• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tofu Misozuke

Hi everyone! I tried to do a search for tofu misozuke and saw that nothing came up.  Has anybody here tried it, or tried to make it? 

I came across it down the internet rabbit hole by watching Cooking with Dog.  I did a generic search on misozuke and came across Rau Om's Tofu Misozuke.  From there I came across Viet World Kitchen's Recipe.

I was very curious to try it myself, so I bought some medium firm tofu, the misos and started! 

5r76YAT.jpg

I covered the tofu completely with cheesecloth folded over twice, and let it sit in the marinade for 4 days. I checked the container to make sure it didn't get watery every day. 

EeE6zEC.jpg

Opened up and discarded the mixture.  The tofu didn't get moldy, woohoo! 

uNJW8Zh.jpg

It now has to sit in a container lined with parchment for 6 to 8 weeks.  It will be an incredible test of patience for me as I might just nibble away at it while it sits.  I picked off a corner and the texture is still firm, but pleasantly tangy and salty from the mixture.  

I look forward to hearing experiences with this product! :) 

I have made it, but it was a long time ago! As long as you are careful with hygiene, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't nibble. We used to eat ours after about 2 weeks mostly - if it sits for 6-8 weeks, it may be very salty if you are not planning to eat it with rice (or beer!).

• Like 1

First you want to wrap the tofu in cheesecloth and then set a weight on top of it to press out some of the water. Leave it like this in the refrigerator over night. I usually dilute miso with water and to make it less salty and easier to coat the tofu. Then add the miso and tofu into a zip lock bag and squeeze out all the air. Leave this in the refrigerator for 1 week and then taste it to see if it as as salty as you like. I like to measure everything so that when the miso and tofu equal out in terms of salt concentration the tofu will be between 1~2% salt. If you can get moromi miso that makes the best tofu misozuke.

• Like 2

First you want to wrap the tofu in cheesecloth and then set a weight on top of it to press out some of the water. Leave it like this in the refrigerator over night. I usually dilute miso with water and to make it less salty and easier to coat the tofu. Then add the miso and tofu into a zip lock bag and squeeze out all the air. Leave this in the refrigerator for 1 week and then taste it to see if it as as salty as you like. I like to measure everything so that when the miso and tofu equal out in terms of salt concentration the tofu will be between 1~2% salt. If you can get moromi miso that makes the best tofu misozuke.

Oh thank you so much for sharing this information! I will try this method and look for moromi miso! The brand I am using is Kabuto for both of the misos.