• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide "Map" From Chef Steps

weinoo

Anyone else see this sous vide "map?"

Click.

Using this map, you'll see that steak cooks at very different times and temperatures than potatoes or fish do, but salmon and halibut are pretty similar, and steaks and pork chops are about the same, too. Grouping foods by type allows us to visualize the Wide World of Sous Vide, where time and temperature determine location. Fish cook in cooler waters down south, while succulent braises can be found in the northeast, where cook times are longer. If it's vegetables you want, head up north, where temperatures are highest.
  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

If you scroll down the linked page a little you'll come to another link for 'Just the numbers'.

Depending on how your head works - I hate mindmaps! - you may find this a better presentation.  I've printed it for my own reference.

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction, Mitch.

• Like 2

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory