• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #68: Citrus Fruits

David Ross

Had two huge seedless oranges sitting around and decided to try to find a 'whole orange'  cake online.  Discovered Sunset's Whole Orange Cake on Food 52.  Don't have a bundt pan so did it in an angel food pan.  Did not add the glaze.     BUT...this cake is incredible.  Delicious.  Absolutely delicious.   I think we have a new recipe in the repertoire. 

Interesting footnote to the recipe.  It came originally from a cake called Kissimmee Orange Cake and it used Florida oranges which have a thinner skin.   I had two very large seedless types so I cut the peel and pith from the one orange which ended up giving me the correct amount of orange to put into the cake. 

The bundt pan cake with the decorously draped white glaze would look much prettier, of course. DSC01903.thumb.JPG.773e45db727d51ed37c8a76dc1165b68.JPG

• Like 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Here is the recipe https://food52.com/recipes/75095-sunset-s-whole-orange-cake  I am a fan of an olive oil orange cake  I found during a stripped pantry time = like this one. I always have olive oil and citrus "on the hoof" so it is my go to  https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/california-orange-and-olive-oil-cake

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

January brings the season of citrus fruits.  What citrus fruits are you enjoying right now, and how are you cooking and baking with them?

My tangerines are a pretty color but suck - as in major mouth pucker. Valencias and kumquats are very late - another month I think. But with an abundance you can play, Sour guys as the acid in a dish. Peel, even before flesh sweet can be great zested in marinades, dressings, braises.  Quick pickled beets and carrots are lovely with some peel. I just use the potato peeler thing and drop in a few. I tend to quickly broil thinner fish fillets and some peel under them, and  squeeze of juice at service - much more than sum of parts. 

• Like 1

Just thought of the members doing lots out of Vivian Howard's new book which includes a preserved citrus using a mix of citrus. Hope thy share their experiences here. She calls it "Citrus Shrine"

• Like 3

On 1/11/2021 at 4:33 PM, heidih said:

I tend to quickly broil thinner fish fillets and some peel under them, and  squeeze of juice at service - much more than sum of parts. 

ooh!  I'm gonna do that this weekend with these flounder filets I have in my freezer.  

• Like 2

On 3/26/2020 at 4:13 PM, Darienne said:

Had two huge seedless oranges sitting around and decided to try to find a 'whole orange'  cake online.  Discovered Sunset's Whole Orange Cake on Food 52.  Don't have a bundt pan so did it in an angel food pan.  Did not add the glaze.     BUT...this cake is incredible.  Delicious.  Absolutely delicious.   I think we have a new recipe in the repertoire. 

When David picked up this topic again on Monday, I could see my cake just above his post.  So Ed bought me some oranges yesterday, smallish, from Spain, very tasty (which is always a wonderful surprise) and so I'm off to make that cake again.  Maybe I'll add the glaze this time...

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I had a turkey breast I was going to smoke yesterday, but it was cold and windy and I didn't want to fool with it. So I threw together a sauce with the zest and juice of a Valencia orange, a little sesame oil, a healthy glug or two of tamari, and some gochujang. Meant to put garlic, but forgot it. The turkey breast, one from my local farmer, was boneless and skinless, and had dry-brined for two days. I plopped it in a baking dish, poured the sauce over and around, and baked. 

Kids said it was great, and they were glad I'd forgotten the garlic.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I made the citrus and herb baked chicken that has been posted by many others before, forgot how easy and tasty it is, will put it in the regular rotation. I have a couple of pounds of mandarins in the fridge, used some of those. Used sliced shallot instead of onion. Love the citrus slices after they have been baked in the mingled juices, a savory/sweet blend.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

When you supreme an orange, why is it pronounced as if the word were spelled 'suprem'?

Oh, I just supremed an orange for my mid-morning drink.  And later this afternoon, I am going to supreme 3 or 4 blood oranges to make the "Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake'. 

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

4 minutes ago, Darienne said:

When you supreme an orange, why is it pronounced as if the word were spelled 'suprem'?

Because French. Or kitchen French at least, which might not be exactly the same thing.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Well today's supper cake was finally to be the Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake.  To that end, I attempted to supreme (regular or cooking pronunciation) three blood oranges and made quite a mess of it.  I ended up with a bowl of raggedy pieces and rather more juice than I had thought would be in them and blood orange juice on the counter and walls and the sweater I was wearing and just gave the thing up as a bad job.  Blood orange stains white counters quickly and badly.  I'm not sure about the sweater. 

The 'mess' went into the fridge to join tomorrow's mid-morning fruit drink and I made the quick and easy 'Wacky Cake' which Ed loves with Chocolate Ganache topping and went and lay down and read a book.  Well, I'm about to lie down to read a book.  So much for Blood Oranges.

• Sad 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Well today's supper cake was finally to be the Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake.  To that end, I attempted to supreme (regular or cooking pronunciation) three blood oranges and made quite a mess of it.  I ended up with a bowl of raggedy pieces and rather more juice than I had thought would be in them and blood orange juice on the counter and walls and the sweater I was wearing and just gave the thing up as a bad job.  Blood orange stains white counters quickly and badly.  I'm not sure about the sweater. 

The 'mess' went into the fridge to join tomorrow's mid-morning fruit drink and I made the quick and easy 'Wacky Cake' which Ed loves with Chocolate Ganache topping and went and lay down and read a book.  Well, I'm about to lie down to read a book.  So much for Blood Oranges.

Sounds "bloody" frustrating. I am happy with the olive oil orange cake that just uses zest and juice. Blood oranges would lend interesting color. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, heidih said:

Sounds "bloody" frustrating. I am happy with the olive oil orange cake that just uses zest and juice. Blood oranges would lend interesting color. 

I should be very happy to have a copy of your recipe, Heidi, if you don't mind.  And thanks. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, Darienne said:

Well today's supper cake was finally to be the Blood Orange Olive Oil Cake.  To that end, I attempted to supreme (regular or cooking pronunciation) three blood oranges and made quite a mess of it.  I ended up with a bowl of raggedy pieces and rather more juice than I had thought would be in them and blood orange juice on the counter and walls and the sweater I was wearing and just gave the thing up as a bad job....

Not sure you're in the mood to try again, but I wonder whether you could use a grapefruit knife.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

Not sure you're in the mood to try again, but I wonder whether you could use a grapefruit knife.

Good idea, but I no longer have one and I hesitate to ask Ed to try to find me one in Canadian Tire.  But I don't think even that is open for shopping at this point.  It will just have to wait.  

Secondly we live outside a very provincial small Ontario city and only one store is carrying Blood Oranges and I suspect that they will not be there for much longer.  They appeared only two weeks ago to start with. 

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

38 minutes ago, Darienne said:

I should be very happy to have a copy of your recipe, Heidi, if you don't mind.  And thanks. :wub:

Square 8 x 8 or so pan (I use Pyrex sprayed with cooking spray). 1-1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp each salt and baking soda, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup olive oil, 1 tsp vanilla, 3 tablespoons orange juice, 1 tablespoon orange zest. A touch of preferred warm spice like cinnamon, ginger or cardamom if desired. Mix by hand till all incorporated - don't overdo it. Not a super moist cake; ages well though. My Pyrex dish has a lid so I store it there at room temp.  350 degrees C for 25 to 30 minutes. Welcome anytime with tea or coffee. Bit of whipped cream wouldn't hurt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Square 8 x 8 or so pan (I use Pyrex sprayed with cooking spray). 1-1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp each salt and baking soda, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup olive oil, 1 tsp vanilla, 3 tablespoons orange juice, 1 tablespoon orange zest. A touch of preferred warm spice like cinnamon, ginger or cardamom if desired. Mix by hand till all incorporated - don't overdo it. Not a super moist cake; ages well though. My Pyrex dish has a lid so I store it there at room temp.  350 degrees C for 25 to 30 minutes. Welcome anytime with tea or coffee. Bit of whipped cream wouldn't hurt. 

Many thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Update to the blood orange situation.  

Ed had purchased have a dozen blood oranges, 3 of which were to go into the cake.  Quite by accident, apparently, I picked the wrong three.  As reported earlier, I could not separate the orange segments, also known as 'supremes', from the peel and made quite a mess.

Well, the remaining 3 oranges were easily supremes, with mess, and had they been picked first, we would have had a lovely Blood Orange Olive Oil cake.  

Today Ed is buying a few regular seedless navel oranges and we'll have the familiar Sunset Whole Orange Cake and I'll make more glaze than is called for which will make Ed happy.

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.