• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef America (Part 2)

banco

I am more than fine with all the judges i have seen on the program.

why?

None of this is meant to be taken very seriously!

The goal is entertainment --first and foremost.

This is about theatre--not serious cuilinary artistry.

(although that is an element)

It is nice to have some everyday people on the panels--as opposed to food experts.

IMOP--the show is not the same as, say, the pastry competitions or the Bocuse'd'or (or whatever it is).

maybe it's just me--but I see Iron Chef America to be more related to the WWF Smackdowns than say, Charlie Trotter's Kitchen sessions or Colameco's PBS fare.

so the more outrageous the panel's comments--the better--and i really don't care if they "know what they are talking about or not--it's all just fun!

Next, they'll be pairing chef contenders with celebrity guests, sock-puppet sidekicks, cute kids.

Okay, Bourdain with:

Laura Bush

Sherri Lewis' Lambchop

Any of the Welch's Grape Juice commercial kids

SB (Great Idea!) :wink:

All right, did you mean Bourdain cooking with them as another cook or as an ingredient? :blink:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

This horrifying idea of pairing real chefs with "personalities" was, of course, inevitable.

It will undoubtedly result in ICUSA's Best Ratings Ever. A sign of the times.

Next, they'll be pairing chef contenders with celebrity guests, sock-puppet sidekicks, cute kids.

So....you in...? :cool:

And by the way, I'm still waiting to be hired to write the lyrics for "Kitchen Confidential:The Musical."

Edited by TrishCT (log)

All right, did you mean Bourdain cooking with them as another cook or as an ingredient?   :blink:

Tony as the "Secret Ingredient"? That would be interesting.

Actually, the combination of chefs and tv personalities reminds me of the old non-PC puzzle which involved moving a certain number of missionaries and cannibals across a river using a boat that only held x number of people.

As I recall, the trick was to ensure that there were never more missionaries than cannibals left on either bank of the river to avoid having the poor cannibal subjected to proselytizing.

SB (or something like that?) :wacko:

Edited by srhcb (log)

A sure sign.  The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse will be the sous chefs, two per team.

:blink:

I always thought the Four Horsement of the Apocalypse were Chain Restaurants...

Any y'all KNOW you are going to watch it...you have set the Tivo, marked it on the calendar and purchased a box of those pre-cooked 'dim sum style' appies and a bottle of plum sauce for the occasion. You will all be glued to the tube, in your jammies, laughing yourselves silly and planning all the witty remarks you can log onto eGullet with to entertain your online pals.

Ahem...cough. Perhaps I am projecting.

I can't wait to see it. I'm twisted that way.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

are challengers obligated to wear chef jackets regardless they are a chef??  didn't see rachel ray wear one when they showed a clip of the upcoming episode on one of the entertaiment shows on either channels 2 or 4.

Perhaps they couldn't find her one that fit?

Although she could probably wear one of Mario's .... upside-down!

SB (likes RR's "size") :wink:

Hey lay off the clogs! Those are Crocs my friend. The world's ugliest, most comfortable shoe. They are so light, she wouldn't even feel the impact if he did stomp on her with them!

http://www.crocs.com/home.jsp

As the proud, very arthritic, owner of my very own three pairs of Crocs, there is simply no other shoe that compares. Granted, mine are navy, black and brown, not orange, but I see the humor in owning an orange pair. They were recommended by my rheumatologist three years ago, God Bless Her and all those like her!

Mario is carrying a lot of weight around, and I can see why he would just love these shoes, having to be on his feet for long periods of time. They clean up easily as well, I have even tossed mine in the washing machine! The only problem I have with them, is that they seem to carry a lot of static electricity for some reason, and I have a white dog. Other than that, they are a blessing. If I have to spend any time at all on my feet, these are on my feet.

Don't knock 'em if you haven't tried them. I love my crocs, and my crocs love my poor old arthritic body.

Anne

(Edit to add) Very reasonably priced as well, and non skid to boot.

Amen, preach it sistah! I learned about Crocs from Mario's interview right here on eGullet, and have my own purple ones on my feet right this very instant. Definitely the creaky-jointed person's best friend, are these shoes--like walking around on a pair of springy sponges. And the colors you can get them in are just insane.

