée entry? I like Anything But category. That is where a team or cook can do things outside the rules. Remember, KCBS competitions are meat events with guidelines. I appreciate a team who is not afraid to do something different. I wish teams would get away from Blues Hog sauce. It is meat competition not a sauce competition. The sauce competition is known as Firey Foods.

I would enjoy seeing more diversity. Smoking with just rubs and no sauces. Actually how well can you compete using nothing more than just salt and pepper. If you use an injection, does it enhance the overall flavor of the meat. How well can you create stellar meat using your chosen cooker. Your choice of wood definitely effects the taste of end product. I have had entry's that I later found out came off a kettle smoker that blew away those expensive tow-behinds. The art is in the hand is the head cook.

When I score an entry I am keeping in mind the guidelines. Plus if that entry rocks and I would want to eat it just like it was turned in for a week or more it is definitely getting 9s from me.

Enough for now.

Oh one last thing. Big $$ events does not necessarily guarantee good entry's at my table. I have judged too many SAMs Clube events.

• Like 1

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Thanks Joiei.

Sometime ago, I entered into some free-form competitions. I made lamb. I thought I did very well, but didn't win any. It occurred to me that perhaps not too many people enjoy lamb.

Is it true that lamb is not a popular meat for BBQ competitions?

dcarch

Thanks Joiei.

Sometime ago, I entered into some free-form competitions. I made lamb. I thought I did very well, but didn't win any. It occurred to me that perhaps not too many people enjoy lamb.

Is it true that lamb is not a popular meat for BBQ competitions?

dcarch

I've never seen it as a category although I like it a lot. I judged a competition that Cabela's sponsored. They had wild boar as an optional meat. They provided the meat. Most of what I tasted was pretty good.  

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

• 1 year later...

Here are the rules and regulations for judges to follow for the 2016 competition year.  http://www.kcbs.us/pdf/2016_rules.pdf

And Jaymes,  I hope to get to be a judge at a new contest in Robinson (Waco) in May.  If it happens let have a date in Austin.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!