• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2015

Anna N

Host's note: this topic is continued from Breakfast! 2014.

image.jpg

Inspired by what was in my fridge. Some spiralized zucchini and sweet potatoes and leftover steak. I quickly sautéed the vegetables tossed in the cut-up steak and seasoned all with togarishi and a little drizzle of toasted sesame oil.

Edited by Smithy (log)
  • Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Organizing some photos and came across this one from a brunch I did back last fall. The recipe comes from the Serious Eats blog, and involves making latkes, sauteeing pastrami long enough just to heat it up, stacking a couple of latkes, some pastrami, a poached egg (I fried mine), and dousing the entire thing in Hollandaise sauce.

It's wonderful. It's also about a million calories and a ton and a half of cholesterol, and it's really hard to eat more than half a serving because it's so rich.

Moderately complex preparation, but a fairly impressive Wow factor for brunch, especially if you have big eaters on hand.

latkes-benedict.jpg

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

Not really breakfast though I did eat some of the toast and some of the eggs and called it so, this was really an experiment. "Poaching" eggs for a crowd in a muffin tin is not something I am likely to do but it occurred to me that when one is stuck with aging supermarket eggs then it might be a fine idea to avoid the whispery whites. Obviously 11 minutes at 350°F was a little too long but this has enough potential that I may well try it again.

image.jpg

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Sort of made this accidentally.  People arriving for the morning shift of baby holding.. 

7 eggs, some dijon, some milk, salt and pepper thrown in with spinach cooking with garlic.  

15789335534_1156ff57f8_c.jpg

A frittata flower... 

16225895137_9087c2cef2_c.jpg

16224400580_e14675a8cf_c.jpg

Homefries

16225891427_1189123746_c.jpg

• Like 12

image.jpg

Toasted home made bread with garlic herb cream cheese and sautéed portobellos.

image.jpg

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Chicken karaage. Because I can.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd never heard of chicken karaage before, Anna. Now that I've seen your photo and looked it up, I think I'll have to try it.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I'd never heard of chicken karaage before, Anna. Now that I've seen your photo and looked it up, I think I'll have to try it.

Watch the chef from Cooking with Dog on YouTube if you can. I am guessing perhaps not while you're glamping. And before anyone gets bent out of shape it's cooking with dog not cooking dog. The host is a charming poodle.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Watch the chef from Cooking with Dog on YouTube if you can. I am guessing perhaps not while you're glamping. And before anyone gets bent out of shape it's cooking with dog not cooking dog. The host is a charming poodle.

Airedales are better to cook with.

• Like 2

Had some friends over to see the baby, yesterday..  What started as two friends from Philly coming to visit, ended in 12 people coming through out the day..  

First meal of the day was steak and eggs with hash browns, a beautiful rye toast and bacon... 

My mother had purchased a lot of meat for me at the local butcher.. One thing she got was flap steak.  i have not really prepared it too often but, it was a beautiful collection of meat.. 

Started with a coffee rub as, it was breakfast.  

Salt, peppercorns and coffee beans. 

16464587672_8e02acd4e2_c.jpg

served medium rare

16463785611_48b9affb34_c.jpg

Bacon and rosemary hashbrowns

15843021674_d6fd577993_c.jpg

eggs fried in bacon fat. 

16277839858_a5c55245be_c.jpg

as other people started to arrive, i just started baking bacon and making pancakes for them.. and the flan from the other night. 

Edited by BKEats (log)
  • Like 9

so, the night before, when i was baking the potatoes for the follow day's hash browns, i was playing around with making a potato plate.. I thought it would be interesting to serve the eggs, the sliced steak, i roasted tomatoes and like a bernaise sauce all on top of the potato plate.   but, it didn't happen.. but, it want to eventually do something like that. 

16446337126_e346cdc0c2_c.jpg

i overcooked it just all bit but, it was still really good.. still like the idea. 

• Like 7

Anybody remember this?

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/122070-klatsch-a-week-without-shopping/

(Rest in peace, Steven.)

Well as I struggled to close my overstuffed freezer drawer, I was reminded of this. I have yet to fully commit to it but I did sort out the freezer drawer and discovered one lonely serving of cabbage rolls. That is how this morning's breakfast came about.

image.jpg

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

A facebook friend posted "egg white nests", so I tried some today. They remind me of the egg white "buns" I used to make on the Dr. Atkins diet, except today's didn't have cream of tartar powder. 

I need to make a deeper and bigger well in the middle before I bake the nests, but they were good.

Egg white nest with yolk

EggYolkNest2333.jpg

Mixed up some cooked bacon and sweet and serrano peppers for hubby's

OmeletNest2334.jpg

As we are trying to cut back on starches such as bread, potato, and rice, I'll be making more of the "buns" for lunch tomorrow!

• Like 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Unusually for me, I felt like breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_52708.jpg

The sausage is Jimmy Dean fully cooked patties.  CI rated them as the best – over any of the uncooked tubes, but only if you pan-fry them – no microwaving.  I had a coupon and decided to give them a try.  They are very good, better than any national brand I’ve ever tasted.  But pretty expensive.  Without a coupon, I think I’ll stick to the tubes.  

• Like 4