• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef America (Part 3)

gfweb

They tied in the "taste" category so I'm not sure there was a conspiracy. I did think that Mario and Emerill just did what Mario and Emerill always do - same for Flay. I thought Comerford actually brought something new and interesting to the show. Glad somebody put that recipe on here because I was going to go search for that too. Looked awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

In theory the chefs were cooking produce from the White House Garden. In one shot on the show I noticed a red rubber band around the broccoli. Figured the broccoli, at least, was store bought. Alas, I did not "connect the dots."

Kevin Pang of the Chicago Tribune wrote Food Network admits 'Iron Chef America' vegetables were not from White House garden

Though the episode opened with the chefs harvesting their produce from the White House Garden, it would not be fresh if saved for the actual competition. Rather than fly up another batch from the White House, the producers elected to pop out to a local market.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 8 months later...

Surprised I had to dig so far down to find this thread. Iron Chef this season has been blah. Garces was a virtual no show. The next season should just replace him entirely. I just watched Battle Mahi Mahi. Garces was schooled by the competors. Garces goes first and his biggest piece of mahi mahi, the judges all say it tastes the least of the fish -- and mahimahi is already super bland. Every dish is Mexican inspired, in his comfort zone. The competitors' first dish, a slice of belly sashimi, the judges said said it was the first time all night they actually tasted the fish. And then each following dish, the judges said, "wow, this dish is better than the last."

I really hope next season is better. They need a chef really up at the Batali, Morimoto level, not just some last one standing.

• 4 years later...

It was a cold, wet, stormy afternoon, and I stayed home and watched a few episodes of Iron Chef America on Hulu - found the shows quite by accident.  However, there were only about six episodes available for viewing, and I'd like to see some more.  Does anyone know if these shows are available on line, and, if so, where they may be found?

Also, are any Iron Chef recipes available on line?

Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel