• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dominican Republic - Rum

TicTac

I'll bet that you could find that information on Ed Hamilton's Ministry of Rum website.  He's an eG poster - you might find some info by searching within eG as well.

I've had a couple of "mules" make the trip.  Most that is easily available in the DR is easily accessible in the states at prices that are fairly comparable.  If your looking for something out of the ordinary it depends on what you desire in a rum and the dedication of your mule.  The company that has the most interesting lineup is Oliver and Oliver.  I am not sure if they offer tours and what, if anything is available on a tour.  Any offerings that are aged longer (say 10+ years), bottled at higher than normal strength or aged in something other than a bourbon barrel are what I would search for.

Thanks.

Sadly up here in the Great White North (Ontario, specifically), while we may we have the largest liquor buying consortium in the world, the selection they offer; is the pits!

I will look into Ed's suggestions as well as Oliver and Oliver, as mentioned.

Edited by TicTac (log)

Of the three B's of Dominican rum it seems like Bermudez is the one I see the least in the States. It is reportedly the rum used by 35 Maple St in their Kirk & Sweeney rum but I can't recall the last time I saw it on a shelf under it's own name. It could be here but just not where I am. I might look for the Bermudez Anniversario, a 10 or so year old rum. Pretty affordable in the DR I am told.

The liquor I always here about from the DR is Mamajuana, some sort of local blend or rum and local herbs and spices I think. I have seen it here in the US on occasion but never bought any. Like many of these types of things it is supposed to cure what ever ails you and of course is also an aphrodisiac!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2