• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

David Ross

eG Cook-Off #68: Citrus Fruits

8 minutes ago, kayb said:

I guess my favorite citrus dish of all time has to be lemon icebox pie. 2 cans condensed milk, five eggs, 3/4 cup lemon juice. Two pie shells (I usually use the graham cracker ones). Bake 20 minutes at 350 and chill overnight. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

I must have made a million of 'em over the years.

I think I'll make that this week.  Mother made it, but I've never made one so now is the time.  We're seeing good big hard lemons in our markets right now.  I detest the times of year when all we get are little lemons with thin skins and they're already soft when the supermarket puts them out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kayb said:

I guess my favorite citrus dish of all time has to be lemon icebox pie. 2 cans condensed milk, five eggs, 3/4 cup lemon juice. Two pie shells (I usually use the graham cracker ones). Bake 20 minutes at 350 and chill overnight. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.

I must have made a million of 'em over the years.

Thanks for reminding us of this workhorse, my m-i-l's "go to".       She topped it with (canned) cherry pie filling.    I let the lemon flavor carry the load.   I also don't bother with a crust but rather butter the mold and simply coat it with graham or cookie crumbs.    Lighter and enough suggestion of crust.

eGullet member #80.

9 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Thanks for reminding us of this workhorse, my m-i-l's "go to".       She topped it with (canned) cherry pie filling.    I let the lemon flavor carry the load.   I also don't bother with a crust but rather butter the mold and simply coat it with graham or cookie crumbs.    Lighter and enough suggestion of crust.

And I'd go for the crust and then top it with a dark chocolate ganache.  But then I'll top just about anything with a dark chocolate ganache.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates

Posted (edited)

Checked on the old kumquat. Apparently the rains have impacted positively. The fruit smells great. So...marmalade on deck within a week or so. 

kumquat.JPG

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 5

This morning my husband and I made an ersatz Atlantic Beach Pie. Ersatz because he isn't crazy about the saltine crust, so we made a crust with biscotti. As if saltines aren't ersatz enough for a pie crust!Totally easy and you could probably use various flavors of biscotti, whatever was on hand or your favorite.  Isn't the filling pretty similar to a lemon icebox pie? Lots of lemon juice, 4 egg yolks, one can of sweetened condensed milk and a handful of zest. Still in the fridge, to be eaten as a late dessert. I need a LOT of treats these days.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

15 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

This morning my husband and I made an ersatz Atlantic Beach Pie. Ersatz because he isn't crazy about the saltine crust, so we made a crust with biscotti. As if saltines aren't ersatz enough for a pie crust!Totally easy and you could probably use various flavors of biscotti, whatever was on hand or your favorite.  Isn't the filling pretty similar to a lemon icebox pie? Lots of lemon juice, 4 egg yolks, one can of sweetened condensed milk and a handful of zest. Still in the fridge, to be eaten as a late dessert. I need a LOT of treats these days.

Yep, that's pretty close to lemon icebox pie. I do mine with a graham cracker or vanilla wafer crust, which is pretty close to biscotti....

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Had two huge seedless oranges sitting around and decided to try to find a 'whole orange'  cake online.  Discovered Sunset's Whole Orange Cake on Food 52.  Don't have a bundt pan so did it in an angel food pan.  Did not add the glaze.     BUT...this cake is incredible.  Delicious.  Absolutely delicious.   I think we have a new recipe in the repertoire. 

Interesting footnote to the recipe.  It came originally from a cake called Kissimmee Orange Cake and it used Florida oranges which have a thinner skin.   I had two very large seedless types so I cut the peel and pith from the one orange which ended up giving me the correct amount of orange to put into the cake. 

The bundt pan cake with the decorously draped white glaze would look much prettier, of course. DSC01903.thumb.JPG.773e45db727d51ed37c8a76dc1165b68.JPG

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates