• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Port glasses

gfron1

I've just invested in a nice vintage Graham's and I want to get appropriate glasses. While the info was all over the place as to standard pour and glass size, one source whom I've always respected is Daniel Rogov, he suggested a 3 oz pour into a 4 1/2 oz glass. Problem is...I can't find any 4 1/2 glasses. They all seem to be closer to 8 oz.  Any thoughts?

I may be wrong, but I assume you mean for personal use, not for the restaurant.  Here are the port glasses that I favor:

PortGlasses01272015.jpg

The left is Baccarat Sully, the right is Comtesse De Paris.  These are about 4 1/2 ounces.

Please excuse that they are not filled with port at the moment, but I'm drinking margaritas.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I use the Riedel Vinum port glass for fortified wines and sweet Rieslings. I like (repeated) small pours and I think the shape is important so you can give it a swirl--while they look quite nice, I'd worry a bit about slopping the drink out with the open-sided glasses Jo's posted above. Maybe I'm just too aggressive in my swirl.

http://www.riedel.com/collections/glass-collections/d/vinum/port/

By my estimate a 3 oz pour for a port or similar wine is massive.

• Like 1