• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spiralized vegetables and vegetable rices

Franci

Even though I am a serious gadget junkie I do not see the point in spiralizing anything.

Maybe I'm just too much of a practical thinker.

Not that anyone else shouldn't spiralize their brains out and enjoy it.

• Like 2

I don't have a spiralizer, but do covet one. I like the raw carrot and daikon garnish that has been given that treatment at one of our better Asian restaurants here.  It's very pretty, and tasty too. It's cool to actually eat garnishes now, right? I'll be doing it anyway. :laugh:

I would also like to try zucchini spaghetti as a low-carb alternative, but I expect it would stand very brief cooking before going mushy. You know, I just thought, I do have some veggie peelers, and one of them takes off a pretty thick piece. So I may try zucchini fettuccine with the equipment I have. OR? Wonder how it would work to score a zuke in parallel lines lengthwise, and then use the peeler perpendicularly to them?

I have no budget for kitchen gadgets (or much of anything else) right now, but I'm very much enjoying this topic and everyone else's experiences with spiralizers.

> ^ . . ^ <

8 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

<snip>

I would also like to try zucchini spaghetti as a low-carb alternative, but I expect it would stand very brief cooking before going mushy. You know, I just thought, I do have some veggie peelers, and one of them takes off a pretty thick piece. So I may try zucchini fettuccine with the equipment I have. OR? Wonder how it would work to score a zuke in parallel lines lengthwise, and then use the peeler perpendicularly to them?

I have no budget for kitchen gadgets (or much of anything else) right now, but I'm very much enjoying this topic and everyone else's experiences with spiralizers.

Like you, I don't have a spiralizer and have been enjoying following everyone's experiences with them.  I tried the zucchini spaghetti a couple of times last summer, using a peeler. I don't remember to what degree I troubled to adjust the widths. Let us know what happens if you score the zuc first; it sounds fiddly but might get the widths more even.  (By any chance do you have a julienne peeler?  That might be just the ticket!) FWIW the 'noodles' did cook quickly and came out well.  Even the zucchini-hater in our household liked it.  I didn't tell him what it was until after he gave an opinion. :D 

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@SmithyI don't have a julienne peeler, but I don't think it would be anymore challenging to do this with a knife and peeler than my usual treatment of zucchini. I usually slice it in slabs, lengthwise, dredge in flour and fry in shallow oil. It's very good, but involves cleaning up the stove after frying, which is one of my most hated kitchen chores. Then I have to deal with the used oil, which isn't reusable because of the flour that came loose in it, and scorches if you try to use is again.

For some reason, I don't mind knife work at all and even find it sort of zen-like.

I just put zucchini and parsley on the shopping list. I think I'll give it a try with a little garlic butter and flatleaf parsley. Maybe some parmesan to finish.

@ShelbyThanks for the tips about tossing the zoodles with the hot sauce. I'll add them with the parsley.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

• 3 years later...

Old thread revive.

I have a manual Benriner spiralizer, which I use couple times a month on average.  I had always been enamored of the Japanese vegetable sheet cutters but the price and reviews did not thrill me.

Kitchenaid just came out with a mixer accessory that's a sheet cutter.   I'm thinking a lot about this and the possibilities of being able to use veg in a different form in dishes.  The price isn't that bad and it's sorta, kinda, not a unitasker since it's an accessory to my heavily used mixer.  Rationalizations anyone?  

This video makes it look fun.

So, longshot, does anyone have one yet and if so, what do you think of it?

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, lemniscate said:

Old thread revive.

I have a manual Benriner spiralizer, which I use couple times a month on average.  I had always been enamored of the Japanese vegetable sheet cutters but the price and reviews did not thrill me.

Kitchenaid just came out with a mixer accessory that's a sheet cutter.   I'm thinking a lot about this and the possibilities of being able to use veg in a different form in dishes.  The price isn't that bad and it's sorta, kinda, not a unitasker since it's an accessory to my heavily used mixer.  Rationalizations anyone?  

This video makes it look fun.

So, longshot, does anyone have one yet and if so, what do you think of it?

I have one of the Kitchenaid ones - lost it somewhere in the house for a while - haven't played with it yet. Did buy some huge carrots from the Korean store to try on it though.

• Like 2