• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PBS's A Chef's Life

rotuts

PBS has a number of interesting cooking shows.  In my area they are broadcast on Sat.

One is called ' A Chef's Life'  Its on its second season.

episode 207 was broadcast this weekend.  'the Fish Episode, Y'all'

Chef Vivian Howard moves back to the Carolinas where she grew up and with her parents

support starts her own restaurant.  Chef makes very interesting observations about an area

i know little about.

in ep 207 she visits the locals and they make a fish soup that is a local favorite. She then

makes it in her own restaurant in her own manner.  This is a refreshing show. Cooking is great,

as are all the locals.  Granted as in all 'shows' there is editing, multiple takes, etc but this

show somehow puts you in Rural Carolina, the people and places quite vivid and Id like to assume

\

Real.

take a look :

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365308401/

hoping this works for you

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Yes, I love that show.  Stumbled on it last season so caught all those episodes.  Their first restaurant almost burns totally down.  They are left with a huge renovation to get it going again.  And now in this season they are opening another restaurant with a totally different menu/theme.  Much more causal that their first one.  It is interesting when she visits someone's home to see how they cook a classic dish.  Recipe handed down from generation to generation.  

• Like 1

Hope 'Y'all' enjoy them

see them in in order help you understand the difficulties of starting not just a new restaurant, but one with

'ideas' that don't fit 1000 % in the area, just 999 %

this has to do with Chef Viv, and condiments she choses not to put on the table

Season 1. 

enjoy.

I caught one episode the other day for the first time. The one where she visits the lady who makes fried chicken.

I really liked the show. A throw back to cooking shows that aren't all about the drama. Very homey. I like Vivian's persona.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

this show is very different from the best that Ive seen

its quite a bit better.

and Ive seen the best and these days most on my hard disk

there were many that Ive saved on tape. was that VHS 

I won't toss them out.

this show is about a culture Ive have no experience with but would enjoy spending time with.

Id enjoy another season but Ive had no indication this might happen

but Kudos to all of them for suggesting that there are a lot of stuff Ive never thought about.

that has deep roots, in this day and age, are not really that far way.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

good points

I do like their dog

on the apple show

there is a bit of vid on him sleeping upside down with 4 legs in the air

assuming Doggie was not drugged  ...........

and yes Ive had 2 fantastic Labs.

this one is very grateful for his or her life

can't say anything about the Ticks  ..............

:blink:

• Like 1

there was that Moonshine show

maybe Doggie developed a 'taste' for the 'Shine ?'

anyway  its a fine show

and it got tons of people to drive to their first restaurant.