• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Silicone Coated Whisks

Shel_B

I have used them, and frankly, I hate them.

On the better models, you pay a bit more, for nothing; on the worse models, you pay a bit more, just to get a loose silicone covering which allows food to get inside the coating, and never come out again. The only real advantage I can personally see, is in safely using them inside of non-stick cookware, but even then...I hate them.

• Like 1

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...

I have a Le Creuset silicone whisk.  I use it only in Le Creuset pots to prevent scratching the enamel.  However the whisk is of very poor design.  The handle is weighted so that when left unattended the whisk has a tendency to flip itself and a quantity of ice cream mix out onto the floor.  Don't ask me how I know this.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

My mom gave me one...it was okay until the silicone coating peeled off.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I find that they're very flimsy compared to the SS whisk. I hadn't used them before, and I bought a couple back when I was decorating my new chocolate kitchen. I fully intended on using them. But after giving them a whirl, I'll only use them for light weight jobs, like mixing liquid components. They are absolutely not made for anything thick that can fling across the kitchen or splat you in the face. (Been there, done that.)

The ONLY good point I've found is that they come in some wild colors that very cool in my pink shop/kitchen. :raz:

HTH....

Andrea

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Tried them. didn't like them.  I use metal balloon whisks in my non-stick cookware and have never worried about it. I can not envision the round metal wires digging into the non-stick surface and have never noticed any degradation. Now that I have a proper saucier 95% of my whisk work in that.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I have exactly one and I use it in a non stick pan for my version of scrambled eggs. The eggs and the occasional reheating of soup are the only reason I have the non stick pan, too. :)

It works well for eggs (but I had a couple duds - had to work to find one that wasn't stupidly floppy) but if I actually need to whisk something like egg whites, it is not the tool I reach for.