• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

Looks good. What all do you put in it?

Wholegrain rolled oats, toasted with honey, olive oil and a touch of cinnamon. Then it’s just a matter of tossing in what ever I feel like. That one was raisins, dried apricots, coconut threads, roasted almonds, hazelnuts, brazil nuts and macadamias, pumpkin seeds and a couple of handfuls of cornflakes. I’ve done one with dried apple and lots of cinnamon which was pretty epic. 

I like to whizz it up in a food processor quickly to chop it all up nice and fine and make sure all the fruit and nuts are distributed. Otherwise my kids steal most of the fruit and nuts and I’m left with oats for breakfast.

• Like 1

Breakfast started out with a healthy glass of Hibiscus Tea and the daily paper. (Actually, it's yesterday's.)

hd.jpg

Having got all that healthiness over and done with a nice piece of baguette stuffed full of crisp fried bacon. And a glance at the food pages while thinking about lunch.

bb1.jpg

bb2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

liuzhou - I like seeing your local paper along with that nice breakfast and love your new avatar!

Ann_T - The food you prepare and the photographs you make are equally gorgeous to look at.  Your homemade, crusty breads in particular make me want to reach through the screen and steal a bite!

I used the leftover cilantro lime sweet potatoes from yesterday's lunch and some roasted corn kernels from the freezer to make some little fritters for breakfast.  

IMG_2235.jpg

Served with a little peach-jalapeño jam and a scoop of ricotta on the right and a taste of lime-ginger marmalade on the left.  

Would have been good with some guacamole and sour cream, too, but I didn't have any!

• Like 9

Dutch baby 2.JPG

Dutch baby folded around peach butter and ricotta cheese. Would have been better with a stronger-flavored cheese, and I added a tablespoon of sugar to the batter that it didn't need. Still good.

With a large cup of French press coffee, this went a long way to offset the third grey, rainy day in a row.

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

one of the great joys of After Thanksgiving is the left-over stuffing you can use for breakfast :

Eggs Stuffubg.jpg

microwaved stuffing with two eggs.   this is a bit better w water poached eggs, but pan fried are also nice and much easier.

No money shot.  I like the yolks whole dans le Mouth.

this stuffing was actually a second tray I made :

Suffing II.jpg

I keep forgetting that you can make stuffing any time w/o a bird via a tray.  this tray just fits in the BVXL  it has a couple of

generic bacon stips on top as i had some left over after 'roasting' the second breast wrapped in bacon in the CSB

Steam makes ones life much easier

just figure out a source of 'stock'   I use minors low salt turkey.  they sell it but it comes from a different vendor.

don't forget to fully season the stock   I use Bell's  ( a fair amount )

and if you add fruit  ( in this case apples )  those apples will come out on th crunchy side compared to In the Bird

unless you remember to microwave the chopped apples just before you add them to the Mix.  its up to you.

these apples were OK, would have been a bit nicer and more traditional micro'd a bit first.  I forgot.

there are also dried cranberries, toasted pecans, Jones sausage ( tube ) and stock made out of the bird.

its Pepperidge Farm corn-bread stuffing as a starting point.

soon Ill post more about the two turkey breasts I 'roasted '  i.e. FancyBaked.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 8

That baguette sandwich looks very tasty, Liamsaunt!  

Ham, egg and cheese breakfast sandwich:

IMG_2254.jpg

The cheese is the Trappist Vieux Chimay from Belgium that was TJ's spotlight cheese last month - very melty-making, Black Forest ham, farmers' market egg on an onion poppy seed ciabatta roll from the day-old shelf at Walmart  :rolleyes: !

• Like 7

Liuzhou, doesn't look like an accident to me.  I would be very happy with your breakfast.

Couple recent breakfasts I made for Moe.

Poached%20Eggs%20December%208th%2C%20201

Poached Eggs

Roast%20Beef%20and%20Scrambled%20Egg%20D

Roasted a  Strip Loin and made Moe one of his favourite breakfasts.  Roast Beef, gravy and scrambled eggs. 

Chilaquiles%20Breakfast%20December%207th

Chilaquiles.

• Like 9

Today's breakfast, delivered by TWO of my recent eG-facilated investments:  Leftover pumpkin pancakes, frozen and reheated in the Cuisi-steam oven and the star of the show (unfortunately, in the back and out of focus in my photo) is the warm, chunky applesauce with raisins made in the Instant-Pot this morning.  A scoop of ricotta on the side and just a little drizzle of maple syrup.

IMG_2291.jpg.be790be217bdda7946f09ce158d

10 min on steam-bake at 300 deg F made the leftovers almost as good as new!  

• Like 6