• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Chicken Sandwich Topic (merged)

jhlurie

Does anybody remember the 'chicken little' sandwiches you could get at KFC for 50 cents a pop back in the day.

Those things were so good.

Soft bun

Fried chicken patty

smear of mayo

I worked at a KFC briefly during college during the rollout of the Chicken Littles. It wasn't mayo. It was Miracle Whip. :shock:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

There's a diner near my office that looks authentically 40s/50s because they haven't redecorated since then. At least that's the lore. Two horseshoe shaped counters. Very Woolworth's. They do a variation on the club sandwich with chicken salad (I can't believe there was no talk of the salad versions) instead of turkey. And on very fresh thick bread.

A combination I like at home is chicken (not salad) with salami and that Stonewall Chicken martini mustard (vodka, vermouth, minced green olives).

This thread originated before I joined, but I need to throw my two cents in.

I LOVED the Popeye's Spicy Chicken Sandwich - it was crisp and spicy with a good amount of mayonnaise and pickles. But they have now relaced it with an insipid sandwich called the Chicken Strip Po'Boy that comes on a Mealy hoagie roll. Dry and flavorless. Ugh.

Thanks for letting me vent. :angry:

Bill Russell

Does anybody remember the 'chicken little' sandwiches you could get at KFC for 50 cents a pop back in the day.

Those things were so good.

Soft bun

Fried chicken patty

smear of mayo

I worked at a KFC briefly during college during the rollout of the Chicken Littles. It wasn't mayo. It was Miracle Whip. :shock:

Good god man!

Come to think of it, that sandwich did have a little zip.

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Just say it...owls on tits.  Done.

I just noticed them todaygetting out of my bank.  Weird.

???????? Owls? Tits? Chicken Breasts? Hooters waitresses? Where IS this bank? ?????????

==================================================================

I wonder if you can make a nice paté out of owl? It might just work on Chicken breast...

Side discussion: what ruins a chicken breast sandwich?

Some of mine....

1.) dry/overcooked

2.) Ketchup. In many cases BBQ sauce.

3.) If its NOT fried, I've had some HORRIBLE grilled/griddled chicken sandwiches which were TOO thick.

4.) A Lemon-Garlic treatment, if mishandled. Some of the worst chicken sandwiches I've ever had were bungled versions of this.

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

These are the kind I make myself:

- Smoked chicken breast, avocado & fresh mayo on toasted country bread

- roasted chicken breast sliced thinly, salted butter, radish on whole grain bread

- chicken thighs, chermoula mayo, cucumbers & tomato on pita

Those are my favorites.

Huge into the chicken kebab/pita w. tahini lettuce toamtoe & cucumbers then again am huge faen of any middle eastern food.

Did have a decent chicken sandwich just this afternoon at Rouge: grilled chicken w. spinach & really yummy mushrooms (had came w. cheese & honey mustard but I don't like either of those things)

Italian style chicken cutlet are pretty good too! Philly style w. broccoli rabe & sharp provolone,

Del Colle on Rittenhouse square has a great sandwich: Chicken cutlet ,basil mayo, roasted peppers & smoked gouda YUM!!

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Just say it...owls on tits.  Done.

I just noticed them todaygetting out of my bank.  Weird.

???????? Owls? Tits? Chicken Breasts? Hooters waitresses? Where IS this bank? ?????????

:laugh:

Amalgamated. 54th & Broadway.

Edited by elyse (log)

I love chicken sandwiches of all types, but breast meat is a must!!

The problem with making them at home is that it is really hard to find decent bread here.

One of my favorites in Japan is at KFC, it is called the wafu chicken-katsu sandwich, wafu meaning Japanese style and chicken katsu is a breaded and deep fried chicken cutlet (similar to tonkatsu which is pork) it is then dipped in this sticky sweet slightly spicy tonkatsu sauce like sauce, then topped with shredded cabbage and a dollop of amyo.

Yumm..................

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Nobody has mentioned stuffing: sage and onion or sausage meat. Essential for inclusion in the perfect sandwich of the sliced roast chicken variety

Good point. That was a common variety when I was in Ireland last year. Does anyone ever see them for sale on this side of the pond or is it strictly a homemade thing?

i'm kinda with pixel.  grilled chicken, watercress, red onion, mustard, on a baguette.  maybe even some chopped up sundried tomatoes for sweetness (but not too many).

