• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef America (Part 2)

banco

Here is how I had my oppertunity to cut my finger on national TV! When FN was filming the Throwdown in Louisville, KY they used our kitchen as a prep area. After seeing some of the menu and the things we were preping they decided to make a reservation for 8 and had dinner. After talking with Chef's Todd Richard and Duane Nutter they went back to the network and said that they had to put them on. It was pure luck that they were using the kitchen and then the food talked for itself. We have still not heard a date that it will air. We are thinking it might be shown right before derby.

I really don't like the mixologist idea.

Nothing against mixologists(is that a new term for bartender?) but it just didn't seem to add anything.

Except alchohol.

However if they decide to have a show called Iron Mixologist I''ll volunteer to be a judge :raz:

Edited by KristiB50 (log)

I just saw that José Andrés will be facing off against Bobby Flay on Iron Chef America on April 1st. Jaleo, his restaurant in Crystal City, VA will be holding a viewing. I've got my reservations made. This should be a good one!

¡Fuerza Española!

Edited by Beto (log)

• 2 weeks later...

The Andres vs. Flay battle was one of the most entertaining and interesting I have seen on ICA. Both teams seemed to do extremely well with their product. The show was an interesting contrast in culinary styles with all of Flay's dishes riffs on traditional methods and Andres' all very creative employing much of the Vanguard arsenal.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

We went to the showing at Jaleo and had a great time. Prior to air time, a band played gypsy music (a la Gypsy Kings). At the bar, banquet tables were set up with Jamón Ibérico and the largest paella I’d ever laid my eyes upon. The pan must’ve been four feet in diameter and required two people to carry it! We sampled the paella, which was very good, and ordered tapas off of the menu. The show played on two giant screens and during commercial breaks, Chef Andrés kept the enthusiasm high. When the winner was announced, the place erupted. By the crowd’s reaction, you would’ve thought that we were at a world cup match. He gave the real credit of his win to the hard work and preparation of Katsuya Fukushima and Rubén García of Café Atlántico.

DC Central Kitchen, a charity which Chef Andrés generously supports, was the recipient of the proceeds of the night.

Of course, I had to get my copy of “Tapas in America” signed. :smile:

gallery_8379_4210_62149.jpg

Caught the Flay/Andres battle tonight and thought it was a good one with an interesting ingredient. To a certain extent the young and likely farm-raised goat they were using isn't bound to be all that assertive in flavor. It seemed like a relatively tough challenge in allowing the ingredient to really shine through.

Nice to see someone using modern techniques finally beat, actually demolish, the competition.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know who won the "battle" last night?

Is there a way to get the recipes seen on the show? Whar about a way to find a list of contestants and winners?

Thanks,

Shel

... Shel

I actually contact Food Network a while ago about the recipes and was told that they don't have them available and don't have any plans in the near term to make them available. :(

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

I actually contact Food Network a while ago about the recipes and was told that they don't have them available and don't have any plans in the near term to make them available.  :(

-Mark-

They also didn't make the recipes available for the original Iron Chef series either. I think part of the problem is that the chefs are improvising and really only have a general idea of which ingredients and how much of each ingredient was involved in the dishes. I'd imagine that when FoodTV (or any food-related program) publishes a recipe, it's been tested thoroughly so that the home viewer can consistently re-create it.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

They re-ran Battle Asparagus last night, but I only caught the end. For anyone who actually saw the show- how in the world did Morimoto make that maki-type dish look like a stained glass window or kaleidescope?!

It was so beautiful!

You say I am mysterious. Let me explain myself. In a land of oranges, I am faithful to apples. ~ Elsa Gidlow

Morimoto and Batali always blow me away with their plate presentations! I watched Morimoto lose the beets battle tonight but I was surprised that he was working with liquid nitrogen to make golden beet icecream. He also dabbled with sodium alginate and calcium chloride. He made spheres using beets and presented it as ikura topping for his sushi, cool stuff.

Here is some info on the NEXT Iron Chef search:

Reportedly Ruhlman will be a judge:

Only the food network had the clout to invite eight established chefs, chefs who have proven their talent in the kitchen and no less importantly their skills as restaurateurs. None of these people are fry cooks desperate for a way out of their kitchen and into a national spotlight. They are chefs who already HAVE a national spotlight. Every one of these chefs is the real deal. Putting these men and women into competition on camera with all the craziness of reality television, this I wanted to see. Traci des Jardins, who just won a best chef award from the beards. John Besh from NOLA, Cleveland homeboy Michael Symon, and Doing God’s Work Chris Cosentino, like des Jardins, working in San Francisco, among them.

There's very little out there, and some of the press have commented on how little the network is letting on, restricting the contestants from speaking to the press, etc. There is another thread here about the show:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=104951

What is known from the official press release, Ruhlman's blog, a couple of news articles, and other discussion forums: (I've omitted information already mentioned in the other thread, such as the names of the competitors and judges)

The "next" Iron Chef will be a 5th chef, in addition to the four current.

Alton is hosting.

This show will run for 6 episodes. It's been in production throughout July and will air starting October 7 at 9 pm. Taping happened at the CIA, among other locations.

Apparently there were ~30 preliminary candidates which was winnowed to 8 finalists. Only the 8 will be featured on the show.

The format is not the Iron Chef competition format, but more reality-show-like in which competitors must accomplish various challenges, get eliminated, etc. (This is disappointing to me.)

According to one discussion forum, mong those declining to compete was former challenger, Susur Lee.