• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

Breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_156913.jpg

Sausage and fried eggs on toast.  The little blue bowl contains some fig syrup from making candied figs.  Delicious with the sausage.  The sausage is Jimmy Dean’s Fully Cooked refrigerated breakfast sausage.  It won a taste test on Cook’s Illustrated awhile back and I have to agree that it is better than any national brand I’ve ever tasted.  I heat it up in a pan to get a bit of a crust, but I prefer it to all the raw stuff I’ve bought.   Nice surprise to find out that something convenient is also good!

• Like 6

Nothing wrong with your egg, hummingbirdkiss, I always thought that eggs should have a crispy frill.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Nothing wrong with your egg, hummingbirdkiss, I always thought that eggs should have a crispy frill.

thanks! 

I worked at a truck stop when I was in college that is where I  learned oh so very much in this world ..but most of all how to make eggs 3 ways ..chopped scrambled ….you guys know what I mean they are horrifying to many ..but loved by many as well they are chopped and scrambled chopped and scrambled usually with bacon grease and I love them with toast always overcooked…second way was over-well-done ..not over easy never over easy if they wanted the egg flipped it was cooked to death …and sunny side up ..that is the egg I made with crispy frills!

yes I baste with the whites with whatever  grease is in the pan a few times to get the bubbles and crisp  around the edges ..I like the yolk really raw however so I try to not baste it at all 

husband had a double yolk duck egg on his enchilada he cooked his own

eggs really are perfect food 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

20870617253_ce7bd093a7.jpg

green smoothie with a handful of whatever I could grab "green" from the garden frozen figs, a duck egg ..a  few dates and almonds …that a gallon of really nice coffee …and  a lidocaine patch …I am good to go for another round of heavy labor …chip chip chip off come the disgustingly ugly tiles ..dreaming of the new ones I have  yet to find 

• Like 2

Piglet 

hummingbirdkiss, the green smoothie is a good choice to fuel your work day but I was sure you'd be having jook with an egg on it for breakfast!  I know others have mentioned this but please do think about starting a thread to share your kitchen remodel.  I've really enjoyed it when others have done the same.  

I had an early AM dentist appointment, followed by errands that included a stop at Trader Joe's  where I picked up a box of frozen pumpkin waffles.  

I tarted one of them up à la rotuts for a late morning breakfast treat: 

pumpwaffle.jpg

Pumpkin waffle topped with goat cheese, fig butter (warmed and thinned with a few drops of rum) and walnuts.  All from TJ's.  Plus coffee and some grapes.  

• Like 5

I want to show but it is still  such a mess! it is a tiny galley kitchen with 70's oak cabinets (they are mostly off in line to be primed and painted in shifts  and while it is small it is really a functional shape I like to cook in … what can I show yet ..my friends want me to show them too but what ?  the tiles ripped off the walls looks pretty gross right now there is nothing but a huge mess and a lot of hope!  

I will try to make myself find something cool to share about this disaster ..my solar tube/light combo looks like a crappy canned light when I take a photo so that is not very cool yet 

I really want a waffle now!!! 

Piglet 

Coffee (out of frame), and this:

Andreakage 2015-09-25_08.26.16.png

That's an 'Andreakage'. I couldn't recall seeing one of these before, although I must have done, at some point: the 'Kajkage' is a longstanding tradition (and not just in Denmark, although here, they represent Kaj and Andrea, characters from a popular chidren's programme). Anyway, the mild novelty of it meant I definitely needed to eat this thing, after which I left the bake shop slightly lightheaded, and happy-queasy :smile:

• Like 2

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Coffee (out of frame), and this:

attachicon.gifAndreakage 2015-09-25_08.26.16.png

That's an 'Andreakage'. I couldn't recall seeing one of these before, although I must have done, at some point: the 'Kajkage' is a longstanding tradition (and not just in Denmark, although here, they represent Kaj and Andrea, characters from a popular chidren's programme). Anyway, the mild novelty of it meant I definitely needed to eat this thing, after which I left the bake shop slightly lightheaded, and happy-queasy :smile:

Even the picture makes me feel slightly lightheaded. I'd have had to eat one too, and stagger out with you. :smile: What was the interior like, and how did it all taste?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

. . . What was the interior like, and how did it all taste?

