• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Club House Sandwich: Is there a standard?

Beth Wilson

Not long after those two recipes were published, the consensus becomes that a club sandwich is a hot toast sandwich..usually layered.

Recipes were all over the place in terms of ingredients from the very beginning.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Not long after those two recipes were published, the consensus becomes that a club sandwich is a hot toast sandwich..usually layered.

Recipes were all over the place in terms of ingredients from the very beginning.

But if we had all stuck to placing our orders properly none of this chaos would have occurred. To whit

Toasted club on white, crispy bacon and extra mayo on the side, please.

Edited because my dictation was changed and no longer made sense.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ham and cheese on a club? But why? You might as well put fried squirrel in it. Oh wait, if you catch the squirrel and then club it to death you really do have a club sandwich. I like to keep a foot in both camps. One foot in the so-called "open minded" camp and the other in the camp that allows you to acknowledge a really bad idea.

Or sardines....

VwIUFrA.png

Source: Good Housekeeping, Volume 46, 1908, Page 212.

Or Cottage Cheese (with variations)....

g039pnm.png

fGk4S2v.png

Source, USDA Bulletin, Cottage-cheese dishes: economical, wholesome, delicious, 1918.

How about tongue???.......

jaU0Wdc.png

Source: The Club Woman's Cook Book: A Collection of Tested Recipes, Mrs. Thos. F. Quimby, 1911.

And many more....  :smile:

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

A relative of mine owns a restaurant that has been an institution for decades...His Club Sandwich has always and only contained turkey for the 47 years Ive been alive and more than that.

I love a turkey club....REAL turkey only, not those cold-cut cannonballs!!!!!

I found turkey club recipes back to ~1900.

zyQPGAC.png

Source: Snap Shots at Cookery, by Church of the Ascension, Buffalo, N.Y., 1899, Page 149.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

Okay, Im reading some of these recipes, and Im gonna be bitchy here but look if I see one more sandwich being made on tv where the mayo is spread on the filling and NOT the bread Ill scream! The mayo only belongs on the bread dagnammit! Its as bad as seeing people make PB&Js where they spread the jelly on the Peanut Butter.  you cannot get proper coverage and distribution when the slippery ingredient is spread on the slippery ingredients..Not to mention that if you  need more "spread" you will contaminate the jar or need to dirty another knife or spoon.

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

No, no, no - bbq, veggie burger, and chili (somewhat) are categories, not specific foods.  The club(house) sandwich is a specific item - in my mind, that's what differentiates it, and why bastardization of so many menu items is annoying.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Unbelievable 90-post thread in one day. Nothing like club sandwiches to get eGulleteers going!

(P.S. 3 slices of toasted bread, must be cut into 4 triangles, may contain ham but never cheese, PLUS any type of meat if specified in the description + B, L, T. The order of ingredients is beyond me but I agree with whomever said the mayo must be spread on the bread. In my family, the tomatoes would always be salted and dusted with fresh-ground black pepper.)

• Like 2

For all the back and forth about sandwich contents I haven't seen anyone mention what I consider to be a vital element: a large, cold, quarter or two of a crunchy dill pickle. On the side. For eating between club triangles.

• Like 1

A relative of mine owns a restaurant that has been an institution for decades...His Club Sandwich has always and only contained turkey for the 47 years Ive been alive and more than that.

Yep - a turkey club!

veggie burgers don't exist!

This I agree with.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Too bad those people didn't have any jam around the house, they could have made a pretty decent sandwich. Without the jam however, one crucial step was ignored. The knife should be kept at hand until the sandwich is consumed in order to pry open your jaw afterwards.

• Like 1

Best accompaniment.....another club sandwich.   :smile:

Actually, I consider one club sandwich, only, enough of a meal, although they're usually severed with a a pickle and potato chips around here.

• Like 2

In my sheltered existence I don't recall ever having been served a club sandwich with coleslaw or potato salad.

Potato chips are what I've always seen as a side for club sandwiches in most places!  86 the dill pickles however.

• Like 2

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Just for reference, in 1918, Frances Elizabeth Stewart defined a club sandwich as "a toast sandwich arranged in layers."

Her recipe features a variety of contents and garnishes.

OWolHsR.png

Source: Lessons in Cookery: Food Economy by Frances Elizabeth Stewart , Copyright 1918

• Like 2

Whatever is in a club sandwich, I've always seen it as a "club sandwich." I don't think I've ever run into a "club house sandwich." Is it possible that the two are not synonymous?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Whatever is in a club sandwich, I've always seen it as a "club sandwich." I don't think I've ever run into a "club house sandwich." Is it possible that the two are not synonymous?

• Like 1