• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Calorie Labeling on Menus. What would you search for?

SimpleTruthNutrition

I am trying to grow my business from being strictly by referral. I work with restaurants to analyze recipes so they can post calories and other nutritional information on the food they make. If you are a restaurant owner, wanting to purchase this service, what would you search for in search engines? How would you go about finding someone to help you with this service? I'm just trying to do some market research.

Thanks!

Caitlin Johnson, RD

Simple Truth Nutrition, LLC

www.simpletruthnutrition.com

Hey Simple TruthNutrition,

I like the website NutritionData which is apparently a subsidiary of Self magazine. It provides more information on nutrients on a wider variety of foods than the USDA site.

I don't eat much meat, so I really worry about my B12 and protein intake. They (NutritionData) have a nutrient search tool that allowed me to determine that canned clams and sardines are excellent sources of B12 that can potentially make up for not eating much meat. These ingredients are cheap and accessible. Very good information to have.

I don't own a restaurant, but I'm a consumer of their services. Restaurant owners are only interested in any service you might provide because the government is interested in the nutritional value of restaurant offerings. The government is only interested in providing this info because it's in the best interest of their constituents which include restaurant consumers.

I agree with pbear, that if folks are interested, they can always Google. It's hard to compete with that.

> ^ . . ^ <