• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saffron Pork Chops

Soul_Venom

I recently took delivery of 2 grams of fine Spanish Saffron but I've never cooked with saffron before. After researching all the ways it is used I've come up with a rough plan for my first attempt. I have a 4qt crockpot. I will be using 4 large pork chops. The pork chops will be fried in olive oil on low heat with light application of salt and pepper before hand. Once the chops are prepped they will be embedding in a mix of white rice, chicken broth & butter. Based on my research I know I need to soak the saffron in hot water at least 2 hours before adding it to the recipe. I have several questions, answer as though you were cooking this for yourself.

How much rice would you recommend?

Should I cold soak the rice before hand & if so for how long?

How much broth is required for the recommended amount of rice & does it need to be mixed with water?

How much saffron should be used.

Should I grind the saffron up before adding it?

How much butter would you recommend?

Are there any other spices/seasonings that I should consider adding to the mix?

At what temp would you cook the mix and for how long?

I reread some of the site were I did my research and the indeed the 2 hr soak was recommended ONLY for whole threads. Thank you for pointing this out to me. Based on further reading I now realize that if I purchase a mortar & pestle & grind the threads beforehand only a 20-30 minute soak is required.  I believe I can avoid drying out the pork chops by burying them under the rice and by browning them beforehand to seal the flavor in the meat. I posted this same query on other sites as well as calling various people I know with culinary know-how and this is how the recipe is filling out so far.

4 Pork Chops lightly browned

6 cups white rice

9 cups chicken broth

3 cups water

3 tbsp. butter

How many saffron threads should be ground up?

Are there any other spices/seasonings that I should consider adding to the mix?

At what temp would you cook the mix and for how long?

Instead of soaking in water, soak in white wine of vodka instead. The alcohol will help pull out more of the saffron colours and flavors. I put whole saffron threads in a bowl with enough alcohol to cover, put it in the microwave for 30 seconds at the start of prep and then leave it to stand in the microwave until I'm ready for it in the dish.

PS: I am a guy.

I second cooking the chops separately. You're just going to boil them with the rice, no matter if they are under it or over it, and a lot of flavor will wind up going to the rice -searing doesn't seal anything in, that's an old myth. And boiling them for 20-30 minutes, which is what that large amount of rice will require,  will overcook them and make them dry. Being submerged in water doesn't keep meat from becoming dry.

Since you've never tasted it, I would just make a one cup batch of rice so you get an idea of the flavor.

And, 6 cups of rice is a huge amount, especially with only 4 chops. Remember dry rice will double or triple in size when cooked.

Your recipes are also completely lacking any salt.

A recipe for sauteed chicken over saffron rice--close to what you're looking for, I think. Use the ingredient amts, cooking methods, and cooking times of this recipe as guidelines. Or--my suggestion--cook this recipe as is, and once you've set a baseline for yourself, adjust and play with variations on this theme.

http://www.tasteslovely.com/crispy-chicken-and-saffron-rice-skillet/

Edited by djyee100 (log)

Really, you need to learn and understand how to make rice first. A cup of (raw) rice is generally enough for 2-3 people.  It might sound like we're being snarky or whatever, but using a spice like saffron really should come after you understand some other basics of cooking.

• Like 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I will of course add salt to taste. I have also decided to make 6 chops since that's what came in the package I picked up. It's a little over 4lb of chops so it should be enough. Since the flavor can not be sealed in through browning I will wait to add the chops till the rice is nearly cooked through. That way I still get the benefit of adding the chop flavor to the rice and the saffron flavor to the chops. I tend to cook in bulk, freezing portions for later meals at work. This is another reason why so much rice. djyee100, you link is very helpful, thank you. Shalmanese, thank you as well. Since alcohol is more effective in extracting the flavor smaller amounts of liquid would be required to soak the saffron. I shall use a teaspoon of heated everclear.  Does anyone else have helpful suggestions concerning what I could possibly add to the recipe? When building my spice cupboard I basically went to the grocery store and grabbed one of everything off the spice rack so there are many options.

Yeah, I would just serve the chops over the rice and cook them separately. You're already using stock and saffron to flavor the rice so it should have a good enough flavor without having another meat added to it; any flavor you get from the chops will be minimal and you will run the risk of overcooking them and you'll ruin whatever crust they had. And like Mitch suggested, I doubt the pork will pick up any saffron flavor. I'd much prefer to be served a pile of saffron rice with a freshly grilled/fried chop on top than a pile of rice that's been simmered with the pork. The flavor will be cleaner and the pork will be better prepared.

Does anyone else have helpful suggestions concerning what I could possibly add to the recipe? ...

Try adding thyme, rosemary, and/or oregano for a Mediterranean influence (think paella or bouillabaisse, two classic dishes with saffron). A few pinches of Spanish pimenton/paprika would be nice; or a little cayenne or red pepper flakes for heat. On the Middle Eastern/Indian side of saffron, you could add a little cumin, cardamom, coriander, and/or ginger. Also a tiny pinch of cinnamon, if you like cinnamon. Easy on the cinnamon--a little goes a long way.