• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How many bottles in check in /what to bring back from States, FL & Chgo

pto

I'm going to the States in a couple weeks and looking to bring back some goodies that are totally unavailable here. How many bottles would you imagine I could bring through without anyone giving me hassle on either end? I brought back 3 bottles last time I traveled internationally and no problem. I was hoping like 8 or more this time.

Btw, the hardest thing to find where I live is different kinds of rum(Lots of variety here within other spirits). I was thinking of bringing back Smith and Cross, Lemonheart, Pussers, Barbancourt. Maybe some artisinal bourbon? Rum agricole is pretty easy to get here. FEW from Evanston, IL any good?

Best liquor stores in Chicago(area)? Anything I could find in Florida that I couldn't get in Chicago?

You can bring as much alcohol as you like into China, but for any more than 1.5 litres of anything over 12% ABV you have to pay duty. If your visa allows you more than 6 months stay, you can double that to 3 litres..

http://www.ebeijing.gov.cn/feature_2/Sino_ltaly_culture_year/Info/Beijing/t921036.htm

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Heading to Orlando next week so I'm interested in this too. Also, where would be the best place to shop?

Edited by Hassouni (log)

I'm going to the States in a couple weeks and looking to bring back some goodies that are totally unavailable here. How many bottles would you imagine I could bring through without anyone giving me hassle on either end? I brought back 3 bottles last time I traveled internationally and no problem. I was hoping like 8 or more this time.

Btw, the hardest thing to find where I live is different kinds of rum(Lots of variety here within other spirits). I was thinking of bringing back Smith and Cross, Lemonheart, Pussers, Barbancourt. Maybe some artisinal bourbon? Rum agricole is pretty easy to get here. FEW from Evanston, IL any good?

Best liquor stores in Chicago(area)? Anything I could find in Florida that I couldn't get in Chicago?

Binny's is probably your best bet for wide range of options in Chicago.

[ETA: I misread the topic...thought it was about bringing booze back to the U.S...never mind.]

On bringing volume back into the U.S., I've found ORD to be one of the laxest customs arrivals points in the country. For years, we would take 2 trips a year to France and return with at least a case of wine (usually two) in the checked luggage. We always declared the full value of what we were bringing in, and were never once asked to pay any tax. Worth noting, the trigger for customs duty on alcohol is based on volume, but the volume you are transporting isn't requested on the form...something of a loophole, and an opportunity to play dumb.

On a few occasions where we had connections coming into the country (D.C. and Miami, specifically) we did get some extra scrutiny for the volume we were carrying, and the agents intimated that they could make us go stand in the line to pay tax on the excess, but ultimately the total dollar value on what we had wasn't significant enough to make it worth their while, and they may have been swayed by our insistence that everything was for personal consumption.

Edited by KD1191 (log)

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Follow up question.

Is there anywhere in Orlando that stocks Clear Creek ( or more specifically, their douglas fir eau de vie ) ?

Alternatively, anywhere online that could ship to orlando within a few days?

Scroll to the bottom.

Borisal is Drink Up NY and they ship to Florida. Alas no Douglas Fir. They have other Clear Creek stuff.

However Binny's in Chicago (in limited quantities) and K&L appear to have it and they appear to ship to Florida. May need to call to confirm. Shipping for one bottle would be pricey for what is already a pretty pricey bottle!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have no idea if a local Orlando store would have it!

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)
  • Like 1

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I would not order from Drinkupny if you need your order in a few days. Their selection, prices, and willingness to ship pretty much anywhere are awesome, but they do not move quickly. I placed an order early yesterday, and 24 hours later it has still only processed, not shipped. This has happened with previous orders too. I don't really mind, as ordering online is a luxury I only engaging in once or twice a year, but if you need something quick they are not the way to go.

I would not order from Drinkupny if you need your order in a few days. Their selection, prices, and willingness to ship pretty much anywhere are awesome, but they do not move quickly. I placed an order early yesterday, and 24 hours later it has still only processed, not shipped. This has happened with previous orders too. I don't really mind, as ordering online is a luxury I only engaging in once or twice a year, but if you need something quick they are not the way to go.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Binny's is awesome. I saw several items on their website that I wanted. A few of them were listed as "Limited stock/please call" and were only available at one or two ocations(and not one convenient for me). I emailed them in the morning asking if I could pay for them now online, and pick them up on Feb 19 when I'm in Chicago. That night they replied that they were holding my order at the Lincoln Park store until Feb 21 and that I could pay upon pick up. How cool.