• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef America (Part 2)

banco

From the Tennessean:

"Paula Deen Fills Time in the Kitchen with Laughs"

http://www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...7/1004/MTCN0303

Your colleagues Rachael Ray and Giada De Laurentiis took on the Food Network's most famous battle, Iron Chef America, fairly recently. Is that one you'd take on?

"I was asked, and I said no. But then they came back, and they asked me again. So I am going on the Iron Chef, but it's going to be a much lighter version. Tyler (Florence, fellow Food Network personality) and I are going up against Cat (Cora, Iron Chef). We're gonna be doing a cookie battle. But I tell you what, when it was me, myself and I (starting and running restaurants), I lived that Iron Chef life for real in a kitchen, trying to survive when it was only me in there cooking. And I don't care to go back there."

• 2 weeks later...

I can't watch ICA because there is no humor in it, no wink/nudge like the original.

IC is about the kitch as much as the competition. If that element was still there, you could laugh off this sort of thing.

I was very excited to watch this last night.  It was nice to see these chefs have lamb to work with..  It is so much more exciting then a fish or a vegetable to me.. I was dissapointed that there was no offal or head.. But thats ok..   The thing that really really disturbed me and actually ruined the entire show were the judges.. I turned it on late so I didnt get their intro's.. I thought for a while that the pretty blond was the singer Jewel, but then I figured Jewel would know more about food..

Normally, they use really bad judges, but last nights was beyond.. It reminded me of a bad episode of the View.. It was a bunch of yenta women sitting around discussing lots of different things, including food..   And please dont think I am being harsh.  These women knew nothing about food.. The first thing that shocked me was not one judge broke the yolk of their Quail Egg.. When Flay served his green eggs and lamb, the judges just tried the egg white of the quail egg and left the yolk undisturbed..  Next disturbing thing was when the women was grossed out by the raw lamb dish..  Another absolutely ridiculous comment was made by the same women who was grossed out .. "Wow, I like lamb, I mean I guess I like lamb"  As if she was just coming to the realization after trying lamb for the first time.. I think the woman in the middle called one of Burke's dishes "Sexy"..  

Anyone know who these women were? Or what their qaulifications were?  Its really upsetting to see these great Chefs stand there and listen to these morons evaluate there dishes..  If they have to use judges for political reasons, just have them come on and make comments.. But dont pretend this thing is a competition..Dont have a chef's reputation and creations be judge by these people...

Edited by LineDog (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been a long-time lurker here, but after watching tonight's new episode of Iron Chef America I simply had to write something...

I generally have mixed feelings about this show. It seems like the only show on the Food Network to show top-notch chefs doing sometimes-exciting cooking. But tonight's episode struck me as miles beyond anything I've ever seen before. Two outstanding chefs (Batali vs challenger Andrew Carmellini) with wheels of 2yr, 4yr and 6yr aged Parmiggiano. Nevermind the copious usage of white and black truffles (at one point, Alton Brown walked onto the floor of the set, lifted up a truffle and said "this may be the largest white truffle ever shown on television. probably $400... almost enough for a round trip to Italy!' I want to know what airline he flies, then?)

The judges seemed similarly ELATED.

So. My question: does anyone know where there's a list of what they make for each episode? And perhaps a guess at how they made it? There were several things I'd LOVE to try for myself, but I can't remember what they did anymore - just that it looked absolutely perfect.

Thanks,

-jf

To partly answer your questions (although the only really correct answer is to record the episodes):

www.gameshownewsnet.com/prime lists names of dishes and summarizes the action for episodes up to April 2007. Follow the links from the "archives" section. (There's no link for season 4, so you have to type in that address, i.e., the above followed by /icaseries4)

If you need a more recent episode and just the names of the dishes, somebody on the forum: www.thepaperpusher.net (in the "Weapons of Mass Distraction" forum) always seems to post this information. Look for posts titled "New Iron Chef America ep for [date of episode]"

My question is, if Carmellini couldn't do it, who's ever going to beat Batali on this show? He's won 9 in a row. If Fortunato Nicotra gets matched up against him, he'd have a shot, I guess.

With Andrew Carmellini being one of the most respected chefs out there I could not miss this one. It must be close to a year ago when I first heard of this battle and have been anticipating it ever since. I was not disappointed. Well... Maybe a little as I wished Carmellini would have won. :biggrin:

Robert R

Not only was the winning margin a single point, but the both scores were among the highest I've seen on ICA. It was 56 to 55 out of 60 possible points. Often one or both of the competitors will score in the 40's.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

This episode will air several more times this week, for those of you who want to take notes.  :biggrin:

I think I gained 10 pounds watching it the first time!