I'd intended to spare everyone the sight, although I did take a shot of the interior, which looked like this:

IMG_4060.jpg

It tasted sugary, strawberry-adjacent and crazy unmodified sweet with a hint of synthetic red, and had that mouthfeel that makes you think, 'Mmmm...Crisco'. The overarching effect was, 'My teeth itch, and now feel vaguely Simonized' :wink:

• Like 8

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Welcome to eGullet, simon ben. What do you do with the olive oil? What seasonings, if any, do you include?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

my favorite Fall breakfast on a paper plate ..the home made kimchi is READY!!!   diakon radish and napa represented here with a fresh egg and scoop of rice coffee coffee and posting late because I am eating it again 

autumn bliss 

post it one time then eat it ten times :) life is good. 

21848057395_350b44b1fa.jpg

21659819850_2541f4a4e6.jpg

(I cannot believe I made rice in an automatic pot and it turned out! thanks to the Instant pot thread for the help! LIfe with out rice is not an easy one and I had no place to cook it but this pot  ) 

• Like 5

Piglet 

• 2 weeks later...

21850474438_64aa155ae8.jpg

LOL and one plate one ratty coffee mug ..everything else is packed and out of the kitchen 

bulla coffee and a hunk of sharp cheddar cheese (this is actually my favorite hiking snack) …I am taking a break from eggs today ..I love bulla if you have not made it it is great for breakfast as well as lunch or a trail food …this one is made from spelt and kind of like a fruity gingerbread ..but I make chocolate and banana bulla as well ..in fact I have some over ripe bananas waiting to be used ..again still baking on the grill ..what will I do when I finally have an oven? 

• Like 1

Piglet 

21850474438_64aa155ae8.jpg

LOL and one plate one ratty coffee mug ..everything else is packed and out of the kitchen 

bulla coffee and a hunk of sharp cheddar cheese (this is actually my favorite hiking snack) …I am taking a break from eggs today ..I love bulla if you have not made it it is great for breakfast as well as lunch or a trail food …this one is made from spelt and kind of like a fruity gingerbread ..but I make chocolate and banana bulla as well ..in fact I have some over ripe bananas waiting to be used ..again still baking on the grill ..what will I do when I finally have an oven? 

You've compelled me to google bulla. I may have to try this. 

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Beans on toast:

beansontoast.jpg

Toasted whole grain bread, smashed Rancho Gordo cranberry beans topped with Trader Joe's roasted red pepper and artichoke tapenade.  A little peccorino romano to go with.  Beans were cooked with garlic, bay leaf and de arbor chiles so they are tasty.  

• Like 4

22173080258_f4d71820b9.jpg

this may look like poorly made cinnamon toast. 

is Korean milk bread  and the "toast is a bit stale  and dried out with the pieces together so the butter melts in the middle and it is dry grilled.…because that is how I roll …I used my friends butter from Port Orchard… fresh ground cinnamon and vanilla sugar 

so really while my struggle is real..and trust me ..right now ..the struggle is wearing on my last nerve ..and the pig ..it is REAL ……and I just had to hire a pig sitter to come stay with him so we can both leave the house for more a few hours and not destroy the neighbors treasured gardens …

so my toast is being posted…it is tasty and so is the coffee ..Ethiopia Guji Zone Akrabi …roasted deep and dark Olympia Washington style …the roaster keeps shorting out what is left of the kitchen power supply ..we will have lots of outlets and switches but I have not seen a counter yet??????

not bitching 

so toast coffee and hopefully others are eating better today :) I will eat eggs later. once the world settles and I make a path

and oh my freaking goodness it is so real today I am posting toast on EG 

• Like 3

Piglet 

Nothing wrong with cinnamon toast and coffee, hummingbirdkiss! When we were little, my younger brother used to request "sparkly, buttery, cinnamon-y toast" for his breakfast. The sparkly part meant he wanted lots of butter, but all melted, no bits of cold yellow butter remaining. Sounds like your method has that covered.

I had a slightly overcooked poached egg in a nest of Zuni Cafe cookbook boiled kale, some roasted sweet potatoes and a little toast on the side:

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Wow! Some amazing images here - I particularly like your breakfast flatbread blue_dolphin.

A bit of a naughty breakfast for me this morning. Perhaps unspectacular to many, but American hash browns are a recent discovery for our family, a world apart from their triangular, mushy potato cousins of the same name in the UK. 

Since our return from the US last Christmas I have been on a mission to find the best method of cooking these and have found that the trick appears to be to wash the grated potato then squeeze the bejeebers out of them using a clean tea-towel until they're completely dry. Fried in a bit of rapeseed oil with a good sprinkling of salt and I'm getting close to my idea of perfection. They're not quite as golden as I would like but I think my aversion to cooking cooking oil might be to blame...any tips always welcome :-)

IMG_4289.jpg

Edited by Phill Bernier (log)
  • Like 8