Hmm. Yours sounds really good too, tommy. Though, I don't like mustard (don't kill me). Everything else, including those sun-dried tomatoes sound delicious. In fact, you've inspired me my good man. The chicken beckons!

i'm kinda with pixel.  grilled chicken, watercress, red onion, mustard, on a baguette.  maybe even some chopped up sundried tomatoes for sweetness (but not too many).

Hmm. Yours sounds really good too, tommy. Though, I don't like mustard (don't kill me). Everything else, including those sun-dried tomatoes sound delicious. In fact, you've inspired me my good man. The chicken beckons!

mustard only because it's healthier than mayo. although, i'd generally mix sriracha and mayo on that sandwich.

One of my favorites in Japan is at KFC, it is called the wafu chicken-katsu sandwich, wafu meaning Japanese style and chicken katsu is a breaded and deep fried chicken cutlet (similar to tonkatsu which is pork) it is then dipped in this sticky sweet slightly spicy tonkatsu sauce like sauce, then topped with shredded cabbage and a dollop of amyo.

Yumm..................

See... if it was actually a decent katsu, I wouldn't mind seeing it here. The problem is most of the stuff at KFC in the U.S. winds up tasting pretty much the same, and I'd be amazed if they could pull it off. The breading has to be GOOD, for starters.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Last night (not at home):

10-12" baguette (ie, crustier/narrower/chewier than a hoagie roll)

Grilled, sliced chicken breast

Chopped romaine

Caesar dressing with quadruple (maybe more) garlic, raw type, not roasted

Small amount of shredded thus melted cheddar

French fries (fast food type thickness)

All on the sandwich, not on the side. The chicken was dry.

Also had a rum, lime, coconut milk concoction called a Ricky Ricardo. Now let me get this straight. They put those ingredients together and name it after any musician but Nilsson? Grrr.

• 9 months later...

Lunch today was what I call the "buffalo chicken sandwich" --

breaded chicken strips, deep fried and then stuffed inside an italian bread roll, topped with buffalo wings bbq sauce and white sauce, chopped tomatoes with lettuce and a bit of onion. Bottled water and a banana on the side.

Love those deconstructed chicken sandwiches.

Soba

Soba, that sounds yummy. I love buffalo sauces.

I am also a big fan of a soft whole weat roll/bun, grilled chicken, pesto, mushrooms, and carmelized onions...for a hot chicken sandwich.

For something cold, I am simple and can be thrilled by cold grilled chicken, romaine letuce, tomatoes, and Caesar dressing in a pita.

-Ophelie

Cooking Light had a chicken sandwhich recipe a couple of years ago that we still make. It had, on a crusty roll of course, aioli, roasted balsamic cherry tomatoes, brie, sliced warm chicken breast, topped with baby spinach dressed in balsamic, olive oil, salt & pepper. It was called the Best Chicken Sandwhich Ever. In fact, we still call it that! :wub: Not so light, though!

I like to use a good Portugese bread,the kind with a nice thick crust and a chewy

interior,grill both sides lightly.

Marinate a slightly flattened,(just make the fillet the same thickness throughout)

in VO,lemon,roasted garlic, rosemary,dried chili and cracked black pepper

for about 1/2 hour and grill until just done over high heat and slice on the bias

at an exadurated angle,lots of succulent surface area.

Spread on piece of bread with a tapanade and the other with a goat cheese

a few slices of roasted red pepper,the chicken.season to taste.

I had a Chick-fil-A for lunch today. I was feelin' something fried. They make the best sandwich of any kind, ever, for one simple reason: they don't automatically assume you want mayo/ketchup/mustard on it. I love that. Sure, I have to ask them to not butter the bread, but even if they do, it's not like I have the devil's ooze all over my bun.

Gourmet Anarchy

I think the best chicken sandwich I ever had was in Harare, Zimbabwe in a Nando's Chicken place. Maybe it was the steady diet of ox tail and sadsa, or the still fading culinary shock that is chibuku, but that was the perfect sandwich. Moist chicken breast, spicy with peri-peri sauce, lovely Portugese roll.

I think they have them in Toronto, and you can buy the peri-peri sauce in Barbeques Galore.

see Nandos

I guess it's a South African chain. Good stuff.