As to weirdo ICA matchups I'd love to see: how 'bout bringing in the whole Osbournes clan? Or are they too totally last season? Or perhaps that makes them even more appropriate? :laugh:

(Somewhat) more seriously: despite how much I like Alton Brown in his explicator role, I'd like to see him take a turn at being the challenger. Rube Goldberg cardboard and tinfoil gizmos for days! :laugh: And actually, a high probability of some proverbially good eats. He did an Iron Chef parody episode on his own show once--secret ingredient was pork belly. I thought it was hysterical. But then I'm easily amused.

are challengers obligated to wear chef jackets regardless they are a chef??  didn't see rachel ray wear one when they showed a clip of the upcoming episode on one of the entertaiment shows on either channels 2 or 4.

Perhaps they couldn't find her one that fit?

Although she could probably wear one of Mario's .... upside-down!

SB (likes RR's "size") :wink:

I would think Giada would be more "challenging" to outfit in this regard. Lordy.

Why is it that when I think of Giada, all I see is her giant head and enormous teeth - and if I posted that I would get hopped all over for being horrible and nasty but when a MAN thinks of nothing but chesticles and says so right here in front of everyone, no one flinches? I mean no woman would come here and say wooohooo...how ever DOES Flay find pants that fit? and that Chairman...he is SOOOOOO flexible!!!

Shame on you boys! :laugh:

Scott Stratten

Amen, preach it sistah! I learned about Crocs from Mario's interview right here on eGullet, and have my own purple ones on my feet right this very instant. Definitely the creaky-jointed person's best friend, are these shoes--like walking around on a pair of springy sponges. And the colors you can get them in are just insane.

Hey, not just the creaky jointed. My hubby, nine years older than I, with ridiculously low cholesterol, low body fat ratio, low blood pressure, no arthritis, loves his! 19 year old daughter and 25 year old stepdaughter love thiers. Nurse practioner stepdaughter and her ER Nurse husband love theirs.

"Springy sponges" does the sensation justice, I guess, but like all other similes I can comprehend, seem to fall short. "Walking on clouds" seems trite and overused. "Comfortable" seems an understatement. I guess you just got to try them. It is sort of like trying to describe the aroma of truffle to someone who has never smelled one, or the mouth feel of foie gras to someone who has never tasted it.

Hallelujah!

Why is it that when I think of Giada, all I see is her giant head and enormous teeth - and if I posted that I would get hopped all over for being horrible and nasty but when a MAN thinks of nothing but chesticles and says so right here in front of everyone, no one flinches?  I mean no woman would come here and say wooohooo...how ever DOES Flay find pants that fit?  and that Chairman...he is SOOOOOO flexible!!! 

Shame on you boys!  :laugh:

Hey what I said was a compliment! :raz: (And one that FTV is obviously cashing in on.)

Anyway, I say feel free to express yourself when it comes to the Chairman's flexibility or Flay's tailor's (alleged) inseam miracle-working, or the Thirsty Traveler's zesty understache, or whatever. Equal rights, babe.

Now, where should I hide?

Why is it that when I think of Giada, all I see is her giant head and enormous teeth - and if I posted that I would get hopped all over for being horrible and nasty but when a MAN thinks of nothing but chesticles and says so right here in front of everyone, no one flinches?  I mean no woman would come here and say wooohooo...how ever DOES Flay find pants that fit?  and that Chairman...he is SOOOOOO flexible!!! 

Shame on you boys!  :laugh:

She has a skullhead, but I'd never say that.

--

ID

--

This horrifying idea of pairing real chefs with "personalities" was, of course, inevitable.

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog could be a judge:

"Rachel, your EVOO laden salad is veeery good.....

TO POOP ON!"

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog could be a judge:

"Rachel, your EVOO laden salad is veeery good.....

TO POOP ON!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Yeah, Triumph and Dakota Fanning. What a duo.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

This will be the first Iron Chef America worth watching since Iron Chef America: Shatner.

Was Shatner a contestant, a judge, or the secret ingredient? Just so long as he didn't "sing"...

Shatner was the Chairman.

I weep for what might have been.

--

ID

--

chesticles

Chesticles? This is a new one on me.

Also known in our family as breasticles...

you know...two dangly bits...okay, that's enough out of me on that subject.

I really MUST find a job and stop hanging around here.

Scott Stratten

I'm not sure whether to gouge my eyes out or watch. Perhaps I'll gouge out one eye and then watch, so the pain will only be half as intense.

One day I hope to understand the spectacle that is now foodtainment, and how it got to be this way. Yes, there are simple, surface explanations, but the roots of it are so philosophically deep that it is difficult to pinpoint when exactly our entire culture jumped the shark.

I need a drink.

Jennifer L. Iannolo

Founder, Editor-in-Chief

The Gilded Fork

Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.

Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)