• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef America (Part 2)

banco

You won't see chefs such as Keller, Ducasse or Trotter on this show. They have nothing to gain from the exposure and are not likely to put themselves up against a panel not guaranteed to be composed of serious food experts.

I was being facetious... :smile:

Edited by iheartoffal (log)

Nothing to see here.

From looking at Food Network site and there ling up so far my guesses as themes would be as follows:

Flay vs. Lang, barbecue master= pork ribs

Morimoto vs. Sanchez,latino fare= cilantro

Flay vs. Bernstein ??= matzo

Cora vs. Choy, Hawaiian= tuna

Batali vs. De Jardines, French for garden= tomatoes, because who makes a better marinara sauce then mama!!

Who the heck knows!! :rolleyes:

LOL :raz:

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

You don't have to like everything I make, but you still have to eat it.

A Co-Worker from Work

Interesting stats on the Japanese version of the show:

The stage setting for the show, "Kitchen Stadium" (キッチンスタジアム), the high-quality (and sometimes very expensive) ingredients used in the cooking battles, and Kaga's extravagant costumes required the show to have a budget far higher than that of most other cooking shows. Some statistics: 893 portions of foie gras, 54 sea breams, 827 Ise shrimp, 964 matsutake mushrooms, 4,593 eggs, 1,489 truffles, 4,651 grams of caviar, and 84 pieces of shark fin were used during the show, bringing the total grocery bill to ¥843,354,407 (or about $8,000,000). Chairman Kaga, who tried every dish, consumed a total of 2,389,995 calories

• 3 weeks later...
It is too bad. The show actually had potential. I watched most of this years episodes, but I think I have had enough. :angry:

Nevertheless, it might actually be fun to see what Wylie Dufresne does with some of these things. :cool: I just won't consider it in terms of competition. :wink:

I just checked the official site and I don't see Wylie listed, although I did see him on

the ad snippet also.

What gives???

2317/5000

Batali did really well with the pizza dough.  Very imaginative uses of this ingredient.

Yes, I was drooling. Todd English had some creative stuff, but Batali's looked mouthwatering. Unlike ICJ, where many of the ingredients and dishes looked a little too slimy or adventurous for my tastes, the dishes on this episode were something I'd love to eat, and would eagerly order in a fine restaurant.

Edited by pam claughton (log)

Batali did really well with the pizza dough.  Very imaginative uses of this ingredient.

Don't judge a book by it's cover, nor a tv show by it's blurb.

Mario Batali v Todd English, Secret Inedient Pizza Dough, was probaby he best IC episode ever? At least it was the first one where I actually would like to have tasted all the dishes.

Anyone can make something fancy using foie gras or squab or Kobi Beef. To really see a great chef's creativity at work, give them the most mundane and basic ingredient to work with.

Remember, it was "Pizza Dough Battle", not Pizza Battle.

SB (didn't even want to see who "prevailed")

Kerry Simon? Todd English?..weren't they iron chefs before??

Nah, Tadd was not Kerry, but Kerry was a judge, and a contestant before (first incarnation ICA) and got beat by I don't remember, I don't think it was Todd, but maybe, I really don't remember.

I thought both contestants gave it to us pretty good yesterday, I thought Todd got hammered on the originality, and Mario should have been punished more in taste for the lambchop, what was he thinking? I don't know how much cheese I can eat with ice cream though, so it probably was right. Gotta love Steingarten, "this dough is soo soft", "yeah, makes you think he could have made the last one less like shoe leather."

I thoroughly enjoyed the Pizza Dough Battle.

I thought both chefs were imaginitive and original. Todd's motz balloon was so cool, and I would have loved to try the lobster with minted peas. He really traveled the globe with his offerings and I liked that. I think someone of his culinary stature would have had to been pissed or humbled by some of the critics comments. It has to take some kind of cojones to put it all on the line and then take whatever is thrown at you IN PUBLIC. Mario had the most creative uses for the dough, not just bread! Very cool soup. The noodles made me think of soggy saltines though. For the lamb I'm surprised that he didn't just sear it on a screaming pan before frying. They may like it overcooked in the originating culture but you need to cook for the people you're feeding.

The hamburger battle AKA Ground Beef should be enlightening too. Many of our limited perspectives may only see hamburgers/meatballs etc. but I bet our chefs can do something exciting and new to open our eyes there too.

Having gone through the experience (defeated yes, yet still dignified I think) I can tell you that due to, on the one hand, a more than modest food budget (those items which the chef obviously orders in advance), and on the other hand, very tight logistical limitations (um, you know, cooking for TV), any foodstuff can become worthy as a secret ingredient. And, with total, sincere humility, I think those of us who were asked to participate in the first season held up the credibility of the whole thing to make it 'ok' for those who appeared in this round. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing Wylie, of course, but also Michael Symon (Lola, in Cleveland), an oft unsung hero, in my opinion, and Desjardins, too. And, dude, David Burke! Pastry chefs will want to tune in to Cat Cora's battles if only to see Elizabeth Faulkner (Citizen Cake, San Francisco) pickup sous chef duty, and something tells me the Aaron Sanchez v. Morimoto show will be, well, interesting...

Edited by Michael Laiskonis (log)

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

I thoroughly enjoyed the Pizza Dough Battle. 

I thought both chefs were imaginitive and original.  Todd's motz balloon was so cool, and I would have loved to try the lobster with minted peas.

Though I do beleive that one was what was referred to in the shoe leather comment.

He really traveled the globe with his offerings and I liked that.

Yet he got docked from a creativity standpoint.

I think someone of his culinary stature would have had to been pissed or humbled by some of the critics comments.  It has to take some kind of cojones to put it all on the line and then take whatever is thrown at you IN PUBLIC. 

I thought he looked pissed.

Mario had the most creative uses for the dough, not just bread!  Very cool soup.  The noodles made me think of soggy saltines though.  For the lamb I'm surprised that he didn't just sear it on a screaming pan before frying.

I think he did, I tuned in for this segment for a minute last night and it was obviously pre grilled if not seared, he should have wrapped them in a layer of fat and gelatine, and skipped the searing, but who am I, I think rack of lamb should be medium rare.

They may like it overcooked in the originating culture but you need to cook for the people you're feeding.

The hamburger battle AKA Ground Beef should be enlightening too.  Many of our limited perspectives may only see hamburgers/meatballs etc. but I bet our chefs can do something exciting and new to open our eyes there too.

Man, Micheal, you have my mouth watering, thanks for your take on things. I really liked that chocolate creme brulee you made, surrepticiously of course.

Edited by coquus (log)

Man, that was a good battle. I really liked both sides dishes, they really pulled it off. I would have given it to Kerry too if he would have made me icecream to make a milkshake out of. You have to like having Martin Yan as your judge. Micheal, you were right about that sous chef, she's got the touch. An unprecidented one tenth of one percent though? We had a contestant come on here and talk about the process, now we need a judge to do the same I think.

I was baffled by this episode -- thought Kora should have lost her first battle and won this one. She presented a coherent menu -- a celebration of humble yet great street foods using humble yet great ground beef. Only her pizza elicited negative comments, and her presentation, while a tad cutesy, was far more creative than Kerry's. WTF? His burger looked greasy, his consomme showcased rich chicken stock rather than hamburger (the secret ingredient was reduced to being a TOOL for the dish), and this wasn't ice cream battle, either.

OT -- does Kerry look like Mark Wahlberg or what?

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

His burger looked greasy, his consomme showcased rich chicken stock rather than hamburger (the secret ingredient was reduced to being a TOOL for the dish), and this wasn't ice cream battle, either. 

Of course his burger looked greasy, it had bacon in it... besides, I think if a burger isn't greasy, then you're missing the point. haha. As for the consomme, I actually think it was a beef consomme, so it wasn't just a tool for the dish. It seemed to be he was making a slight version of Vietnamese Pho with the sliced raw meat, then the broth being poured over it (most Vietnamese people like to have their meat served raw on the side, then they put it in themselves.) As for the ice cream, I just think it went in with the whole "burger, fries, and a shake" theme, though when I saw his shake out from the blender, it looked really lumpy and horribly unappetizing. Stirring it didn't seem to make it so much better, but I guess with only so much time there's only so much you can do.

I do however agree that I think Chef Cora should've lost heir first battle and won this last one. I think the creativity on this last battle was far better than Chef Simon's though I think Chef Simon's dishes looked more appetizing.