That was seriously good - just when I was about to give up all hope. Those crostini with lardo, truffles and Parm? OMG.

I was a little appalled at the use of an entire wheel as a bowl, but I probably would have felt better about it had I been invited to share. Mario is a man of large appetites, after all.

I was truly hoping for a tie - it seemed only right, given the level that they were both operating on.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Cannot wait to watch this episode! My trusty PVR recorded it for me, so it's waiting, and I'm hungry.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

The use of the parm wheel as a bowl can also be seen in a trattoria in Rome i've been to...i don't remember the name though! The bucatini that came out of it were excellent, and like mario, they first wet the wheel with alcohol and light it to melt a layer of cheese.

They obviously re-use the bowl at the restaurant after scraping it clean!

Hey, did anyone hear about Mario leaving the Food Channel. I don't think he's the one they are doing the "New Iron Chef" - I thought that was Maramoto.

Yes, he's gone; check the Paltrow/Batali thread on this same subfolder for the details. That makes this episode all the more bittersweet. It was a great one and brought to mind memories of the IC Japan shows. I came to the realization that it's rather disturbing what I'd be willing to do to have been on that tasting panel.

Watched the show last night. It was an awesome performance on both sides. Carmellini was great. His dishes may have been winners--I wish I had taste-0-vision--but what a disadvantage he was in following Mario. The judges were obviously worn out from the ecstasy.

This episode will air several more times this week, for those of you who want to take notes.   :biggrin:

I think I gained 10 pounds watching it the first time!

That was seriously good - just when I was about to give up all hope. Those crostini with lardo, truffles and Parm? OMG.

I was a little appalled at the use of an entire wheel as a bowl, but I probably would have felt better about it had I been invited to share. Mario is a man of large appetites, after all.

I was truly hoping for a tie - it seemed only right, given the level that they were both operating on.

Mario is a real trencherman who can cook!!! What a great battle!!!What a great subject--"the undisputed king of cheeses". If Mario is leaving it is because He wants too--Food Channel certainly isn't that stupid.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

The show was awesome! We always have an ongoing debate at work with my love of IC vs. their love of some less foodie type shows (no names mentioned). They want some of the boring real foodie shows off the air. That changed after this week's IC. After raving about it, two of the people in my office caught in reruns and were blown away. I will truly miss Mario on this channel. I have been watching him since the network started, learned much, and have been truly inspired by his skill and creativity. Say it ain't so!!!!

Hey, did anyone hear about Mario leaving the Food Channel. I don't think he's the one they are doing the "New Iron Chef" - I thought that was Maramoto.

Yes, he's gone; check the Paltrow/Batali thread on this same subfolder for the details. That makes this episode all the more bittersweet. It was a great one and brought to mind memories of the IC Japan shows. I came to the realization that it's rather disturbing what I'd be willing to do to have been on that tasting panel.

Mario says he is NOT leaving the Food Network. Stop believing the fish wrapper known as the NY Post.

Chicks dig wheelguns.

• 1 month later...

So, Michael's first battle as Iron Chef is this Sunday. It's being billed as a "Thanksgiving" battle. Is there really a "mystery" ingerdient??

Anybody have an idea on who the challenger will be? I really, really, hope it's NOT Besh, nor any other ICA contestant. How fun would it be if it was Ruhlman that took him on? (I know that's not going to be the case, but still....)

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

All I know is that Paula Deen and Cat Cora are teaming up against Robert Irvine and what's-his-name on ICA. What on earth is going on at the Food Network???

If I were Mario Batali, I'd be well on my way out The Network's back door.

All I know is that Paula Deen and Cat Cora are teaming up against Robert Irvine and what's-his-name on ICA. What on earth is going on at the Food Network???

It is basically a 2nd version, yet even more watered-down, of the Rachel v. Giada contest last year. I don't mind it, but I would like to see two ICs in it (as opposed to just Cora).

Paula is on, so just make it Battle Butter -- although the theme is dessert, so who knows if there is a real secret ingredient.

If I were Mario Batali, I'd be well on my way out The Network's back door.

Robert Irvine and Tyler Florence vs Cat Cora and Paula Deen according to TiVo.

I think Batali has been in Spain filming his PBS show with Gwyneth Paltrow.