• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

Tasty looking, W

are you sure that egg-thing-y  is not 'shaped scrabbled eggs ?'

just clarifying a bit.  and toast w seeds !  Lycopenes  !   looks like you're set for a bit.

Yum

LOL - it's a tri-folded omelet!  But, the pan was just a tad hot.

And that's 2 different breads. One is a 100% rye, from Grindstone. The other, Pain D'Avignon, seven-grain.

The tomato - Campari!

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

now that's innovative breakfast thinking :  two different types of toast at once !

next up might be the 'two-bread' sandwich, for lunch !

this opens up a brand-new dimension in Eating.

congratulations !  The Times will be calling soon.

image.jpg

Homemade flour tortilla brushed with olive oil, dusted with Parmesan and topped with mini peppers then stuck under the broiler for a little too long! I draped tiny slivers of my precious Iberico ham over the hot "pizza" before devouring it.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

334b2060-9a74-4ed4-82a5-28dc0edfafb4_zps

When my daughter was born some of my American friends made a PDF of fun and interesting  "kids" foods. This is a recipe from the PDF  called Ultimate American oatmeal,  I dont know why the name  nor where my friend got it from but my daughter liked it.  She likes her  oatmeal in the morning, dry, cooked and with different  toppings.  So this was a treat,   oatmeal with pancake syrup ( used ljus syrup), chocolate button ( I had a few left from her birthday)  and  peanut butter  ( also a left over) .   After she had this she looked her dad and said , tomorrow  cloud berries no chocolate.  I have a sane kid.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

Laughing Cow cheese on Wasa crackers with campari tomatoes and chives.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Im a bit confused on the Tomat's

these are sold loose by name ?

all I can get are "on the vine"  a green house tomato from of all places Maine

not so bad if carefully selected and aged w and apple in a brown bag.

Im a bit confused on the Tomat's

these are sold loose by name ?

all I can get are "on the vine"  a green house tomato from of all places Maine

not so bad if carefully selected and aged w and apple in a brown bag.

image.jpg
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

I made my wife Jo blueberry pancakes for mother’s day. It may be naughty to say so, but these actually were the best american style pancakes I’ve eaten. Off the chart delicious. Made a quick blueberry compote and served with warm maple syrup and butter. 

The boys helped me make the batter and then they set the table. Maybe next year they will graduate to doing the whole thing

11209726_689786281167879_676230117615010

• Like 9

image.jpg

Danish blue on Wasa topped with lightly toasted and chopped walnuts and a few olives on the side.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

those Campari toms are prettty decent for hothouse...  Grown just outside of Leamington,  self proclaimed Tomato capital of Canada. 

• Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

image.jpg

After making what seemed like acres of cabbage rolls before 8 AM I was ready for a little substance. This is roasted asparagus topped with two poached eggs.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday, I got ambitious and browned up a pound of sausage, mixed it with six scrambled eggs and four ounces of grated cheese to use to fill eight hand pies from yeast dough I had reposing in the fridge. I had about twice as much filling as I needed, so I used the rest to make a dozen breakfast muffins. I'm fixed for breakfast for a while!

Finished product:

bkfst pie, done.jpg

In progress:

bkfst pie, in progress.jpg

Baked. Forgot to brush with milk, so the floury tops aren't too attractive.

bkfst pies, baked.jpg

Muffins:

muffins.jpg

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Somewhere in this house are egg cups. They are extremely attractive stainless steel Danish-designed eggcups sent to us by my brother-in-law in Copenhagen many years ago. One day I shall find them again. In the meantime thank goodness for multi use specimen bottles.

image.jpg

Boiled eggs with roated asparagus "soldiers".

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

"multi-use specimen bottles"

as in re-used?

Yep. They held spices before they held eggs!
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Scrambled eggs with spinach and Parmesan cheese.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N,

That spinach and scrambled egg breakfast looks good!

I used to eat poke salad fixed like that in the traditional Louisiana way before discovering that poke salad can be poisonous if the leaves are allowed to mature too much. Who knows how much is too much? The berries always are poisonous.

Since that time, it's been spinach all the way, but I still call it poke salad when served. I usually add either sauteed garlic or onion and mix it up on the cheeses. It's a delicious, economical and very nutritious dish that I've loved for a long time, and eat at any time of the day.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

image.jpg

So I was gifted with some caramelized onion and bacon pate which made a perfect breakfast when spread on some Wasa crackers.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Nice breakfast Anna N.

Nobody could accuse you of getting into a rut with your breakfast foods, for sure.

Is that aspic cubes on top?

Thanks. Yes, it had a thick layer of aspic which I diced as a topping.

Edited because I should never post before my second coffee.

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Gran often said, "A bit of what you fancy...". As in so many things she was right! Marinated artchoke hearts and black olives.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog