• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dim Sum in the Heartland – What's Good?

Naftal

Hello- I have had good dim sum in SE Michigan (Shangri-La) and in Chicago (Cai). But I know there are other amazing places, too.  So... Where do you go for really good dim sum?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Try OKC

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 1 month later...

The Twin Cities of Minnesota have at least 3 places I know of for dim sum, but the best I have had by far is Yangtze restaurant in St. Louis Park (on the west side of Minneapolis). It is a little hard to find. Use a GPS if you have it. It is located in a strip mall at the end of a dead end road. They only have it on weekends from 10 am to 2 pm. They have the carts that they push through the dining area and you choose from what they have. Sometimes you have to wait to get the dish you want, but just ask the lady and she will come by the next time they put it on her cart. Their phoenix talons (chicken feet) are cooked perfectly and the sauce is good. I also recommend the bbq pork buns, doufu hua with ginger syrup, pork riblets with a black bean sauce, luo bo gao (steamed, then sliced and pan fried daikon cake), the steamed shrimp dumplings and the ones with shrimp mixed with pork. Really you can try almost everything and you won't be disappointed. The only dish I didn't care for was one made of tripe. It had a little too much flavor if you know what I mean. I have had tripe before, but it wasn't quite so pungent. Also be prepared for the fact that some of the beef and pork dishes might be a little chewy to typical American preferences and have some bone, fat and gristle. Most Chinese like to work for their meat and don't mind bones and cartilage (my wife calls cartilage crispy bone, and enjoys eating it). The ladies who push the carts are very friendly and helpful (maybe it helped that I was there with my Chinese wife and her parents, and I spoke a tiny bit of Chinese. I even was complimented for eating that kind of food and for my chopstick skills). The prices are reasonable for what you get I feel. We paid around $80 for 4 adults once all the dishes were added up. I am a big eater and I was stuffed and we had a few leftovers to take home. They get a lot of Chinese customers (which is a good sign to me), but we never have had trouble getting a table. It is a lot bigger inside than the outside appearance indicates. Give it a try if you ever get to the Minneapolis area.

• Like 1

Although I haven't been, have friends that have told me Kansas City has a couple of places with very good dim sum. You might check that out.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 9 months later...

MartinW- Phoenix talons are one of my favorite dishes!

Vivian darkblood-The har gow at Cai is listed  as Super Har Gow and the description reads "Jumbo Shrimp Dumpling". Perhaps it is just a regional thing. I hope ,one day, to try the dim sum on the West Coast, I envy those who have!  And, I love siu mai.

• Like 1

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

• 8 months later...

Wei Wei Palace (if Naftal should ever detour through GR on his way to or from Chicago). Here's their dim sum menu.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 months later...
On 1/27/2015 at 7:32 AM, cyalexa said:
On 1/26/2015 at 1:17 AM, joiei said:

Try OKC

Hi cyalexa  I need to start reading eG more frequently.   For Asian in OKC my preference is for the Golden Phoenix on N Classen.  Amazing food.  I will gladly meet you there on a Sunday.  And I have a friend and dining companion who will be very upset with me if she finds out I went and didn't take her.  I am free pretty much any time.  

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!