• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

David Ross

eG Cook-Off #68: Citrus Fruits

8 minutes ago, kayb said:

I guess my favorite citrus dish of all time has to be lemon icebox pie. 2 cans condensed milk, five eggs, 3/4 cup lemon juice. Two pie shells (I usually use the graham cracker ones). Bake 20 minutes at 350 and chill overnight. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

I must have made a million of 'em over the years.

I think I'll make that this week.  Mother made it, but I've never made one so now is the time.  We're seeing good big hard lemons in our markets right now.  I detest the times of year when all we get are little lemons with thin skins and they're already soft when the supermarket puts them out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kayb said:

I guess my favorite citrus dish of all time has to be lemon icebox pie. 2 cans condensed milk, five eggs, 3/4 cup lemon juice. Two pie shells (I usually use the graham cracker ones). Bake 20 minutes at 350 and chill overnight. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

I must have made a million of 'em over the years.

Thanks for reminding us of this workhorse, my m-i-l's "go to".       She topped it with (canned) cherry pie filling.    I let the lemon flavor carry the load.   I also don't bother with a crust but rather butter the mold and simply coat it with graham or cookie crumbs.    Lighter and enough suggestion of crust.

eGullet member #80.

9 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Thanks for reminding us of this workhorse, my m-i-l's "go to".       She topped it with (canned) cherry pie filling.    I let the lemon flavor carry the load.   I also don't bother with a crust but rather butter the mold and simply coat it with graham or cookie crumbs.    Lighter and enough suggestion of crust.

And I'd go for the crust and then top it with a dark chocolate ganache.  But then I'll top just about anything with a dark chocolate ganache.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates