• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef America (Part 2)

banco

Did anyone see the Yeo vs. Morimoto battle this past week? One of the best battles I've seen in recent memory. Each dish looked really good. Especially Morimoto's cabinet presentation. The whole idea of the dish seemed extremely Japanese to me in aesthetics and in flavor profile, which was very refreshing compared to a lot of the dishes I've seen from him lately.

I guess the biggest upside to this battle was that it actually kept me guessing on who would win in the end. Both chefs seemed to make every dish good.

Of course, Steingarten or that Bakoum or whatever her name is lady wasn't judging.

Did anyone see the Yeo vs. Morimoto battle this past week? One of the best battles I've seen in recent memory. Each dish looked really good. Especially Morimoto's cabinet presentation. The whole idea of the dish seemed extremely Japanese to me in aesthetics and in flavor profile, which was very refreshing compared to a lot of the dishes I've seen from him lately.

I guess the biggest upside to this battle was that it actually kept me guessing on who would win in the end. Both chefs seemed to make every dish good.

Of course, Steingarten or that Bakoum or whatever her name is lady wasn't judging.

I watched it the yesterday and it was very close. Chef Yeo's dishes were very well done. I also thought Morimoto really pushed the theme of tofu and really helped the judges enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the episode the other night. I agree, it was one of the better episodes they've had. They were both obviously excellent chefs. Everything that they both cooked looked delicious!! It would've been a hard battle to judge the winner, but in the end I think that I agree that Morimoto should have won. That first dish of Yeo's though, with the tea pot and the tempura asparagus, looked so good!

• 2 weeks later...

The following press release reveals (all?) challengers and judges for the upcoming tapings (October 6-24) of the 4th season of Iron Chef America, scheduled to air in February.

http://www.omnihotels.com/AboutOmniHotels/...essRelease.aspx

This information can be found in a couple other places. In case the link doesn't work or they remove it, here are the listed challengers:

Chris Cosentino (Incanto, SF)

David Myers (Sona, LA)

Graham Elliot Bowles (Avenues, Chicago)

Jose Andres (Café Atlantico et al., D.C.)

Tony Liu (August, NYC)

Michael Carlson (Schwa, Chicago)

Andrew Carmellini (A Voce, NY)

Tim Love (The Lonesome Dove Western Bistro, Fort Worth)

Robert Gadsby (Noe et al., LA, Houston, Chicago)

Peter Kelly (Xaviar's et al., NY)

Todd Richards (The Oakroom, Louisville)

Marc Murphy (Landmarc, NYC)

Mary Dumont (The Dunaway Restaurant at Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth, NH)

Lynn Crawford (Four Seasons, Toronto)

Kurt Boucher (Pine Creek Cookhouse, Aspen, CO)

Alexandra Guarnaschelli (Butter, NYC)

Charles Clark (Ibiza Food and Wine Bar, Houston)

Mark Tarbell (Tarbell’s et al. Phoenix)

Fortunato Nicotra (Felidia, NYC)

Linton Hopkins (Restaurant Eugene, Atlanta)

Some good chef's in there. I thought Homaro Cantu was supposed to be in there, a battle against Morimoto? I guess not.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Ah, I see, thanks for the info, can't wait for that one!

Good luck on your new show Chris!! Definately looking forward to it.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

This Sunday's episode willl feature Bobby Flay and Austin's David Bull, from The Driskill Hotel, in battle WIld Boar, with EGulleter Chris Cognac on the judging panel. Here's a story from today's Austin American-Statesman:

http://www.austin360.com/food_drink/conten.../4ironchef.html

Oh I am SO EXCITED about this one! I really, really want Chef Bull to win, obviously.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

And David and Crew looked like they'd been there before-really good stuff. I've actually had his grilled watermelon, although it was served with sashimi, and it worked for me.

Looking forward to seeing your show Chris-if it ever gets to Austin, we've got some real treats here!

Frank

Frank in Austin

I really enjoyed watching the show! Chef Bull is one of my favorite chefs, and I've met Bobby Flay so it was more exciting than usual.

Ultimately, I was disappointed my home-town team didn't win, but oh well.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Kady (the woman judging w us) wass the best and she was stone sober...we had a blast....they cut a lot of the banter and arguing w JEffery.....it was really close let me tell you....there was so much smoke in there from the fires on flays side...the flames were huge!....Chef Bull was amazing, I would kill to eat that menu again...I did get a call today about going to the Austin Food Festival in April....might have to go check that out....

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Kady (the woman judging w us) wass the best and she was stone sober...we had a blast....they cut a lot of the banter and arguing w JEffery.....it was really close let me tell you....there was so much smoke in there from the fires on flays side...the flames were huge!....Chef Bull was amazing, I would kill to eat that menu again...I did get a call today about going to the Austin Food Festival in April....might have to go check that out....

That would be The Texas Hill Country Wine & Food Festival, and we'd love to have you. I'm with a local craft brewery and we have had a big presence (for a small brewery!) there for 7 or 8 years-I think you will like it a lot. Especially the Thursday event at a wild game ranch. Hope to see you there Chris!

FM

Frank in Austin

I called the Driskill bar and they said they didn't get Food Network. The bartender with whom I spoke agreed with me that that was super lame. Bull and his staff did have a private party at Alamo Drafthouse. I still haven't seen the episode yet.

I just finally saw this last night and it was pretty enjoyable all the way around. My favorite moment, though, was Steingarten giving Kady a bad time about her definition of 'tender'; after her second comment on tenderness he claimed his portion of meat was '. . . a little tough but I supposed yours slid down your throat like an oyster' (paraphrasing but as best I can remember). She was kind of talking over it, so it was difficult to hear/catch, but it cracked me up. My favorite curmudgeon.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I caught this battle on repeat - lucky, as I haven't followed the series as much as the original. Probably will start to pay closer attention. I get the feeling that Morimoto tends to cook more or less "traditionally" on this series than he does on the Japanese series? Watching him make the classic mushroom takikome gohan in donabe sent me into orbit (or at least onto eGullet to find helpful hints on cooking in a donabe) -- such a simple dish but so delicious. Best part about it is the burnt rice on the sides of the clay pot!!