Also I was a bit baffled at the decimal scoring this time, it just sort've just to seem to jump in there as there has never been any sort of decimal scoring in any previous battle (American or Japanese) and then all of a sudden all three judges score with decimals. Maybe we're just missing something.

Is David Burke really competing? I don't remember it being reported, but it does make sense because Donatella was a judge and they can throw in the "Judge brings in a chef" angle. They didn't play that angle for chef simon though, so oh well. I really think his dishes are quite inventive. Hopefully they'll throw him a fish so he can make his chops.

I actually have enjoyed this season quite a bit more than the last, lets just hope it'll be worth it for Food network to keep on producing these for years to come.

I do however agree that I think Chef Cora should've lost heir first battle and won this last one. I think the creativity on this last battle was far better than Chef Simon's though I think Chef Simon's dishes looked more appetizing.

The way I saw it, she had a dish that didn't taste good, while Kerry just used a bit too much oil in a couple, far less a sin.

Also I was a bit baffled at the decimal scoring this time, it just sort've just to seem to jump in there as there has never been any sort of decimal scoring in any previous battle (American or Japanese) and then all of a sudden all three judges score with decimals. Maybe we're just missing something.

Hear, hear. But then again Iron Chef has never been about following any rules. I remember cookoffs for settling ties, and, I think, re-deliberation happening as well on the Japanese version. There were far greater chances of getting a tie with their scoring system however. I'm thinking the only one voting with decimals was Martin Yan, because the other judges have been on before and there was no such decimal usage. Go Martin, vote how you feel buddy.

I think the battle could have been a tie!

The question is can a judge give a tie? I know that in Iron Chef Japan, a judge was forced to render a decision to one person. There are 3 judges. That means that 2 judges have to agree on one chef. I also didn't think fractions were allowed either. :huh:

Anyhow, I would have given Kerry a higher score on originality than Cora:5 verses 3,because of the versatility of the ground meat verses different styles of preparing burger meat in the world.

However, presentation I would have gone for Cora because of her creative Martha Stewart decorating tips using a paper bag with plastic utensils and a pizza cutter with a beer (5 verses 4).

When it comes to taste, the other ten points are up in the air??

"To invite a person to your house is to take charge of his (her) happiness for as long as he is under your roof."

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

I think the battle between Flay and Lang was a good one. I think that Lang's creativity and usage of chicken was better executed than Flay's.

The woman judge didn't like anything practically! Maybe she should write a cookbook on chicken preparations.

Mo Rocca was also a judge and I think was there just to eat. He wasn't too interested in the competition. :hmmm:

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work

I think the battle between Flay and Lang was a good one. I think that Lang's creativity and usage of chicken was better executed than Flay's.

The woman judge didn't like anything practically! Maybe she should write a cookbook on chicken preparations.

Mo Rocca was also a judge and I think was there just to eat. He wasn't too interested in the competition. :hmmm:

What you saw of the presentation was almost all you got, in that two of the three judges offered nothing that would allow more insight into the dishes. In a contest where points are awarded for originality, it just seems counterproductive to have a panelist who's so closed to so much and another who hasn't much to say about the food. Almost all of the food looked, not only good enough to eat, but actually tempting, but Adam Perry Lang's preparations appeared to be the most enticing, they also appeared to be the most interesting looking. Not being able to taste any of the food, I wasn't particularly disturbed to see Flay win, maybe it did taste better, but to see him win on presentation points was a joke. This episode might have been better without a jury or their vote. I enjoyed watching them cook. I was particularly struck with Lang's range and finesse. I think others have commented that Flay's food quickly begins to look familar with a limited style. It's kind of interesting that Lang has made his name with barbecue in NY. He's very versatile.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I think Bobby Flay's cooking is beginning to look the same at every battle. I don't get the connection with southwestern cuisine and coconut curry. It is getting to be repetitive. And Lang used a variety of preparations besides BBQ, like sous vide! Very nice!

As to presentation, Bux, I agree with you. The points should have been the reversed. Scores might have been different if the judges were the lady from tonite, the Japanese woman critic from last week, and Jeffrey Steingarten from Vogue.

Brillat Savarin

A Co-Worker from Work