• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef America (Part 2)

banco

As a pre-FN Iron Chef fan, I find the "not so foodie" judges remind me very much of the vacant actresses and singers that appeared as judges on the the original version.

I miss the old FN too, but I really don't like the tone of the OP that makes it seem like the old FN was for serious food professionals.

I'm just a housewife, but since I was a preteen, I'd sit in front of the TV on weekends watching cooking shows on PBS... it was a "mother/daughter" moment for Mom and I. We still both read cookbooks the way some women read fashion magazines or celebrity rags.

Since when did foodie = food snob?

There are FN shows that I think are appealing. I still love Good Eats, still enjoy Essence of Emeril. I like Everyday Italian, and occasionally watch 30 Minute Meals and Paula's Home Cooking. Ok... and I'll own up to liking "Diners, Drive-In's and Dives"

I skip the crap like The Next Iron Chef, The Next Food Network Star, and most of the challenge shows. I don't watch much reality TV at all...

Cheryl

anyone notice that the sous chef the Rathbun Brothers brought along was Tre from last season's Top Chef???

A friend of mine tipped me off to that. Tre was the chef de cuisine at one of Kent Rathbun's restaurants in Dallas.

Yeah Abacus. I checked out their website right after Tre made his untimely departure. I was really rooting for him.

anyone notice that the sous chef the Rathbun Brothers brought along was Tre from last season's Top Chef???

A friend of mine tipped me off to that. Tre was the chef de cuisine at one of Kent Rathbun's restaurants in Dallas.

Yeah Abacus. I checked out their website right after Tre made his untimely departure. I was really rooting for him.

Maybe slightly unfortuneate for those of in Dallas who were fans of his work at Abacus, but I feel it's going to work out well for Tre. I dined at Abacus twice last year, both times at the chef's table. Tre was running the kitchen both times. On the most recent visit, back in mid-November, he stopped by and said hello. Nice guy. I wish him well, and am looking forward to his next restaurant gig in Dallas.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Maybe slightly unfortuneate for those of in Dallas who were fans of his work at Abacus, but I feel it's going to work out well for Tre. I dined at Abacus twice last year, both times at the chef's table. Tre was running the kitchen both times. On the most recent visit, back in mid-November, he stopped by and said hello. Nice guy. I wish him well, and am looking forward to his next restaurant gig in Dallas.

ALRIGHT, Tre! I was rooting for him, too.

Do you know where he went?

Do you know where he went?

right now, he is basically "cashing in" on his fame. He has being doing some cooking demos/classes for a local grocery store, and will be spending some of his time working as a private chef for private events.

Let me dry to dig up some more details on that from the food blog at the Dallas Morning News' website

Edit: http://eats.beloblog.com/archives/2007/12/tre_speaks.html

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Sooo... has anybody who downloads tv stuff seen the Stupak vs. Cora battle chocolate episode available to download anywhere? You can PM me the information to keep it from being part of the forum. I missed it and I want to see it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

How did battle ham come out? I could not stay awake. I wish they had not moved the show to 10 in my area. All to accomodate that Guy Fieri Mark Summer debacle.

Edited by Doodad (log)

That designer judge, what's his name, was a complete tool. Why was there all this build up with "The Next Iron Chef" if the only ones that do new shows are Flay and Cora.

I see Cora advertised and I think lame ingredient time. I also feel bad for the challenger who in most instances probably deserved someone of more substance to battle against.

I just really wish AB would stop with his shtick about "the Nephew", how rich he is, blah, blah,blah...We all know its fake and at this point the whole let's pretend aspect of it, makes it just one more thing that irritates me about the show.

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Cora won by 1 point, which didn't seem to reflect the judges comments.  She had at least two big negative remarks.

I suspect remarks, like other things, are edited for drama.

Blog.liedel.org

the thought of combining processed cheese food with chocolate had me gagging.

Yeah, there's just something rather unnatural about pairing Velveta and chocolate. I'm not sure if the problem was compounded by the addition of caramel, white chocolate and nuts or not. Call me a candy snob, I don't care how many bows you tie on it, or how much red sugar you stick it in, it was an unappealing mess I just didn't want to try. And, if you watched the judges they weren't to eager to try it either. I was, however, interested in trying Tyler's Gingerbread cakes and Robert's Cranberry Clafloutie.

I'll agree the thought of chocolate and cheese is a bit disgusting. But since Velveeta isn't really cheese I think its use had more to do with its chemical properties rather than anything else. I'm sure I've likely unknowingly eaten fudge made with Velveeta in it just from living in Texas for a year and the large proportion of back of the box trick home cooks that reside there.

I'd just as soon see Cat gone as well. How many times will we need to see different versions of the same damn recipes before they realize she's a 1 trick pony. I'm waiting for something like a Sea Urchin battle where she makes Sea Urchin mousakka or something equally as ugh.

Mark Ecko? We pretty much decided he was high. He scarked everythign down without even tasting it. I remember him judging before, though, and doing a relatively decent job. That's why I was convinced he'd smoked a bowl before goign on so he'd be super hungry.

BATTLE MUNCHIES!!!!

Coming to ICA, the amazing chefs will be forced to actually ccok and serve the winning recipies of the Ultimate Recipe Showdown.

Come watch Ted drool, Karim swoon and Jeffery tweak over this amazing collection of recipes.

After that we will all go to the flea Circus!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

BATTLE MUNCHIES!!!!

Coming to ICA, the amazing chefs will be forced to actually ccok and serve the winning recipies of the Ultimate Recipe Showdown.

Come watch Ted drool, Karim swoon and Jeffery tweak over this amazing collection of recipes.

After that we will all go to the flea Circus!

Oh, I see you're enjoying the Ultimate Recipe Showdown almost as much as I am (!!) [snark, snark]

[Moderator note: This topic continues here, Iron Chef America (Part 3)]

Edited by Mjx
Note added. (log)