• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef America (Part 2)

banco

I was very excited to watch this last night.  It was nice to see these chefs have lamb to work with..  It is so much more exciting then a fish or a vegetable to me.. I was dissapointed that there was no offal or head.. But thats ok..  The thing that really really disturbed me and actually ruined the entire show were the judges.. I turned it on late so I didnt get their intro's.. I thought for a while that the pretty blond was the singer Jewel, but then I figured Jewel would know more about food..

Normally, they use really bad judges, but last nights was beyond.. It reminded me of a bad episode of the View.. It was a bunch of yenta women sitting around discussing lots of different things, including food..  And please dont think I am being harsh.  These women knew nothing about food.. The first thing that shocked me was not one judge broke the yolk of their Quail Egg.. When Flay served his green eggs and lamb, the judges just tried the egg white of the quail egg and left the yolk undisturbed..  Next disturbing thing was when the women was grossed out by the raw lamb dish..  Another absolutely ridiculous comment was made by the same women who was grossed out .. "Wow, I like lamb, I mean I guess I like lamb"  As if she was just coming to the realization after trying lamb for the first time.. I think the woman in the middle called one of Burke's dishes "Sexy".. 

Anyone know who these women were? Or what their qaulifications were?  Its really upsetting to see these great Chefs stand there and listen to these morons evaluate there dishes..  If they have to use judges for political reasons, just have them come on and make comments.. But dont pretend this thing is a competition..Dont have a chef's reputation and creations be judge by these people...

The one on the far end from "The Chairman" who said she was surprised she liked lamb but was not sure on lamb sashimi/carpaccio was Lara Spencer...She first came to my notice as the Vanna White of the American version of "Antiques Road Show"... now she's doing one of the vapid entertainment news shows--the one Pat Obrien ended up at after his rehab...obviously she has been hiding her virtuosity in food critique so the rest of us won't feel overwhelmed... :blink:

KV

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

So, are we to believe that e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e who knows a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g about food was busy the day they taped? Sometimes I think they sit around the offices and brainstorm about how they can further screw-up what was once a reasonable concept.

I suppose it's too much to hope that someone will start an "HBO of gastronomy" with quality, original programming.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

This was a pretty good battle too, the lamb looked so delicious that it made me hungry. It's a shame that the judges were so annoying, I was really disappointed by Jewel. I figured she'd be a little more knowledgeable than that. I hate it when the judges just rant and rave about everything...we know the food is good, that's why they are Iron Chefs...they are supposed to be telling us what did and didn't work, not just fawning over it.

Jewel actually said something like "I'm not very familiar with lamb....but I'm a big fan of mole sauce!"

I gagged and changed the channel.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

Yeah, as much as I disliked the judges this time around, I'm just glad that lady from KB enterprises wasn't there... or the lady that wrote untangling my chopsticks. They drive me up the wall. As I am an avid watcher of the original Iron Chef, I remember times where the chefs would cook to cater to the judges and know ahead of time whether or not they liked spicy foods and such. Besides, chefs aren't cooking for foodies and people who know and love all types of food every single day, so maybe they're just trying to get an accurate representation of the population. Who knows.

I was a bit surprised that Chef Burke tried to do a rendition of his famous angry lobster, though I guess he didn't want to bring those nail rounds for nothing. It just seems like his original angry lobster dish with lamb stuck in it. That may have been what killed it for him. I was also surpised he didn't do his falafel and lamb that I had when I ate at davidburke&donatella. It was pretty damn good. I think it would have been a suitable replacement for the angry lobster dish.

Also, was it just me or did Flay do a breakfast dish (again) then four entrees?

And yeah, the lady in the middle was the editor of f&w.

I don't know if I'm that excited to watch Cora v. Fraser in a pork battle. They need more vegetables on the show.

Chris,

You're going to look like a genius on the judge's panel after the lamb debacle (not that you wouldn't have before, mind you, but...). :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Haha.. Get out of here.. Are you serious..  :laugh:

No kidding. She mentions it on her site:

"1.13.2006

JEWEL ON IRON CHEF

Jewel's guest appearance as one of the celebrity judges on Iron Chef America will air on the Food Network starting on Sunday, January 15th. The episode, Flay vs. Burke, will air several times though out the week. Check your local Food Network listings for broadcast times."

I'm not a huge fan of lamb and I think I would have done a better job than that panel.

Thats the thing.. To be a judge you dont have to like it to judge it.. You just need to judge it..

Exactly. A lot of people just aren't willing to go outside their burgers and fries (mmm...double cheeseburger) and some people have woefully underdeveloped vocabularies where the most they can say about anything - food, movies, books, what have you - is "I liked it" or "I didn't/don't like this". I've noticed on ICA, you either get those people who are part of that group or you get pretentious gits who try to sound sophisticated but come off as amusing instead. Unfortunate, really.

From Bobby Flay's website:

more Iron Chef news

it's a big day in Kitchen Stadium. Today it's Iron Chef vs. Iron Chef - with a little help from the ranks of Food Network. I've got Giada on my side and we're taking on Mario and Rachel Ray. It'll be one to watch! I'll let you know when it airs.

Proof I ain't making it up...

So: Flay and Giada vs. Batalli and RayRay

is this a trainwreck waiting to happen?

i am speechless.

excuse me while i drop to one knee, and weep openly.

as Adolph said in the bunker,"All is lost. Hopelessly lost".

edited to add:

France surrenders.

Edited by akebono (log)

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

as Adolph said in the bunker,"All is lost. Hopelessly lost".
Flay didn't even mention Hitler, akebono :raz: ... nor anything about trainwrecks ... :hmmm:

I think it may turn out to be quite interesting ... :wink: and we have seen Flay vs Batali before ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Trainwreck, yes, as in "ratings bonanza for Food TV" trainwreck.

akebono, surely you aren't harboring some illusion that Iron Chef is something other than a contrived stunt advertising Food TV personalities.

surely, only a pact with the horned one could bring such an event to fruition.

poor mario. it brings to mind bobby riggs playing those

tennis matches with two poodles tied to his legs.

i googled driving directions to this iron chef battle:

punch purgatory into your GPS

take a left.

excuse me i have flying pigs in my cubicle...

poor mario. it brings to mind bobby riggs playing those tennis matches with two poodles tied to his legs.

I'm not sure "poor" is the adjective I'd use to describe anyone who submits to this sort of spectacle, as the word suggests a lack of financial resources, wherewithal, or both. I think Mario et al are flush and cognizant, thank you very much.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

found this Nostradamus Quatrain:

When the coliseum of Iron is overturned by the whirlwind

the cook with the hair of the horse, and the shoes that burn like the sun

shall team with the lady of extra virgin, that has the mouth of the nile delta.

At this time the celtic boy and the norman lady shall be vanquished.

Well, at least we know that the secret ingredient isn't humility.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.