• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Eve Dessert

JohnT

You will wait to top the panna cottas with the hearts until just at the moment of serving, won't you?  I picture them disintegrating.

Yes, you are quite correct about them disintegrating! I was actually talking to my wife about this last night - now you post the same thought! Her comment was just forget about the use of meringue and make small chocolate hearts that stand up. This is something I will consider over the weekend after tomorrow nights kitchen cook-up.

A tip on looking for cups, look for the plastic wine glasses, or any disposable with a stem. The name is imprinted on the foot, not the bowl.

I think your idea is a good one although I have never seen such plastic wine glasses here that do not cost more than proper glass ones. The stuff we get is really cheap muck, mostly from China. However, reading the imprint on the ones I have been experimenting with, I was supprised that they come from Kenya. I have seen some containers that are used to put fluids into that are smooth with no imprint and will try and find a supplier during next week.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.